Photo

Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

Poll: Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry (56 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (11 votes [19.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.64%

3. Good (14 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Excellent (23 votes [41.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.07%

5. Near Perfect (8 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (2 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

3. Good (25 votes [44.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.64%

4. Excellent (21 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

5. Near Perfect (8 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (7 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Good (22 votes [39.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.29%

4. Excellent (21 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

5. Near Perfect (6 votes [10.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 fraten

fraten

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

I'm currently on the upper level where the cannons are... Did I just missed it or is there no blackjack in the whole mission?

#27 Jesps

Jesps

FM Creator

• PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

Did I just missed it or is there no blackjack in the whole mission?

If there is I missed it too.

Nonetheless it was a very good mission.

Spoiler

#28 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by LEGION, 18 August 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#29 id3839315

id3839315

• PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

My opinion: You're facing a really close battle against "The Glenham Tower". At least these two missions are my favorites in the contest. :)

Exactly! Very impressive mission ! B)

#30 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7341 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

I wish I could enjoy this one but at a constant 6FPS or worse I don't know what to say. :(
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#31 Igor bes Thiefer

Igor bes Thiefer

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

Don't get upset, nobohr... I barely noticed it, so immersive it were! (i was listening to my albums and studying at the same time, too, so perhaps you could team it up with other activities, so it wouldnt be so much a time loss) Btw, does anyone know if the cell with the dead man inside, at the very beggining of the game (hardly a spoiler) is openable?

#32 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:09 AM

IGI
"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

#33 fraten

fraten

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

Wow, finally finished it. That was hard work, I say.
Spoiler

I think I encountered some TDM-Moments: Hovering sleeping people, Undead standing on me (oh, PLEASE, give them a more attractive backside!!!:blink::wacko:) and guards got stuck with each other so they keep walking on the same spot for ever.

This mission could be a winner.

Attached Files

#34 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:57 AM

That reminds me that we are in need for female zombies! :D I had the last screenshot too. The third screenshot i wasn´t able to see because this priest was stuck at the first floor end on an oil lamp. Quciksaving/loading couldn´t help them out, only alerting them by throwing sth at their feet f.e. was helpful to unstuck them...

I don´t think the mapper can do sth against these, could he?

ETA:

IGI

What´s that again suppose to mean? (besides that it is a game I never played)

Edited by LEGION, 19 August 2010 - 06:59 AM.

#35 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:01 AM

Oh...my...god... :blink:

Just got home from Tallinn. I have used my cellphone to follow some of the discussion on the forum,
but it's tedious and as you get out on the sea you connect to other mobile nets and your phone bill
will reach higher levels than Glimmerheight! So I had to wait til now to read. And MAN am I
astonished of all the positive reactions! Where to start...?

Here I will explain my weird thinking/planning process through the building of this mission, along with the
authors explanation of the strange story.

Spoiler

Did I have any other prior experience in mapping besides your tries in T3ED?

As I say in my profile:

Spoiler

Another thing I would like to mention. I have shyed away from ALL of the other contensting missions as I didn't want to "feel inspired" by someone elses mission. I just wanted to do stick with my own thoughts and make it wholly "on my own". I do not mean that anyone use to steal ideas, but I believe you get my point :) So I'll have a lot of missions to complete I guess :)

I think that the posted mission is what counts in the competition and my hand is getting sore from all mapping and I'll think I'll leave it for some time, before removing any bugs...Maybe after the weekend when I start working again.

#36 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

I'm stuck going round in circles. Must have missed something but what. This is where I am:

Spoiler

Every route I take seems to lead me back around in a circle and I've scavenged unsuccessfully for any further tools or clues. This is the point of frustration where I would be glad of my guide stone rather than having to leave the FM for another day because apart from this I was enjoying it.

#37 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

I´m here for you, Fidcal. Did you tried to just open the door?
Only for you I fired up the mission right now, in bright daylight!! The door opens without a key on Expert!!

Spoiler

Edited by LEGION, 19 August 2010 - 08:24 AM.

#38 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5523 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

I´m here for you, Fidcal. Did you tried to just open the door?
Only for you I fired up the mission right now, in bright daylight!! The door opens without a key on Expert!!

-Yeah, it should. You sure you're not playing the betatest version? In that the door was locked.

But as LEGION said it should be open in this final version...
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#39 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

No, it's locked all right. If I've somehow got the wrong version, where would the key be? As I recall I just downloaded and uploaded a copy to the fidcal.com mirror. If this is wrong then that may be too.

#40 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Ahh, Fidcal, the mission I PM:ed you a while ago is the betatest-version. Put that in the trashbin and download the one in this thread. I started to sweat when you mentioned "mine key" and that the mint door is locked. :o

#41 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

But if you will insist on playing the older version ;)

Spoiler

#42 LEGION

LEGION

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

But if you will insist on playing the older version ;)

Spoiler

I would´ve liked that too in the final version! :P
Spoiler

#43 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

Ah! I wondered if I'd helped out with an earlier version. I must have also downloaded the new version but somehow found myself playing the old. I'd better check what I uploaded to fidcal.com. I'll start again with the new.

btw
Spoiler

I think I'm inclined to soup up the brightness on keys (on my system) so I can see them.

#44 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

In the beta-version

Spoiler

In the final version

Spoiler

#45 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

I'm having a lot of difficulty with

Spoiler

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#46 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

I'm having a lot of difficulty with

Spoiler

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Spoiler

#47 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3112 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#48 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7341 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

I cannot find anything bad about the mission except frobbing some things out of the chests was quite hard on some occations. The framerate dropped at some occations and by this I mean they went around 30 which I believe is acceptable. Missions shall absolutely be adjusted to make old-computer-folks enjoy them also, but we cannot hold on too much to the old machines. The evolving in computer games will get higher and higher and if you don't keep up you will get behind and I don't think it's totally fair to minimize effects in a mission just so somebody with a 12 year or even older rig can play it acceptable...My computer is about 3-4 years old or something and I don't have any problems with any game...

I agree with this idea in most regards (even though your FM murders my old P4... :laugh: )... My only concern is the efficiency issue. If a map is well optimized you can pack a lot more visual punch per FPS (see Bikerdude's heroic efforts with RTTC). If I or other crusty ole PC folk cant play some FM's that's just a fact of life. But if FM's are heavy on hardware requirements and lack visuals that is a real shame. I think your map has lots of dynamic lighting (shadows) which is a well known performance issue but that is your artistic call to make: more dynamic light verses better geometry... So it's hard to judge yours verses the other entrants who have kept to more traditional ratios of static to dynamic lights Fieldmedic. This is tough one because the strength of Doom 3 is dynamic lighting but if you go too wild with it you'll exacerbate Doom 3's short-comings in comparison to more modern engines. Jesps and Baddcogs (caves) clearly perform better and arguably look a better in screen-shots so you are competing by way of the mood created by all that light movement. It's pretty apples and oranges. But I am curious if there is still some performance that can be squeezed out of your map with further work anyway...

I can see a lot of brilliance in the design I just wish I could enjoy it. I will accept the concept that this map is for newer systems. I will try to struggle through it further but I may just forgo voting on this one.
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#49 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#50 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

I agree with this idea in most regards (even though your FM murders my old P4... :laugh: )... My only concern is the efficiency issue. If a map is well optimized you can pack a lot more visual punch per FPS (see Bikerdude's heroic efforts with RTTC). If I or other crusty ole PC folk cant play some FM's that's just a fact of life. But if FM's are heavy on hardware requirements and lack visuals that is a real shame. I think your map has lots of dynamic lighting (shadows) which is a well known performance issue but that is your artistic call to make: more dynamic light verses better geometry... So it's hard to judge yours verses the other entrants who have kept to more traditional ratios of static to dynamic lights Fieldmedic. This is tough one because the strength of Doom 3 is dynamic lighting but if you go too wild with it you'll exacerbate Doom 3's short-comings in comparison to more modern engines. Jesps and Baddcogs (caves) clearly perform better and arguably look a better in screen-shots so you are competing by way of the mood created by all that light movement. It's pretty apples and oranges. But I am curious if there is still some performance that can be squeezed out of your map with further work anyway...

I can see a lot of brilliance in the design I just wish I could enjoy it. I will accept the concept that this map is for newer systems. I will try to struggle through it further but I may just forgo voting on this one.

Naaw, I don't think my map is solely for the newer systems. Maybe I'll (or somebody else) can visportal it better and/or change some lighting...exactly where is the FPS-drops at its worst?

Spoiler

Edited by Fieldmedic, 19 August 2010 - 11:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users