The Dark Mod Forums

Thief Gold

PranQster

One of my friends mailed me their Thief Gold CDs since they haven't played it in years. I am now replaying all of it over again (right after playing up to "Escape!" on the original Thief). I have never seen any of the extra missions that were added in the gold version. I am just entering the Bonehoard on TG.

Anyway, The only reason I am mentioning all of this is because, due to TDM, I keep fumbling for key binds which never existed in Thief. LOL, I keep trying to hit my TDM binds for lockpicks and keys (keys to unlock doors). Then I often accidentally use whatever item I have selected in inventory because 'use item' and 'frob' are the same key bind. I also hate having to deselect the lockpicks to open an unlocked door.

TDM has spoiled me with good key binds :)

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Just in case you didn't know: you can rebind your keys in Thief as well! (Except maybe Quicksave and Quickload)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Just in case you didn't know: you can rebind your keys in Thief as well! (Except maybe Quicksave and Quickload)

Oh, I know. But Thief never had the keys (by this I mean keys to unlock doors, not keyboard keys) and the lockpicks specifically bind-able... unless I missed it. If I was unclear, I meant to say that I keep trying to use my door keys and lockpicks in Thief as though I were playing TDM.

Well, well... I set up my binds in Thief in 1998 and have kept them the same since. Somehow I never noticed that the lockpicks were in the binds list.

I've just played through Thief Gold for the first time and I also found myself pressing non-existent TDM keys. "Damn, no mantle key."

As an aside: I don't think Gold is really that good. The new levels aren't great, and add nothing to the narrative of the game. The Lost City is my all-time favourite Thief level and the mages that have been added to it ruin the impact of this treacherous, and long forgotten, ruin. You find them casually wandering around the undisturbed remains of one of the Keepers who didn't make it out alive, and it sort of puts a dampener on the atmosphere.

Edited by Neb

I've just played through Thief Gold for the first time and I also found myself pressing non-existent TDM keys. "Damn, no mantle key."

As an aside: I don't think Gold is really that good. The new levels aren't great, and add nothing to the narrative of the game. The Lost City is my all-time favourite Thief level and the mages that have been added to it ruin the impact of this treacherous, and long forgotten, ruin. You find them casually wandering around the undisturbed remains of one of the Keepers who didn't make it out alive, and it sort of puts a dampener on the atmosphere.

Good to know. The Lost city is also my favorite and I see no need of them adding mages to it. Though it is a pretty easy mission with the burricks in the building early on being the hardest part. I did enjoy the return to the Lost City in T2 a bit more.

Also, IIRC, I think the extra mission which split the last 2 talismans was planned to be in the original game, but didn't make it in due to deadlines... but I might be wrong about that.

i think the mages were added to the lost city as a last thought without going through the logic of how did they get in there as garrett has the only key and the lock is locked before he opens it. And the mechanist way was only available via that sub they had. the other thing that didn't make any sense is the when garrett leaves the lost city in thief the tunnel collapses behind him so how does he escape by the collapsed tunnel in thief 2.

• 2 weeks later...

You're in for a real treat then. "Song of the Caverns" and "The Mage Towers" were two really awesome missions. Thieve's Guild started out strong, but became boring later on. Man, there were so many great missions in that game! Assassins, The Sword, Bafford, RTC, Cragscleft, Bonehord and the ones I mentioned above are what used to make gaming so much fun!

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

The funny thing is, Thief was WAY more detailed than other games released at the same time. I remember being amazed at the individual paintings in that one hallway in Bafford's. I looked at each of them for a couple minutes. I loved it.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Yeah; Thief was lower-poly than a few other games like Unreal Tournament, but it wasn't poor visually by a stretch.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I think it had what was necessary to place the game in your head and make you feel like your there at that point in time. But I never thought of thief as being visually all too amazing from a technical standpoint. But from the thematic standpoint, there's some levels I prefer not to play because my memory of them filled in the necessary missing details of the maps. For example the Lost City and the Church of the Eye in my memory we're these amazing, atmospheric maps which had a profound effect on me. However when I went back and played them again last year, tbh it looked almost bland and I was disappointed because it was nothing like I remembered. My memory of the game, and what is actually there do not match up at all, likely because I was so young when I first played thief. I think it was on par with Quake and Doom2 which were benchmarks in that they looked good enough that you could understand what was going on in the game.

But what still holds up in the game, even to this day for me, is the sounds of the game. Playing thief, the sounds are so good you almost don't need better graphics at all. Still I love the little touches of sounds they placed in maps and the ambient tracks, the voices, the whistles ect. :wub:

Yeah, thief had a much more profound effect on me when i first played it at around age 19 as well. Probably the only thing I ever will be thankful to Creative and their durned EAX for. T2MA and Deus Ex bundled together with my Creative Live! soundcard back around 2002/2003. I'd never even heard of either game before that. A truly lifechanging mindfuck event completely unlooked for, and had nothing to do with the soundcard, lmao. Until that point, my gaming / fantasy life had been nothing but starcraft, xcom, and quake2 lithium mod (consistently. been gaming since DOOM, Wacky Wheels, and Raptor, but at that moment in time, those were the type of games consuming my life along with Anne Rice, JRRT, and Mercedes Lackey books. Still got the LoTR One Ring outside inscription armband tatoo to prove it, and I'm still looking for another freed up $250 to get the matching inside ring inscription tattoo on the other arm to this very day lmao).

/nostalgia

... Still got the LoTR One Ring outside inscription armband tatoo to prove it, and I'm still looking for another freed up $250 to get the matching inside ring inscription tattoo on the other arm to this very day lmao).

/nostalgia

You're a truly dedicated Tolkien fan if you have the One Ring inscription(s) on your arm(s). Though using the name of Shelob's parent is a nice choice too.

In any case, after playing through Thief Gold I found that I did like it better than the original. Simply because there were a few more missions. I agree that the mages in the lost city were unnecessary.

But they never did fix those rope arrows :( Half the time I used those things I either slipped down the rope as if it were greased, or I ended up flying off the top end of the rope... occasionally landing where I was intending to go.

At least the vine arrows in Thief2 worked well.

BTW, I have been working my way through Thief2 again, after finishing Thief Gold. I'm really enjoying it. Though I don't think I ever played it through on Expert mode before. I'm on the map "Casing the Joint" and am not very happy about not being able to blackjack anyone. LOL this mission is a pain in the ass.

• 2 weeks later...

The mages are in the lost city because they´re trying to get the talismans theirselves. You´ll find out about that in the Mages-mission later. Oh wait, the mages-mission is before, right? And how they get there, well, they surely have their ways and who says the entrance Garrett uses is the only one?

I loved every mission in Thief Gold but the Thieves´ Guild. There I got the feeling of an unfinished map, really. The two houses you got in were so cheap and the whole thing wasn´t build up quite good. It began strong, as someone said before, but as you got into the sewers it ended fast.

The Thief-games were the only ones that I started on highest difficulty and had no trouble to finish them. (without finding Randalls bracelet, for that I looked via DromEd :D, I didn´t had access to Internet these days) I started on Expert because I played the Bufford-demo before and there you didn´t had to leave after obtaining the scepter, so I thought it would be like this in every mission so better start on Expert. It wasn´t a shooter, so why not. It was worth it because of the additional objectives.

Only the mission 'Escape' I had struggles with because of the fighting needs. Though, I played the last two times with this increased difficulty for more awareness of AI´s so it gets really hard in this mission because of this.

Gladly, there are so much fanmade updates out there for both Thief´s that really will make it worth to replay again. Now I have just managed to activate Widescreen-support and with this I can set Thief on my TV to HD-mode, looks damn good. But still TDM has grip on me. :wub:

If only I could get the missions from Thief 1 to work in Thief 2 with better graphics. But I guess I would have to do more than just importing... :(

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 1 month later...

Hey melan, you can do that in T1, I bees figures it out mees did... see attached -

Oh man, thanks Bikerdude. I just loaded Gold again last night so I could play some TG mods from my Komag DVDs (Hi Komag!) and didn't realize how much I use Quick Save/Load.

burricks in the building early on being the hardest part

How come? all you gotta do is run up and start hacking them like made with the sword. If you hit them fast enough each time they won't have time to retaliate. If they have comrades, hide behind the one your slicing so that the others burp into the one your cutting.

18588.png

• 7 years later...

I'm playing Thief Gold again now, after having played it once until the Return to the Cathedral mission, where i lost motivation somehow (only Thief game i never played through BTW, i think i played TMA through 2 times, and TDS 3 times). Really having a great time with it, what an awesome game. Makes me wonder why most of the games nowadays are so uninspired, undemanding, both in terms of gameplay and artistic presentation, and uncreative/playing safe for the most part of them. Can't beat the "golden days" where 3D was still fresh, and game studios still had artistic freedom without much of financial pressure, because the budgets were low, i guess.

• Like 1

I finally beat the Return to the Cathedral mission yesterday. Was completely stuck after obtaining the Eye though. :D I watched a Youtube vid then, and saw that you can wipe out the whole undead vermin with some flash bombs. After doing that, it turned out to be one of my favorite missions in the end. :)

Edited by chakkman

Same as with the undead in Thief Deadly Shadows. Also oil thrown on the ground makes them slip like any NPC.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson