The Dark Mod Forums

Collaboration etiquette

bambini

A while ago I was working on a level with another mapper, but it kinda fell by the wayside as life got in the way for both of us (you know how it is).

I've recently decided to get back on the project, and I've sent a message to the other mapper to see if they were still interested and if not, would they mind if I continued building on their work to finish the map off. The trouble is that they haven't replied and I don't know if they are still active on the forums.

We've both submitted different sections of the map that would eventually be combined to make the final level, but by far the most substantial and complete section has come from the other mapper. Do people think it would be OK to continue the work, even without their explicit permission? This is going to involve editing their work to fit into the rest of the level.

On the one hand, I figure that their share of the submitted work was submitted on the assumption that it would be used in the map and possibly edited, but on the other I'm not sure I feel comfortable editing another's intellecutal property without clear permission. They will of course be credited either way.

What is the correct way to go about this?

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

If you are talking about these forums you can see when they were last here by checking their profile (clicking on their name, as I did your... just now).

As for etiquette. It seems you are trying your best to clear things so you can't do anything beyond that. I'd say ypu should go ahead if you've got the inspiration. It's hardly going to be construed as some sinister plot...

Beware though, if it does come to light that you've put this whole charade together just to defraud the other (and to hatch this scheme upon the trusting community, no less!) you will be dealt with. You will be dealt with!

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

If it's a couple of months or more since you heard anything and he gave no explanation (eg, I'm studying for exams for a few weeks but will be back later) then I would send him one more polite pm saying.

"Just a reminder about this project but I'm anxious to continue. Let me know within a week or so if you want to continue work on this. If by then I've not heard from you I'll continue work on the assumption that you were always intending that your part was to be included. Hope that's OK? Naturally you will be fully credited with your part. Thanks."

That puts the ball in his park.

That's my view; you should perhaps wait for some other views before proceeding.

If you are talking about these forums you can see when they were last here by checking their profile (clicking on their name, as I did your... just now).

Well, I did do that a few days ago, but didn't want to mention it in case I came across as some kind of forum voyeur smile.gif It turns out that the person in question last logged in a few hours after I sent them a message. Methinks they recevied an email notification, checked in to read the message but did not reply.

Beware though, if it does come to light that you've put this whole charade together just to defraud the other (and to hatch this scheme upon the trusting community, no less!) you will be dealt with. You will be dealt with!

I'll be good, I promise laugh.gif

@Fidcal: Probably a good idea. Diplomatic, non-threatening. The only downside is that I'd hoped to work on the map tonight (my wife's out for the evening so I've got a night of just me, DR and some new albums to listen to on Spotify smile.gif)

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

@Fidcal: Probably a good idea. Diplomatic, non-threatening. The only downside is that I'd hoped to work on the map tonight (my wife's out for the evening so I've got a night of just me, DR and some new albums to listen to on Spotify smile.gif)

So, don't lose the opportunity to capitalize on inspiration and ambition... and opportunity; I know I can't afford to when those things align for me.

Worst thing that can happen is is that you learn a few new tricks and keep the fires of creativity burning, eh? If the collaborator in question balks (which would be bizarre) then you haven't anything but to leave that bit behind anyway.

As always my ulterior motive here is plain: more missions for me to play... quickerly and suchly.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I guess I'll probably do both. I'll message the other party now (we'll call this the Fidcal Method) and at the same time start to tinker with the map this evening, all the while knowing that I may have to scupper my plans (the Aidakeeley Approach).

@aidakeeley: has anyone ever told you that you have an antisocial streak that is both scandalous and intriguing? wink.gif

has anyone ever told you that you have an antisocial streak that is both scandalous and intriguing

I heard things on that front. :)

But rarely in such a kindly kinda way.

Thanks.

Oh and just to be clear: I'm not disagreeing with the idea that you should earnestly continue to try and reach the other; and I'm not really just prodding you along to get me a mission to enjoy either; I honestly think you can't lose by going forward, you know it's not like a manuscript that you'll be forever, irreparably defacing...

just to be clear: I'm not disagreeing with the idea that you should earnestly continue to try and reach the other; and I'm not really just prodding you along to get me a mission to enjoy either; I honestly think you can't lose by going forward, you know it's not like a manuscript that you'll be forever, irreparably defacing...

And I agree. But where I'm fussing too much over manners and stealing intellectual property, your approach is bringing home the bacon! happy.gif