The Dark Mod Forums

Can't see main menu

freds_shadow

I've a problem where neither of my linux computers can play this game. I can play Doom3, but whether I load from tdmlauncher.linux or from the Doom3 menu I can't see the main menu, but I can hear the music and sound-effects. I can also open the console. On the netbook I see the following:

WARNING: Couldn' load image: guis/assets/purchase_menu/parchment_background

166 warnings

pid: 15014

2000 MB System Memory

guessing video ram ( use +set sys_videoRam to force ) ..

guess failed. return default low-end VRAM setting ( 64MB VRAM )

64 MB Video Memory

Async thread started

guid set to BoOF/bHUioM

] DOOM 1.3.1.1304

The desktop computer, which is 64-bit shows virtually the same thing:

WARNING: Couldn' load image: guis/assets/objectives/prevpage

WARNING: Couldn' load image: guis/assets/purchase_menu/parchment_background

WARNING: sound subsystem disabled

167 warnings

pid: 4423

3952 MB System Memory

guessing video ram ( use +set sys_videoRam to force ) ..

found XNVCtrl extension 1.23

1280 MB Video Memory

Async thread started

guid set to BoOF/bHUioM

] DOOM 1.3.1.1304

Both are running Arch Linux, the 64-bit has the 32-bit libraries installed (it runs City of Heroes on wine mostly fine). They both use OSS, though on the 64-bit one I don't believe I told doom3 to use it, hence the 3rd warning.

I used the Arch-Linux package manager yaourt, which installs 3rd party software, to do the installation of doom3 (except the manual copying of the pk4's). On the 64-bit computer I also used this to install the dark mod. On the netbook I manually installed it.

On the 64-bit the installer put the darkmod files in /opt/doom3/darkmod, whereas with the netbook/manual method, following the website's advice, I placed the darkmod files in .doom3/darkmod.

The 64-bit uses the proprietary nvidia driver, the netbook uses the intel driver, which purportedly has some 3d acceleration. I'm not actually certain it'll run well on the netbook, but I wanted to try. The only other game on that one is Jagged Alliance 2.

Anyway, I'm not sure what files you might need to know about to help me with this, but I'd appreciate whatever pointers or aid you could give. I did play the mod before my windows installation crapped out, then again on a previous linux install, but that was probably a different distribution, and was an ATI card too.

Attached is a copy & paste of what the program left on the 64-bit's xterm.darkmod_log.txt

Are you sure that the driver you have installed supports Normal Compression? TDM ships with DDS only textures (see the Linux TDM thread under the "I Want to Help" category).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Are you sure that the driver you have installed supports Normal Compression? TDM ships with DDS only textures (see the Linux TDM thread under the "I Want to Help" category).

The 64bit PC should have this as he said it is using the nvidia driver. (I am playing under 64bit Linux, too).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I guess I should also have mentioned that Chown should be applied to guis/assets/purchase_menu/parchment_background but I presumed that this has been covered...

I'm sure that I'm digging myself in deeper but as I always say: "I post before I think" :laugh:

Edited by nbohr1more

Last thread crap... from the Wiki

Does it run in 64 Bit Linux?

Yes, Linux 64 bit is supported. In addition to the steps above, you need 32 bit compatibility libraries, since Doom3 is 32 bit only:

• On SuSE, they should be included.
  • On Ubuntu/Kubuntu, install the package ia32.

For TDM after 1.0, this step should be no longer neccessary:

• Since you cannot install 32 bit libraries on a 64 bit system with the normal package manager, you should use getlibs to install libmng and the boost filesystem lib:

getlibs libmng.so.1 getlibs -l libboost-filesystem1.34.1

So is this TDM 1.0?

The 64bit PC should have this as he said it is using the nvidia driver. (I am playing under 64bit Linux, too).

I've the nvidia proprietary binary drivers installed, so I'm assuming they do, but if anyone knows differently let me know. I don't know where to look for that offhand.

On the netbook, I have no clue if the intel driver does or doesn't. I tried it over here on a lark more than anything.

Got to the menu on the 64-bit machine, which has the nvidia drivers. I originally installed it entirely through arch-linux's package manager (except for copying pk4's off the cds). It seems that it installs doom3 to /opt/doom3 and darkmod to /opt/doom3/darkmod.

I'm doing some fiddling to figure out why it didn't work on that machine. Whether it was looking in /usr/local/games/doom3 or if it was the installer placing the darkmod folder over in /opt/doom3/.

Anyone else find that when they type the directories when writing up a post they try to auto-complete the directories? ;-)

So, no .doom3/darkmod, but a link from /usr/local/games/doom3 to /opt/doom3 didn't work, some weird error where it looked in /dev for a file.

Removing that link but trying it with .doom3/darkmod, same error.

Huh, broke it again! O.O

Well, I can run it with sudo, and this time I get sound. It kept failing, saying 'Renderpipe: Trying to open file: /dev/shm/tdm_lg_render.tga

TODO: Sys_SetClipboardData

--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

--------------------------------------

ERROR: Renderpipe: Failed to open file: Operation not permitted

Another obstacle, easily remedied by a symlink is that the game look to /usr/local/games/doom3, where the game is (via the installation package I used, perhaps) installed to /opt/doom3 instead. It appears the installation package is what sets /opt/doom3 as the place to put things.