The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 1.4.0 released

greebo

DarkRadiant 1.4.0 is available as new feature release. Apart from a bunch of bugfixes there are new features available with this version:

dr_feature_01.jpg

- Select Group Parts: this is a new selection mode which is designed to select child brushes/patches of func_static entities. With this mode activated, clicks on worldspawn brushes/patches and entities are ignored, only func_static children can be selected. Don't forget to deactivate this mode when you're done. Activating this mode will de-select your current selection.

- Selection Sets: available on the top right of the horizontal toolbar. (Move your mouse to get a short mouseover help text.) Select a few items in your map, then type a name into the text box and hit Enter. This will store the current selection as named set. It's possible to recall this selection set by opening the dropdown box and click the item. You can also UNselect the stored set by holding down SHIFT when opening the dropdown. Selection Sets are not preserved between map changes or DarkRadiant sessions.

dr_feature_02.jpg

- Vocal Set Selector: with TDM 1.03 or greater this feature can be used to select a suitable voice set for your AI, including the option to playback a sample sound from the selected set.

Download DarkRadiant from our website: http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/

Important: if you haven't installed DarkRadiant before, be sure to install the VC++ 2008 Redistributable Package in order to run this release.

The list of changes can be found on the website: Full list of changes and on our bugtracker changelog.

As usual, please report any bugs or feature requests here in these forums, following these guidelines:

• Bugs (including steps for reproduction) can go directly on the tracker. When unsure about a bug/issue, feel free to ask.
  • Feature requests should be suggested (and possibly discussed) here in these forums before they may be added to the tracker.

As probably not everybody is reading the changelogs, here is the summary of changes:

New Features / Changes

• Separate selection mode to pick a specific item part of a func_static.
  • EntityInspector chooser plugin for selecting vocal set (TDM-specific).
  • Entity spawnargs are treated case-insensitively now, as the D3 engine does.
  • Save and recall selection sets.
  • Added support for nicer menu titles for Python script commands.
  • Included rich_is_bored's latest ASE exporter.
  • Added support for transparent speaker volumes.

Bugfixes

• Fixed: Thicken patches function produces distorted result for bevels.
  • Fixed: DR 1.3.1: Any items dragged snap back to original location when right-clicking.
  • Fixed: Undoing revert to worldspawn causes brushes to grow brighter.
  • Fixed: blend blend images not displaying.
  • Fixed: Rare crash when drag-creating brushes.
  • Fixed: Crash in PatchInspector after removing Patch control vertices.
  • Fixed: Crashes in debug builds when transposing patches or selecting degenerate ones.
  • Fixed: Snow patch and Moonbeam texture appear as see-through.
  • Fixed: View doesn't update when manipulating patch control vertices in PatchInspector.

Tweaks

• EClassTree was too wide in multi-monitor setup.
  • Added notification dialog on failure to load a map.
  • Add Property Dialog now supports full-text type-ahead search.
  • Jump to selected sound (if any) upon clicking Choose Sound in Entity Inspector.

Coding / Internal Design

• Update Win32 libxml2 libraries to 2.7.7.
  • Fixed a couple of gcc warnings.
  • OrthoContextMenu is now exposed to plugins and modules.

According to the list of authors:

Thanks to greebo, OrbWeaver and Bikerdude :) !

(and I suspect some thanks to the other TDM team members ;))

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Wow! - every one of those looks good - right down to the tweak that jumps to the current sound. And the select a part from an entity - well, wish I'd done the testing now; I could have used that yesterday removing a 16-part pipe from a giant building func_static! I'll get this straight away.

Just reloaded DR and the player is visible! So this is what happened...

I have quite a few layers for different areas, city, skies, visportals, manor, etc but left player in default as well as ambient world on their own. Sometimes new stuff gets put in default even if I'm working on say, city, so I thought it would be nice to just click the default layer and move it to the correct layer easily. So I moved player into a new layer called player.

Typical session I load the map and hit Hide all on the layers then select eg, city and work on that. Now I want to move the player. I remember it is in a hidden layer so I show the player layer then click move player here. Invisible. (possibly I moved it first then showed the layer but I don't think so.)

So maybe it's a glitch to do with the layers? The hide/show property of layers is not stored with the save so if that cleared it perhaps that is a clue to where the glitch is. I'll keep a look out and see if anything similar happens again.

Haha - another new feature I don't remember reading about. This is yet another one that I want. The hide/show state of layers is saved with the map now right? But ... I just saved my map with only city showing and when I reloading DR sure enough only the city actually shows in grid and camera view but the actual layer selector shows all visible.

No, I must be drunk or confused or something because I think I've got all of the above wrong and not seeing part.

So the layer state I don't think is saved. Wishful thinking and I saw what I wanted to see.

Just forget it all unless that player glitch returns. Even though I made all layers show and turned off all filters and hit UNhide I wonder if I had a region set and the player was outside the region? Even if moved into the region it still does not show unless region is cleared. Oh well.

• 4 weeks later...

I like group part select also, but I found a slight problem with it.

Select a part and--say--shrink it along an axis.

Hit ESC to unselect it.

Select another part and shrink that.

If you go back and look at the first part you shrunk, you'll see that it was still selected and it was shrunk AGAIN along with part #2.

The solution is to hit ESC twice after you've made a change to a part. Then you know you're clear of the previous part before you do something to the next.

This is particularly nasty if you unknowingly shrink a part out of existence. It simply disappears. This happened to me a few times before I figured out what was going on.

fyi: Ive had this bug for ages...

On the subject of bugs, is anyone else having issues with the " def_vocal_set " option? when i select it the windows comes up bits its empty.

if this is a proper bug not just something to do with my system i will log a issue in the bug tracker.

Edited by Bikerdude

On the subject of bugs, is anyone else having issues with the " def_vocal_set " option? when i select it the windows comes up bits its empty.

This will work with TDM 1.03 and higher, as DarkRadiant is searching for a specific spawnarg in the defs to recognise a vocal set. This keyvalue is missing in TDM 1.02.

I have two questions/semi-requests.

1) Would it be possible to add a filter that only filters func_static instead of all entities? This would be incredibly useful for me.

2) Sky textures: the transparency effect is good, but probably a bit too emphasised in this version, making it hard to identify skybrushes. Would it be possible to either a) scale this effect back a bit, or B) have a switch that turns it off altogether.

If the answer is "yes", I can file a feature request at Angua's site.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

So, a filter for func_static would look like this?

<filter name="Func Static">
<filterCriterion type="entityclass" match=".*" action="hide" />
<filterCriterion type="entityclass" match="func_static" action="show" />
</filter>

That doesn't sound too bad. Gotta try it when I'm home. :ph34r:

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

1) Would it be possible to add a filter that only filters func_static instead of all entities? This would be incredibly useful for me.

You don't need to edit the filters.xml file manually. There is a filter editor in the Filters menu, use this to filter func_statics:

func_static_filter.jpg

Thank you. In a few minutes, I finally constructed a filder that hides all entities but still displays worldspawn and func_static entities. :)