Photo

Fan Mission: The Glenham Tower by Sotha (2010/07/17)

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

Poll: The Glenham Tower by Sotha (2010/07/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry (126 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (1 votes [0.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.79%

2. Tolerable (4 votes [3.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.17%

3. Good (23 votes [18.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.25%

4. Excellent (63 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. Near Perfect (35 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

1. Poor (1 votes [0.79%] - View)

2. Tolerable (2 votes [1.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

3. Good (17 votes [13.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.49%

4. Excellent (80 votes [63.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.49%

5. Near Perfect (26 votes [20.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.63%

3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (1 votes [0.79%] - View)

3. Good (30 votes [23.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

4. Excellent (60 votes [47.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

5. Near Perfect (35 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

raymeld,
brief hint:

Spoiler

Total Spoiler:
Spoiler

Ah , Ah ! Oh well gives me an excuse to play it again sometime and not kill everyone down below.
Spoiler

#52 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

STiFU

Your spoiler:

Spoiler

My question:

Spoiler

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

#53 fraten

fraten

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

raymeld, brief hint:

Spoiler

No one misses anything no matter how many are killed.

#54 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#55 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3558 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

My question:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#56 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by aidakeeley, 22 July 2010 - 11:44 AM.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

#57 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

IŽll appreciate SothaŽs style, because most of the time I just forget what I have with me, or maybe IŽm too lazy to use tools, I donŽt know. I had this problem in Thief too.
And Sotha is again right when it comes to the undead: when encountering them, youŽll use everything you have, well, almost, to get rid of them. :laugh:

#58 Baddcog

Baddcog

Mod hero

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5360 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

Sotha,
BEST FM YET! Seriously. I'm enjoying it that much. Scared the SHIT out of several times, and oh man, I love to be scared.
I'm voting perfects.

Don't do that, it's gonna be hard enough on some of us as it is ;)

(I'll be giving pretty high marks myself I think, I just need to finish it up first)
Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

#59 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

I just need to finish it up first

Ahhh... Another pre-deadline release possibility?

Excellent.

#60 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5659 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

Spoiler

I just checked the voting results so far and I have to say that I am astonished. I knew the mission was fine, but I did not anticipate this kind of success!

Thank you very much! I'm really happy you liked the mission! :wub:

I am eagerly waiting to see the other maps. Let's hope the quality is consistently high!
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#61 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

I decided to stay and search for the rest of my loot.
Sotha, absolutely awesome mission.
Spoiler
All tasks completed. Can't wait for more!

Edited by Thiefette, 22 July 2010 - 08:29 PM.

#62 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

Outstanding! :wub:

Haven't finished yet, but I love it. Oh the horrors, remind me a lot on Doom3, except much much scarier because they did not involve any teleporting etc. Love the breaking of things, it surprised me a lot.

The only flaws so far I could find are very minor:

* a few repeated textures on stairs (cloning of steps :)
* two bars that didn't quite reach to the fireplace
* one z-fighting

Storywise it has a lot of tension, I was freaked out when I had to hide in the cupboard with all the part in it :o

The only thing I don't like is that I got killed a few times because I was surprised and didn't have a chance (AI did indeed bump into me when hiding in a corner - this is more an engine thing, it is for the player almost unpredictable whether the two boxes of AI/player will collide or not), and I had of course no idea whether I can kill the AI or not - finding out I can't took me a reload :) I am a big fan of immersion and death always breaks it - for me the ideal mission is where you can always recover from mistakes - sure, they take time (like climbing backup again, walking around the otherway, kill monster) but you can recover. So, every death breaks me out of the game. Interestingly enough, there were also recover situations, like the fall into the water :)

However, this mission is still a lot of fun!

Edit: I forgot some praise:

Awesome details, esp. the dirtying up of the place, the little details and the scary parts. I also love some things so much it inspired me to create some things for TDM - more on that later :)
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#63 Ladro

Ladro

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

OH MY GOD!

This mission it's so beatiful!!!!

:rolleyes::laugh:

For me it's really the BEST FM just until here. My congratulation to the creator, the story it's so simple, but so direct and effective, i really i like it: mystery, horror, some lovecraftian elements, but not too complicatad to suite, and a with LOT of atmosphere. A simple task to do in the mission (enter on an abandoned tower), simple objectives, but very well developed.

For me it's a perfect mission, an example of TDM (but also any Thief) FM creation!

The final part:

Spoiler

But also:
Spoiler

I was surprised by the high quality level of this map. The architecture it's not at the top of what it can be done with TDM (i suppose), but IMHO it's really incredible that for a contest someone can achive a so high level of mapping!

Another time: my super congratulation Sotha!
You are now noted in my personal notebook of FM Master creators, and i really wait for other missions like this jam by you!

:laugh:

I am a big fan of immersion and death always breaks it - for me the ideal mission is where you can always recover from mistakes - sure, they take time (like climbing backup again, walking around the otherway, kill monster) but you can recover.

I TOTALLY agree here, 100%.

Edited by Ladro, 25 July 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#64 Diego

Diego

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

Amazing mission! This comes from a person who usually hates this kind of mission..
Spoiler

#65 Tarhiel

Tarhiel

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

Ehm ehm... Dear Sotha, thank you for this mission. I´d give it 4 stars out of 5. It´s that brillliant! :)

So, my take on this mission:

Spoiler

Sorry for the long sharing with my experience, but it just shows how good this mission was :)

Edited by Tarhiel, 26 July 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#66 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5659 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:18 AM

I'm glad you had fun!

Spoiler

You're the first one to mention the paintings. I thought it would elaborate the way how the undead hate the living, ripping and smudging their faces.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sorry for the long sharing with my experience, but it just shows how good this mission was :)

No problems. I enjoy reading how people perceive my missions. It helps me improve. Thank you!
Clipper

#67 BrokenArts

BrokenArts

• PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

I am nearing the end of this wonderful FM, and having an absolute blast playing this. I'm a huge horror fan, this is so well done. Great atmosphere, the AI patrol was just right. Love the owl sounds outside, nice use of ambients. I did mainly a lot of ghosting up until I entered the room to get the sphere. Then I went to town on the haunts and the zombie.

http://modetwo.net/u...rts/glenham.jpg
http://modetwo.net/u...ts/glenham2.jpg

I LOVE these screen shots. Especially the first one, that stance is awesome! I used a fire arrow to take down two of the haunts, one more with a mine, that one was lit up like a christmas tree. I had to put him out with a water arrow, he lit up again! lol. Last 3 AI I took out with holy water.

I do hope you'll consider something for Halloween. :wub:
Thanks for loads of fun. :)

#68 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37693 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Don't want to read anything in this thread yet, but just wanted to say, Sotha, that I've been thoroughly loving this mission. I've been playing it with a friend of mine, and it's making us both remember going through Shalebridge Cradle. We've had at least three different terrifying moments, and my wife said we were shrieking like little girls. :)

Only half way done, so I'll post more thoroughly after that.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#69 id3839315

id3839315

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:59 AM

... we were shrieking like little girls. :)

Something new for the Vocals Development ? :laugh:

#70 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37693 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

Finished this last night, and can say that it's my favourite FM to date. The desire to play missions like this is the reason I started working on TDM six years ago. :wub:

The story was interesting and developed smoothly, with awesome visual touches
Spoiler
to create a real sense of being inside an actual story.

The gameplay was fantastic. Challenging patrols, climbing puzzles that weren't annoying, great use of physics! There was also a real sense of exploration, a challenge in such a small mission, and something missing from a lot of TDM missions to date.

The creative mapping was also really impressive.
Spoiler
Brilliant!

I'll just list a whole bunch of my favourite things:

Spoiler

There were only a couple minor flaws. I too had the "stepped out of the gate and couldn't get back in" problem at the very start. There were also a couple times zombies got stuck on each other. But other than that, the entire experience was very smooth. Took me about 2.5 hours, not counting lots of reloads.

I'd love to hear some backstory on how the map came together, and what was going on with the
Spoiler

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#71 BrokenArts

BrokenArts

• PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

There are no real horror games out today. This is as close to what I love, I'll take it anyday! Thanks Team. I love this one too. I'm going to replay it again later.

#72 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5659 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

[...]
I'd love to hear some backstory on how the map came together, and what was going on with the

Spoiler

Thank you very much for your nice feedback, Springheel, Broken Arts and everyone!:wub:

If it will bring people joy, here is a brief developer commentary for the Glenham Tower. I'll write it now, because I'll probably forget soon what I was thinking when I built which area.

It is a gargantuan huge spoiler so don't read it if you've not yet played the mission. I forbid you!

Spoiler

• namuh1 likes this
Clipper

#73 BrokenArts

BrokenArts

• PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

Thats a nice read there Sotha. Explains a lot. You made use of everything, and everything fit perfectly. OK, so, since you've had this thing for evil yet tragic characters, we can expect more from you correct? :wub: :P

#74 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5659 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

Thats a nice read there Sotha. Explains a lot. You made use of everything, and everything fit perfectly. OK, so, since you've had this thing for evil yet tragic characters, we can expect more from you correct? :wub: :P

But of course! Just don't expect too much. This mission has been so well received by the community I am unsure if I can ever make a better mission than this one. At least there is a challenge.. ;)
Clipper

#75 BrokenArts

BrokenArts

• PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

You build it, they will come and play it. Don't sweat about it, when the time is right to build again, you'll know it. :) I'm sure it will be awesome. Don't put the pressure on yourself, not worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users