The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Vocals

Springheel

I have to agree with others that this particular voice doesn't work very well for the noblewoman.

I tend to agree with what has already been said above.

Since she is actually British, I'd love to hear her natural accent...it might wind up being perfect for generic townswomen.

I can just have her perform more or less the same lines as the male counterparts for the non-noble characters

If we can settle on an actress, I'll create a specific townswoman script (and then start work on actually getting the barmaid mesh rigged).

Does she really have a native British accent? To me it sounds almost like she's Swedish or German or something, putting on a British accent for the recording.

Perhaps if you have her record some lines just in her native accent, it would be easier to suggest what role she would be suited for. I have to agree with others that this particular voice doesn't work very well for the noblewoman.

Judging from the responses from others, I think you may have misinterpreted what they said, or mistook which actress they were talking about, but at any rate I'll ask her to perform some lines in her native (still-British) accent.

If we can settle on an actress, I'll create a specific townswoman script

I suggest a brief audition script for us (whoever else is working on getting voice actresses) to use ahead of time, containing a few lines you consider most important to make a determination. Among the actors I've worked with it's standard practise to provide audition lines for the different characters that are available, and the actors can try out for various roles. I still don't even know how many roles are available, unless the two you've mentioned are the only ones, noble and townswoman/barmaid. I could probably recruit a wider range of prospects with that.

The only one we really need now is the noblewoman. The others will be nice, but none of the other female characters are game-ready yet. Technically there's no hard limit for how many vocal sets we will eventually want, though there's probably a functional limit to how many it is worthwhile to include in the main mod download.

I can come up with a few audition lines in the meantime.

Judging from the responses from others, I think you may have misinterpreted what they said, or mistook which actress they were talking about, but at any rate I'll ask her to perform some lines in her native (still-British) accent.

I wasn't referring to what other people said, but on the recording you posted. As a native Brit myself, she definitely sounds "different" in some way, but I'm not sure if that is her natural voice or because she is putting on an accent for the noblewoman.

I think the audition lines approach sounds like a good idea.

@Orbweaver: I was talking about your "I have to agree with others" comment, but never mind.

@Springheel: I know you said only the noblewoman is ready, but this all started because you said there was a different female model that you would only start rigging if voices were available. What I'm asking is: what characters/models currently exist and are not available to use yet for these reasons? I've seen the mute noblewoman in the Heart of Lone Salvation, as well as the sleeping pagan woman, and the zombie(?) woman in the same FM, so that's 3.

Anyway, if you're providing some lines, then I'll wait before asking her to record again.

Edited by Tch

What I'm asking is: what characters/models currently exist and are not available to use yet for these reasons?

The barmaid/whore model that I mentioned above is modeled and textured, but needs to be rigged. I have a servant girl model partially completed and a pagan woman model partially completed, both of which would need rigging after they were complete.

@aidakeeley: Things seem to be making progress to me.

@Springheel: Okay, that is useful. I can offer all of those roles to prospective actresses, unless there's any reason not to have the sound sets available for use before the models are ready. If nothing else, finding a voice you like may drive which model(s) to give higher priority.

You don't even necessarily need to make up new audition lines. Just put an asterisk next to lines you really want to hear in the noblewoman script, and I'll make up some character-based variations myself based on the sound sets for the existing characters.

Here are some example lines:

"I'm getting so bored of this..."

"He’s a proper gentleman, and a good match. She’d be mad not to accept.”

“Hmm...I don’t care for that colour at all. Not at all.”

"I thought I heard something..."

"Oh my, what is that?"

"If I see a rat I shall scream."

" Who is spying on me from the shadows?"

“How dare you lurk in the shadows like that? Come forward, I order you.”

"The rogue has escaped, for now."

"Perhaps it was just the shadows moving."

This is not going to end well unless someone steps in here and says, "this is not going to end well," so that you guys can prove him wrong.

This is not going to end well.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

i cant see the sendspace.com site, I can usually work out what part of britain they're from according to their accent some of the accents here are really rough and hard to understand even if you are from britain, so you should avoid using them, like the new robin hood film if they'ed used the accent for the region its supposed to be set it, the rest of the world would need subtitles.

3rd time now, in her natural accent:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sbsue6

She recorded these before I got the list of what lines to focus on, but in any case I still need to send her the lines from other parts as reference. How's the accent?

3rd time now, in her natural accent:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sbsue6

She recorded these before I got the list of what lines to focus on, but in any case I still need to send her the lines from other parts as reference. How's the accent?

As a non-native speaker, I think fine. It has the "british" ring to it, but is not so overly stark that one immidiately thinks "oh, shes gonna order a pint and swear like a horse any moment now" as one had f.i. with Lord of The Rings :)

Edit: It is also easily understandable for non-native speakers, so this is always a good sign, because there is little chance we will ever get other languages that English.

Edit #2: My GF (works with a speech therapist, so she is a bit more sensitive to such things) remarks that the actress might have a slight lisp, esp. noticable at the start (where words with "th" are followed or preceded by words starting "s" or "c"). That's not nec. bad, but it might be audible when she does two or more characters and their voices share the common lisp :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yes, this sounds quite nice now.

This accent would still work for a young noblewoman, actually. Feel free to go ahead with the noblewoman lines; I can start working on some generic townswoman lines in the meantime.

Is there a sound set in the works for a merchant type? E.g. somebody like Ramirez in the first Thief game, or a similar fellow. Or just generics?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

There is an Average Jack merchant who has a few unique idle lines.

atdm:ai_vocal_set_jack_merchant_01

Aha! Thank you. I will look into them.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

the first voice sounds like she's from ohio.

2nd voice sounds like someone posh from north kent, bit like keira knightly

3rd voice sounds like she from down south, also probably kent. (more like a scullery maid in a posh house.)

posh women would not say 'what' it would be 'pardon' or 'pardon me but did something make a noise.'

If your trying to define a british accent then for common language you'll be wanting someone from either the east end of london or southend.

if you use a midland accent or a north west, or north east accent there's a fair chance that 99% of all americans will not understand a single word., eg there's a village north of where I am, on the map its written as 'rainworth' the locals pronounce it as 'rannurth'.

As for posh accent anyone who's posh they mainly all sound the same.

Edited by stumpy

If your trying to define a british accent then for common language you'll be wanting someone from either the east end of london or southend.

I don't think we want too many east London accents in TDM. We're not making a Mary Poppins mod.

or north east accent there's a fair chance that 99% of all americans will not understand a single word.

Well, that's me out of the picture then. I've lived in Hull for too long.

But regarding accents for the mod: I think it would be worth trying to avoid any regional accents. Ideally it would be great not to be able to distinguish between whether they are American, English, etc. Many of the vocal sets from Thief do this, and it works so well. Articulate, but neutral.