Photo

Fan Mission: A Special Delivery by Silencium18(2010/06/12)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16687 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

Posted Image

A Special Delivery is a very small warehouse & factory Dark Mod FM. In this fun little mission you have to find a valuable diamond. Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD HERE. (2MB)
  • Melan and SiyahParsomen like this

#2 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

Looks interesting. Glad I woke up "early."

#3 SneaksieDave

SneaksieDave

QA Lead

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10125 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

Wikified! Thanks guys.

#4 Berny

Berny

• PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Cool nice little straight mission!!

There could be one or two more secrets, but it's not necessary!

I loved that there is a music all over the map!!!

GREAT atmosphere Plus !!!

looked at the map via noclip. Good job - the city looks (without noclip) bigger as it is

#5 Igor bes Thiefer

Igor bes Thiefer

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

I might have noted a graphical glitch;
Spoiler

#6 shadow_ibix

shadow_ibix

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

Very nice, also, one of the plants in the early gardens has its polygons facing inwards, black on the outside and lighted on the inside. Mission is excellent in the dark mod, since
Spoiler

#7 PranQster

PranQster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:16 PM

I might have noted a graphical glitch;

Spoiler

I noticed that too.

I thought this was a very nice small mission. Get in, get what you need, and get out.
I had to dmap it on my machine because the first time I loaded it I received an error regarding AAS32_rat. Most of the AI were walking in circles and figure-8s, having difficulty finding their paths. After the dmap, all was well and AI moved about just fine.

I noticed one other small visual glitch with light going underneath a door frame which looked like it is not meeting the floor.
Upon inspection in DR, that brush does meet the floor. What would make the light show underneath it?

Attached Files

Edited by PranQster, 12 June 2010 - 05:25 PM.

pranqname.gif Linux pranqster 4.14.44-desktop-1.mga7 #1 SMP Fri May 25 18:06:35 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#8 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16687 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:26 AM

Sometimes light leaks through brushes. It might be the light is noshadow or the brush or might be a moving flame torch light that is clipping through and the wall is perhaps not very thick. It's a good idea to mostly make walls thick - this also helps with frobbing stuff through the back of a wall.

#9 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

I noticed one other small visual glitch with light going underneath a door frame which looked like it is not meeting the floor.
Upon inspection in DR, that brush does meet the floor. What would make the light show underneath it?

maybe it is a func_static set to no_shadow? Also, maybe it is not grid-snapped?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#10 Mr Mike

Mr Mike

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

Was a nice little enjoyable mission. Thank you B)

As mentioned, there are several doors where light leaks through slightly. I think it's a geometry error as the portals in those doorways never close.

#11 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4444 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

An enjoyable, short mission. Texturing and lights are well implemented (finally an FM that has a heavy emphasis on technological elements!), plus I think the sounds are done very well in this one. The problems with geometry (some Z-fighting issues notwithstanding) might have been caused by not snapping to grid; they are mostly found next to doors but there are also terrain brushes with small gaps in between.

Something entertaining:
Attached File  ChoppedUp.jpg   67.31KB   64 downloads
Probably a random glitch, since it did not show up the next time I loaded up the map.

Edited by Melan, 13 June 2010 - 12:28 PM.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#12 Ladro

Ladro

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

Well done little mission, my congratulation for the *real* Metal atmosphere.

Bravo! :D

#13 GameDevGoro

GameDevGoro

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

Yes. This is a really enjoyable mission. I really liked it! :)
The ambient sounds are awesome and it's architecturally well planned.

Great job! :D

#14 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

Fun. I too liked the music/atmosphericzoundz.

1 special mention:
Spoiler

1 "complaint":
Spoiler

1 life saving-but-ultimately-buggy-bug:
Spoiler

2 more things I had the time to notice and note -- as this was such a fun and take-your-time mission:

I have trouble mounting ladders from above -- is it just me?

I seem to be able to move faster crouched and running with a shouldered body than standing and running with a shouldered body.

Edited by aidakeeley, 14 June 2010 - 07:45 AM.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

#15 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16687 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

You might try backing onto a ladder from above unless it's ahead of you on the other side eg, of a trapdoor. Either way you get onto the ladder facing it. I'm not certain this is essential but it might make it easier. A big factor is placement and FM makers should test over and over that it is easy to get on and off their ladders just as it would be in RL.

#16 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

Do do the backing thing (trying at all speeds -- natural speed, slow, and even creeping speed -- centered-as-can-be) and still end up falling a good amount of the time. Sometimes, yeah, it s down to the placement, especially with as you mentioned those obtainable only from a sort of leap (trapdoors, sewer hatches), but sometimes even the "easiest" such as the catwalk one in this mission...

I just suck at it I guess. It's still one of the (maybe the only left over) frustrating things that Thief had too. At least the mantling is so beautifully implemented, just wish this was too.
"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

#17 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

Played through this FM just now.

Great stuff! More this kind of small, but fun and well made maps! I wished there was more readables to convey the agendas of the people living /working in the warehouse.

Spoiler

I also noticed few z-fighting issues and light seeping under walls, but hey who cares as long it is only minor and the overall map performance is not degrading.

Great work!
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#18 id3839315

id3839315

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

Great stuff! More this kind of small, but fun and well made maps!

Yep, pretty huge for 1.7 MB. :)

#19 Diego

Diego

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 1206 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

Great mission! :D I think everything I was going to comment has been already.

#20 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:28 AM

Good work mate, short by sweet.
Posted Image

#21 Sonosuke

Sonosuke

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

Really good little mission, nice and hard patrol routes. I have missed some loot and I did not really get what the
Spoiler

Thanks and congrats!
Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

#22 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

@Sonosuke
Spoiler

Hey, this tiny cute mission gave me exactly what I needed: A nice, thievish and ATMOSPHERIC time of fun. :) I loved
Spoiler
and that nice music and ambiant-sounds, and they didnīt even disappear after quickload, heavenly... :wub:

I also noticed that odd un-frobable candle at the beginning-area, but I was in blackjack/kill-all-mode anyway... :ph34r:

#23 pmw57

pmw57

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

I still haven't worked out how to get the loot that's ... hang on. When I return I can use arrows that I didn't have when I started, to get to it.

It seems that typing this out has enabled me to solve the problem, so here's hoping this helps others with a similar issue.

Edited by pmw57, 26 October 2010 - 11:12 PM.

#24 pmw57

pmw57

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:21 AM

A loot list has been added for this map.

Ideas for suitable Location names are appreciated, such as for the 3 different storage rooms.

#25 duzenko

duzenko

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1459 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

great (although short) mission
thanks!

Edited by duzenko, 18 December 2011 - 02:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users