The Dark Mod Forums

Warping issue

Hypevosa

I don't really know how to describe my problem other than to say that the game is warping vertically and horizontally. It looks like the screen is dancing stretching up and down and side to side. An unusual thing was that the little page of text you get using a readable is unaffected, but the background still warps. I tried messing with the graphics settings, and it's set correctly for my resolution and ratio.

Anyone know what's going on, or hopefully how I could fix it? I just got a new computer and it can actually take running the dark mod at a speed that's tollerable, and I'd really like to be able to play the game. This problem is just far too distracting to ignore.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this persists after disabling Catalyst AI, please could you upload a screenshot of the problem :)

(hit f12 in game to take a screenshot, the screenshot will be saved in \doom3\(map name)\screenshots)

I don't have an ATI card but an integrated intel card. It's not something you can take a screenshot of, because the problem is that the stretching is instant and changes directions. Just imagine that one second the screen is fine, then something instantly pulls it wide, and then it reverts, and something instantly pulls it tall.

I've found that the driver I have has an update, I'll try applying that and see what works.

graphics driver is now up to date, but didn't help any.

I'm running the "mobile intel 4 series express chipset family" as the graphics card. The utility that comes with it change things is the "intel graphics and media control panel". There's another thing called :intel graphics media accelerator driver for mobile".

I see no option to turn bloom off in the TDM menus? o.O

I see no option to turn bloom off in the TDM menus? o.O

sure! the bloom-option was banished from the available settings, to avoid different problems that some pc-systems encountered while having this feature activated.

however, u can still easlily deactivate this option: open the console and then type in "r_bloom 0" - that's it

(hint: u can reactivate it at any time with "r_bloom 1")

sure! the bloom-option was banished from the available settings, to avoid different problems that some pc-systems encountered while having this feature activated.

however, u can still easlily deactivate this option: open the console and then type in "r_bloom 0" - that's it

(hint: u can reactivate it at any time with "r_bloom 1")

open what console, where?

I take it I need to open a file as a text doc or something?

Ok, I've come to a new understanding. It's not that my view of the game is perpetually stretching, it's that the world itself in the game is stretching randomly. Everything suddenly is stretched by a factor of two. If I stand still it switches between what looks right, and being double the height it should be (in the outpost I see the stone bridge column with the torch on it at the beginning of the level double in height, along with everything else. Moving back and forth/side to side I see that what once looked like a 10 foot walk to the torch, turns into a 30 foot stretch. It's a really strange and interesting effect, and I'd make a hypercam vid of it if it wouldn't take 2 days to post on youtube, and your file attach was bigger than 500kb.

I'll try switching to the lower quality shader.

Ok, I've come to a new understanding. It's not that my view of the game is perpetually stretching, it's that the world itself in the game is stretching randomly. Everything suddenly is stretched by a factor of two. If I stand still it switches between what looks right, and being double the height it should be (in the outpost I see the stone bridge column with the torch on it at the beginning of the level double in height, along with everything else. Moving back and forth/side to side I see that what once looked like a 10 foot walk to the torch, turns into a 30 foot stretch. It's a really strange and interesting effect, and I'd make a hypercam vid of it if it wouldn't take 2 days to post on youtube, and your file attach was bigger than 500kb.

I'll try switching to the lower quality shader.

tried messing with the shader and with the ambient rendering... no dice.

I think a good clue probably lies in the fact that the world is effected, but the hud and the text pop up readables are unaffected by it. I don't really know what to do about that though.

this issue would rally be funny, if it would not kill the fun-factor for you :/

sorry, if have neither heard of such problems, nor do i have any further ideas... but sounds really strange, that the WORLD/MAP seems to go "crazy" but not the whole screen...

well, one poor last idea would be to re-install the whole TDM/fm-data... if u didnt try this jet...

if it wasn't so unnerving, yeah... it could be a fun mechanic for a maw of chaos level or something.

It happens on all FMs, it was kinda psychadelic seeing it happen to the NMH one with that opening to the level getting all distorted....

anyways I have a video now, I'll upload it to my photobucket and let you know when it's there. Its only like 20 seconds and it's a 50 mb video... stupid hypercam...

Does anyone have a better ap for recording video on your pc?

A bit odd that I cant find doom3 related issues with similar keywords/problems.

Did you update your graphics driver from the Intel site or your laptop's manufacturers ? you might want to get it directly from Intel, they have a tool that detects and updates stuff if you dont have specifics.

some kind of "maw"... hehe yes, alternatively: a "feature" for yome kind of a HAUNTED place :)

ah, just one more question: does this "bug" only appear when executing the darkmod or also when playing the pure doom3 game (without any mods activated) ?

You can try "FRAPS" demo version which allows 30 second clips. You can try Avidemux or VirtualDub to transcode the video you already have to a lower bitrate/filesize

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

finally got the movie to upload, full size, and full of warpy wobbles.

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/Hypevosa/?action=view&current=clip0003.flv

Remember, the readables are unaffected though the world around them still does it, and this doesn't happen at all in the doom 3 game, which means it's something specifically occurring with TDM code.

Whoa there, that's some kinda strange.

What OS are you using? XP? Vista/7?

I know in the past we have had people using Intel gfx without too much of an issue (tho I think one had to swap to fast ambient) this however is a whole lot of strange.

I've been trying to play with it, but really it's no dice, where it really messes with your head is when you're attempting to make a shot with an arrow.

Is there any kind of environment I can run TDM in, or some monitoring program, or something, that would allow me to see what on earth is telling the game to warp out like this? Is there a list of things that are TDM specific regarding POV and angling or anything like that that might be switching back and forth for some reason?

I've been looking forward to being able to finally play TDM for a long, long time. I'm willing to do just about anything, and have since tried messing with my resolution and the game's, and even tried turning off one processor (though I was sure that wouldn't do anything).

If I uninstall the driver for my graphics card... I'd still be able to reinstall it back when I wanted to right? I'm thinking of trying this but want to be sure it won't be irreversible.

Edited by Hypevosa

Are you playing on a laptop or HTPC of sorts? Why not buy a cheap graphics card frm ATI or Nvidia and have the game run flawlessly and much much faster? A 50 Dollar card should do the job.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.