The Dark Mod Forums

Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry

DeTeEff

Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry  

58 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

This is quite painful; I've put a lot work into filling out the space between flor trims and ceiling rims, with clip brushes to avoid the player to step up onto that tiny edge...but as it seems it's best to convert the trims into func_static and make it solid 0, performance-wice...

:(

I would break that grate into two func_statics, one bound to the other. Just take that one troublesome brush, turn it into a second func_static, and "bind" it to the rest of the grate.

A func_static made of several brushes will still scissor into tris like that. Seperate it into different func_statics, and they won't scissor.

Yes, thats the way, turn them into two func_statics. And if they need to move, just bind on to the other and they will move together.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

From just a players point of view, the AI have been getting stuck a lot. In the very beginning, when I started to climb, the game kept freezing up on me, once I got past a certain point, it was OK.

Once I made it to the top, to explore the tower further, the rocks to the left, I could climb on them, get to the higher point on them, by that hanging green light, and something killed me. After a reload, I couldn't get onto the rocks, except the first one anymore. I'm not done yet, I'll play more later. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

From just a players point of view, the AI have been getting stuck a lot. In the very beginning, when I started to climb, the game kept freezing up on me, once I got past a certain point, it was OK.

Once I made it to the top, to explore the tower further, the rocks to the left, I could climb on them, get to the higher point on them, by that hanging green light, and something killed me. After a reload, I couldn't get onto the rocks, except the first one anymore. I'm not done yet, I'll play more later. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

The outer side of the rocks are off limit due to the competition restrictions so there is a func_hurt all around to keep trespassers out :) There also is some playerclip but as you see there is still possible to get over. If I had expanded the player clip too high it would look silly if you jump down from above and halted in mid air ^_^

...so get your ass up in the tower :)

This is the only contest entry that's unplayable for me. I have older computers, but I've worked through every entry so far but this one.

The zombie above the fallen platform near the beginning stopped me cold. He planted himself in the doorway and framerates near 0 kept me from figuring out a way around him. That's where I gave up.

Since this map is designed for faster computers than mine, I'll abstain from voting.

Yes, I have lock picks, I'm on the ledge right now, went out the window. Noticed a book stuck IN a shelf. Crate missing part of the lock. I will say you've got the Vertical down pat, thats for sure. For a first mission, a really good effort.

Just needs a bit more polishing, please make more! I'm going back out onto the ledge.

Well, I finished yesterday. I'm still holding off voting some upon finishing these missions. A little recovery time and reflection.

But I will say about this one right now, out in the open:

EPIC.

ETA: I will get you that/those saves too, if you'd like to look at them, Fieldmedic. Came back much later and it was still happening. :laugh::ph34r:

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

@Aida: Good one :) Thanks for the kind words!

@Greyman: Aha...I guess I've got to get back to this mission so all you low-enders can play/vote :)

It's kinda hard to estimate how bad it will run on old computers as the mission runs with about 40-60 FPS all over on my rig...I guess I just have to convert a shitload of brushes to func_static and add more monsterbrush on places that reqiures it...

I should have bought that slave last week... :huh:

I noticed one crippling FPS problem on the level with the Builders that is just above the undead floor. Your priest doesn't know how to shut a window! I break the window, get inside, close the wooden shutters behind me... still 20 fps. I sneak around the level... find an open window :o. I didn't open it... so I close it, 60 fps. 3 seconds later a door behind me opens, the priest walks over, opens the window, stands there, and turns to leave as he shuts the window... resulting in an open window and a guy trying to close the hallway?

Anyone else with FPS issues wanna double check it's not the dolt in the silly hat leaving the window open? I'm debating putting an arrow in him even though I'm trying to play with no detections, simply because he murders my frame rate THAT badly.

Edit: wait no, can't do that. No killing..... but I have a gas arrow!

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Hm, that sounds like a bug, maybe the priest thinks the window is a door he can go through?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The AI is opening windows to look outside. That's MY doing B)

Yeah, yeah, I shall change that...! :)

I shall release a crippled version for all low-enders to play :) But that will replace the current one...

Edited by Fieldmedic

New version added! Check the first post! It's been fixed in quite a rush so please report any random errors you may encounter. Thank you for your cooperation!

Thanks for the fast update! :)

"Lockpicks more visualized"

What does that mean? Fidcals brightener? Because I already use the brightener I wasn´t able to see a difference, and I played the old version couple of minutes before to test/adjust the brightener.

Sorry to say that, but the skybox seems to be no longer affected by the fog. I just ran through the mines, so I can´t tell more. (I haven´t had bad performance in the old version anyway) But now I have to finally play Bikerdudes mission... :)

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Well...

The latest release didn't improve performance much... I am beginning to think that my erratic performance results (sometimes good other times in the same places are terrible) in this mission may be TDM bug related but OTOH killmonsters makes this map smooth as glass. I will keep struggling through and see if I can render a verdict. I still feel the challenge and design are brilliant and I've been tempted to give high marks based on this being your first release but I will try to keep things in perspective...

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Well...

The latest release didn't improve performance much... I am beginning to think that my erratic performance results (sometimes good other times in the same places are terrible) in this mission may be TDM bug related but OTOH killmonsters makes this map smooth as glass. I will keep struggling through and see if I can render a verdict. I still feel the challenge and design are brilliant and I've been tempted to give high marks based on this being your first release but I will try to keep things in perspective...

Okay...Then I must send this sucker over to somebody more involved in advanced optimization to try to squeeze out more performance...Geometrical speaking it feels quite optimized and as you say, it runs smooth without AI.

Mines: 5 haunts

"Cage-room" under tower: 1 Zombie

Floor 1: 2 Zombies

Floor 2: 2 walking guards, 1 walking priest and 3 sleeping AI

Floor 3: 7 Guards in/on the battlements.

Cental tower: 1 Guard

Church level: 4 AI

Total: 26 AI

May it be to advanced scheme on them? Somebody is sitting, somebody i sleeping and somebody just patroling.

Speaking about AI, how is Sotha's mission turning out on your P4? :)

Edited by Fieldmedic

Thanks for the fast update! :)

"Lockpicks more visualized"

What does that mean? Fidcals brightener? Because I already use the brightener I wasn´t able to see a difference, and I played the old version couple of minutes before to test/adjust the brightener.

Sorry to say that, but the skybox seems to be no longer affected by the fog. I just ran through the mines, so I can´t tell more. (I haven´t had bad performance in the old version anyway) But now I have to finally play Bikerdudes mission... :)

There is nothing changed in the world itself, but the objectives suggest there is lockpicks in the mines and it is a mandatory objective, to keep the player in the mines and search. Actually there aren't many obvious places in the mines where it could be. Either in the mint because it's the only place with furniture and a tool box. OR somwhere random on the ground. And the second thing is just WAY out and too anticlimactic :laugh:

The fog "ends" before the surface as before. The edge is when you go up the elevator shaft. The only difference is that I have cramped the surface area to minimize a vast field with usless junk, when there were performance issues in the first place.

Edited by Fieldmedic

Started reading through all these posts in desperation

I'd got to the bit with the rope arrows without realizing there were lockpits to find first. So after climbing up obviously couldn't open the hatch.

. Didn't make a save in the mine bit so guess I'll have to start over.

Agree with the comment that an objective should be finding the lockpicks before you leave the mine part.

I thought I was going mad not being able to progress and almost gave up at that point after trying to find something above to get me further up.

Started reading through all these posts in desperation

I'd got to the bit with the rope arrows without realizing there were lockpits to find first. So after climbing up obviously couldn't open the hatch.

. Didn't make a save in the mine bit so guess I'll have to start over.

Agree with the comment that an objective should be finding the lockpicks before you leave the mine part.

I thought I was going mad not being able to progress and almost gave up at that point after trying to find something above to get me further up.

If you download the most recent version I've uploaded the lockpicks should be a separate objective...Maybe you downloaded it before the update?

If you download the most recent version I've uploaded the lockpicks should be a separate objective...Maybe you downloaded it before the update?

Guess it was then. Anyhow, I've now found them !

But I still can't get through the hatch you get to after climbing the wooden ladder. That's after using the rope arrows to get up. The lockpicks won't work on it. Can someone give me a clue how to get through. I can hear an undead or something behind it.

Guess it was then. Anyhow, I've now found them !

But I still can't get through the hatch you get to after climbing the wooden ladder. That's after using the rope arrows to get up. The lockpicks won't work on it. Can someone give me a clue how to get through. I can hear an undead or something behind it.

Do you mean the hatch beside and slightly over the elevator?

I thought I had visualized this clearly enough with in-game hints but...

There is two fires. One by the ladder and one on the other side. Go to the second mentioned light and frob the small supporting beam.

Do you mean the hatch beside and slightly over the elevator?

I thought I had visualized this clearly enough with in-game hints but...

There is two fires. One by the ladder and one on the other side. Go to the second mentioned light and frob the small supporting beam.

Sorry ! Missed that. Thanks for the quick come back.