The Dark Mod Forums

Self-Lit damageable mushrooms: discuss

Fidcal

Ideally we want a new entity for mushrooms that 'burst' (disappear) when damaged and new skin to indicate these; maybe stripy or blotchy or something. Ideally they want to look swollen like they are ready to burst. Perhaps that can be simulated with bright spots. I think there is something wrong with the current lit mushroom skins anyway. As I recall I set up skins so they looked 'self-lit' but they don't do so now.

@Tels: perhaps you can input how to set up these entities. Is it just a damage response to itself? Do they need to be given 'health' or is it a just a matter of 'hiding' them or removing them in a damage response? These entities should of course also include the light set up like the other custom lights which also wants removing when damaged. A 'plop' or 'bursting' sound would be good too.

I think these might replace all the lit mushrooms which somehow I've been noticing don't look properly self-lit yet I remember doing skin versions quiet some time ago. But do we want both types? Maybe. Perhaps there are situations when we want to choose lights that cannot be extinguished but these need to be easily distinguished.

Ideally we want a new entity for mushrooms that 'burst' (disappear) when damaged and new skin to indicate these; maybe stripy or blotchy or something. Ideally they want to look swollen like they are ready to burst. Perhaps that can be simulated with bright spots. I think there is something wrong with the current lit mushroom skins anyway. As I recall I set up skins so they looked 'self-lit' but they don't do so now.

@Tels: perhaps you can input how to set up these entities. Is it just a damage response to itself? Do they need to be given 'health' or is it a just a matter of 'hiding' them or removing them in a damage response? These entities should of course also include the light set up like the other custom lights which also wants removing when damaged. A 'plop' or 'bursting' sound would be good too.

I think these might replace all the lit mushrooms which somehow I've been noticing don't look properly self-lit yet I remember doing skin versions quiet some time ago. But do we want both types? Maybe. Perhaps there are situations when we want to choose lights that cannot be extinguished but these need to be easily distinguished.

Nice idea. Doom has "breakable" lights, so you can do:

* create a light, give it the model of the "bshroom" (make sure the model has materials that don't cast shadows, as the light is inside the model)

* give it health (like 10).

* give it a "broken model". You could set it to "" and it would hide itself, or use a model which is basically just the base of the bshroom plus some "blotches" that are left over.

I think that should be all, if you hit it, it breaks, turns of the light, and switches the model.

Maybe it would be nice to add some buzzing flies automatically to it, but these can be normally attached via def_attach.

If you want, I can make you an example entity.

entityDef atdm:breakable_mushroom
{
"inherit" "atdm:light_base"
"model"   "/model/mushroom"
"broken"  "broken/model/here"
"health"  "10"

// normal light spawnargs here, 
// sound (small almost silent burbling/bubbling you hear when you get close)
// particle etc
}

If you want the mushroom spawn some things when it bursts, give it "def_flinder" spawnargs, look at the breakable kitchen bottle how to do this. It could f.i. spawn a few particles that fade away over time.

You get bonus points if the mushroom releases a tear-gas cloud, too :)

Edit: I find it funny that you *always* first think of Stim/Response to set something up :D With TDM, in most cases the spawnargs are already enough, or a small 2-liner script could accomplish what you want. Probably a Dromed relict? :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

There is also this:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Break_up_script

But I am unsure if it works and I think it isn't even needed. But just in case :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

OK thanks Tels. We don't have any suitable broken model at present so I'll keep it simple and focus on getting the basic entity and skin. Someone might improve on it later.

So because this is a light with a model we can automatically just use the normal light spawnargs I guess, brightness, colour and radius etc. That makes it easier. I'll do a range of colours with suitable defaults.

OK thanks Tels. We don't have any suitable broken model at present so I'll keep it simple and focus on getting the basic entity and skin. Someone might improve on it later.

Yeah, but you could also create a simple model from brushes, and use the ASE exporter from rich to export that to ASE.

So because this is a light with a model we can automatically just use the normal light spawnargs I guess, brightness, colour and radius etc. That makes it easier. I'll do a range of colours with suitable defaults.

Yep, thats it :) You might even create a small light texture with a soft shadow (basically a darker "blob" under the model) or maybe we already have one.

Yeah, but you could also create a simple model from brushes, and use the ASE exporter from rich to export that to ASE.

haha! good one Tels. :laugh: I can only spare a few hours for this whole task, including checking what's wrong with the existing self-lit skins so no chance to explore modelling, texturing, etc.

haha! good one Tels. :laugh: I can only spare a few hours for this whole task, including checking what's wrong with the existing self-lit skins so no chance to explore modelling, texturing, etc.

Erm, it is easy :) Just slap together a few brushes, run the exporter and you end up with an ASE. I can "cut" a mushroom in DR if you want :) Gimme a few minutes,but somebody else needs to run the script (my DR is hampered in that way still).

I don't think changing lights from non-extinguishable to extinguishable in previous maps is a good idea. It's certainly a lot more significant a change than making keys retroactively droppable.

Springheel: They definitely cannot be changed in existing maps. In existing maps they are just models with a light placed above them and won't be affected by any new entity. Even if they were existing entities I would add new ones not change the old ones.

OK, Tels, how can you say something is easy when you've never done it in your life? You go ahead and make the mushrooms if it's that easy you can export properly textured models from DR that work immediately in Dark Mod in ten minutes. :laugh: I only need to do the def then. :P

If it's not already the plan, I would recommend they not all be changed to be extinguishable, but instead just one type of them (gives the option to mappers). Of course, the difference between extinguishable and not (shape, size, whatever) should be distinguishable at a glance.

That's exactly the plan.

The existing ones will remain unchanged.

New self lit entities will be made possibly like the existing ones but easier to use. They will not be extinguishable. They may look like the existing ones as far as the skins go but hopefully will look more erm... luminous.

New self lit, extinguishable entities will be made with new distinct skins (suggestions welcome) possibly completely new models.

If there are new models then possibly non-exinguishable versions will be made with different skins distinct from the extinguishable ones.

They could even make a nice "splat" when you step on them, like the glowing grubs in HL2: Episode 2.

I just noticed this on Komag's site:

Operation Cat Squash

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Maybe "...... sound\levels\alphalabs4\crusher\juiced.ogg"?

Or... "sound\levels\alphalabs2\empblast_04.ogg"?

Or... "sound\levels\alphalabs1\papercutter\al1_pc_bolt.ogg"?

Or..."sound\monsters\trite\deathsplat_01.ogg

Or... "sound\monsters\vagary\pain_right_arm_no_vo.ogg"

Or (too long & too cartoonish, but could be cropped) "sound\patd\turksquish22.ogg"

Or most of these "sound\xian\gibs"

And of course there are these... "sound\ed\zombie_commando\squishes"

Edited by aidakeeley
  • Like 1

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Never mind squashing cats, I'm still waiting to be able to blackjack rats. Or even better, step on them.

If none of the Doom 3 splat sounds are suitable I can probably knock one up from some chopped vegetables or something.

Thanks. I'm also wondering if this should be an outward explosion rather than a squash. We need to think why are these different from normal mushrooms, lit or otherwise? What might define these is that they are swollen with spores or maybe just rotten and enough impact causes them to burst out and fragment. This might be how the player recognizes them - because they are swollen.