The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Alchemist by Sotha & Fidcal(2010/06/01)

Fidcal

I haven't had time to play the mission yet, I just loaded it up to the starting point, so I won't read the spoiler.

It's definitely been caused by the way the timed stims were handled in the idGameLocal class.

It's definitely been caused by the way the timed stims were handled in the idGameLocal class.

Well, then I think you've probably solved another huge problem if it wasn't just about the particular (spiked balls) :)

Yeah, don't read the spoilers there.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

i didn't have any problems with save games and I reloaded a lot of times, the only problem I had was with the combination lock, the console said the combination was correct but the door didn't open, I guess thats due to having auto open unlocked doors off in options, so I just noclipped through the door.

The combo lock problem was my script error which is now fixed. You can either download the patch or download the FM again (see earlier in this thread.)

The spiky balls are 'firing' (testing) every three seconds all the time the FM is running so even if you are nowhere near them there may be a problem. I could disable them until you are close but then I would have to test every N seconds to see if you are close! :laugh:

I just wanted to make sure that it was a more "universal" problem with regards to triggers/firings/stims or these things I don't really know much about... because from what I experienced there were a lot of those kinds of things in the mission. Which was great....

It's good to know that the fix will slay a whole slew of slippery slopes and such.

But, before I go: curious I am: would it not be possible to tie the 'firing' (?script activation?) to the actual picking up (frobbing) of said 'spy key bulls'?

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

You don't have to pick them up. Just contact with the spikes is enough to do damage to any character, player or AI. The normal spiky ball is more dangerous like in Oblivion it is triggered by a trap and swings down and does a lot of damage. It has to test frequently or it could test just before it hits the player and just after and not do damage at all. Plus impossible to pick up without dying. But in Alchemist I reduced its potency and frequency because they were stationary. When I first set it up I could cut a swathe through the enemy and they fell like ninepins! :laugh: I knew that everyone would hate that ;) so I reduced them.

Well , at least this mission gives new meaning to the word ghosting. With the AI sensitivity plus the saving problems you really have to ghost to win !

So near yet so far . I got away from the start point unharmed after a bit of fun with the watch there. Made my way over the wall, unlocked the metal gate and went through the guardhouse or whatever it is. I was too afraid to explore it for fear of getting caught as I'd had to restart enough times already! I dowsed all torches along the way and came across what looked to be a mansion(?). No watch around and all quiet , so I made a named save in a dark corner. No joy though as Doom crashed when I tried to reload it.

I can only play in half hour sessions so don't think I will be able to finish it unless it's ever revamped. Great mission on the face of it though and it's improved my ghosting at the very least . I'd just love to be able to explore all the map further.

raymeld & others: The gamesave crashes should be fixed by the next Dark Mod update. I've just made a quick temporary patch you might try if you don't want to wait. No promises as there may be other things causing the same problem as well. I just made the spiky balls static. Not even tested it. it can be downloaded from:

http://www.fidcal.com/TEMP/alchemist_patch2.zip

Close Dark Mod

Unzip the patch into your game folder doom3\alchemist

Start the FM afresh, don't use earlier gamesaves.

Let me know if that fixes or at least alleviates it.

raymeld & others: The gamesave crashes should be fixed by the next Dark Mod update. I've just made a quick temporary patch you might try if you don't want to wait. No promises as there may be other things causing the same problem as well. I just made the spiky balls static. Not even tested it. it can be downloaded from:

http://www.fidcal.co...mist_patch2.zip

Close Dark Mod

Unzip the patch into your game folder doom3\alchemist

Start the FM afresh, don't use earlier gamesaves.

Let me know if that fixes or at least alleviates it.

I dumped the map file from the zip straight into the .pk4 over the top of the old one, and was able to reload, even in combat, successfully.

What were the spiked balls supposed to do?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Thank you very much Fidcal , will let you know how I get on in due course. Thanks once again for all your good work.

Fidcal, the patch works like a dream. Thank you.

Thiefette: Hint:

Plates are 35. It's doubtful you'd have missed just one out of the pile of plates in the dining room so my guess is an old plate in full view but might not be recognized as loot. You might have grabbed something nearby and not seen this. If interested see next spoiler.

Where it's NOT:

NOT in Vaydeth's mansion but elsewhere.

Spoiler:

Evidence in city watch captain's office

Confirming that game crashes when loading savegame with alerted guards nearby. However, i managed to get into house with this number combination lock, saved there, and i´m fine, save works, no need for patch

now.

i entered the number code, pulled the lever, get opening sound... it´s just that little door on that house model that is opening? What to do with that? Or do i need to find the house the model is referring to? Or missing something else?

Edited by Trickster

Hi, Fidcal and Sotha. Great FM so far, but apparently I am stuck in the

mansion. I have checked out the complete city and sewers(I guess) and the whole mansion besides the one with the combination lock and the room next to it, with a locked and non-pickable door. I don't know how I should get in. I tried some of the combinations from the letter found at the inventor on the combination lock without any luck. I found nancy's note, saying there is a way to the masters room through an adjoining one and something about a cupboard. I assume I can get into that room through the library, since there is an awkwardly positioned picture over a bookshelf, but I couldn't find a way to open that passage, if there is one at all. Any hints on the combination or the picture?

Trickster,

You're a long way from having explored the mission. It's big.

STiFU,

You're definitely on the right track.

Edited by aidakeeley

Sure, STiFU,

There was obviously some mess-up about a cupboard, it was a bookcase. I think that readable was written before the mission got filled in properly and the mess arose from Fidcal inheriting it from Sotha... .. . . . . .

Now you can relax and get the code and let us know if the mechanism works; there's been some trouble with it, but I think Fidcal fixed it... .. . . .

Let us know. Ok?

Edited by aidakeeley

STiFU:

The clues are correct but part is for something else. You are right to notice that oddly positioned painting in the library. Search around for something nearby to enable the picture then you can use it.

Ok, I am finished with all loot. That's a first-timer for me in TDM I think, at least on the first run. Very neat FM. It took me quite some time to figure out how to do the ending without being detected.

Are you actually supposed to put a chest on the lowered plank to extend the shadow? I find this solution rather "hacky".

The cupboard in that letter is referring to the one in the master's room, with the zombie and the combination inside. Maybe the hint about how to enter the room was a little too subtle, but well.

The combination look worked fine with "Open on unlock" disabled (my default setting).

I also had no problems with saves whatsoever.

@Fidcal: aidakeeley's hint was already sufficient to finish the map, but thanks anyway. ;)

The cupboard in that letter is referring to the one in the master's room, with the zombie...

I was hoping to lull you into forgetting about the "sound from the cupboard"... ;)

To make you think you'd heard the sound; and the cupboard was mislabeled;

And;

Then;

You'd get thefuckscaredoutofyou:ph34r:

That's what I was really wanting to hear back from you about :laugh: