Photo

Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

Poll: Betrayal by Fieldmedic (2010/08/17) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry (56 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (11 votes [19.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.64%

3. Good (14 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Excellent (23 votes [41.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.07%

5. Near Perfect (8 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (2 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

3. Good (25 votes [44.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.64%

4. Excellent (21 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

5. Near Perfect (8 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (7 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Good (22 votes [39.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.29%

4. Excellent (21 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

5. Near Perfect (6 votes [10.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#176 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5149 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

@ thiefette: as far as I recognized it this is a new 1.08 feature :D
didn't tried it out yet, but I guess I'll have to :P
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#177 TheUnbeholden

TheUnbeholden

Campaign Dev

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Fun mission although some parts are tough, just require adequate exploration. I found the story to be alright eventhough it would be nice to really get to the bottom of things and necromancy behind it but maybe I'm just being to greedy. There is something that I liked alot and thats probably escape & and climbing up to that tower. I always love towers/castles in general so that may be just me.

Spoiler

Edited by TheUnbeholden, 18 December 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#178 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Fun mission although some parts are tough, just require adequate exploration. I found the story to be alright eventhough it would be nice to really get to the bottom of things and necromancy behind it but maybe I'm just being to greedy. There is something that I liked alot and thats probably escape & and climbing up to that tower. I always love towers/castles in general so that may be just me.

Spoiler

Glad you liked it!

I actually played my mission the other day and got frustrated over my keyhunts. The level look bland with uninspiring patrols and lots of unoptimized and boring areas. And the architecture is just WUTA, but it was an experiment as well as the story...But it's nice to see how I've improved my work over my small mapping career :) My current mission is WAY more realistic in every sense :)

Spoiler

WTF is WUTA?
Spoiler

Edited by Fieldmedic, 18 December 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#179 Bridge

Bridge

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

I found this to be very boring and frustrating to play. It is way too long especially because there is an utter lack of proper pacing and the way it is designed is maddening. For example, the key to the priest's drawer being hidden under the towels in the cubboard. There are no clues whatsoever that would suggest it would be there. I would accept it if it were a secret, but it is an essential objective. How was I supposed to know the priest had the only key to the tower? I did not even come close to getting all of the loot despite looking pretty much everywhere and for some reason the objective to find out the secret behind the strange happenings would not complete even though I found out the secret. The mapping was quite inspired in places but for most of it it was just too samey (that is to say if you could even see the mapping seeing as the level was so dark). I think the map could have done with some more reading material as well.

I gave it 2/3/2. There was a lot of potential but it was just squandered IMO. If this really was your first mission though then I have to say it's an impressive start.

#180 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

Thanks Bridge, that was an honest review :) Yes, it's my first map and yes, it's (mostly) uncoherent crap :)

#181 Jon Irenicus

Jon Irenicus

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

This is my first map and it is a quite unique map, architecturally speaking.

This is your first map?! Holy crap man, you are truly talented! Indeed, a unique map.
I enjoyed playing this for the most part. Just finished on Expert.
The difficulty is just right most of the time, but there were times when things got really tough or boring.
And I agree with what Bridge said about the key to the priest's drawer. That definitely needed some kind of clue. Luckily, I was able to find the key with relative ease because of my habit of frobbing itens.
Spoiler

Awesome work Fieldmedic, thanks!

Edited by Jon Irenicus, 30 November 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#182 Gussak

Gussak

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

I found it very cool to play!

1 - (ok - http://youtu.be/qtx4rAtNkDg?t=43m55s hehe) But I cannot complete the objective that tells us to discover about what causes the abnormality? (can someone pm me on that? what triggers it?) I am not sure if it bugged here or if I missed something because I have already walked everywhere (from prison to top tower) two times and nothing changed...

2 - (ok) [EDIT: just found it :blush:] Btw, I could not find the key to the control tower, so I had to shoot a rope arrow at the ceiling edge from a window eaves (after jumping on it from a cannon). That was actually very cool and difficult (required many loadgames) but I am not sure it was intended tho? :)

thx!

Edited by Gussak, 29 October 2014 - 02:23 PM.

"truth is a pathless land" - read Jiddu Krishnamurti

#183 Wallace

Wallace

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

How do I finish this level? Ive done all objectives and reached the lighthouse. Should activating the light be the trigger for completing the mission?

#184 MirceaKitsune

MirceaKitsune

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:34 PM

This was very nice, one of the most fun missions I played lately! I actually tried it months ago first, but gave up when I couldn't climb the tower with rope arrows (I was still a noob at the time).

What I enjoyed most of all and think this mission did a great job at was diversity: You start in a mine filled with undead, make your way out to a collapsed wooden tower, then eventually to what looks like a clean modern castle. Most TDM levels are monotonic and don't offer much change in scenery, and with it a better feeling of progress. Additionally you have to use multiple types of skills and mechanics, such as climbing and moving objects out of the way. I'd gladly offer this as an example of what I want to see in TDM more often :)

Overall, the mapping and quality were good, the gameplay pretty fun and not boring, and the story was okay for what you can expect in a single TDM mission. Very good work!

• Xarg likes this

#185 assembler

assembler

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

I just finished this mission. It was one surprise after another. I expected something like: get out of the mine full of zombies and then - change! Ok, wooden structure full of zombies - change again! :-)

You have definitely +1 point for various environments packed seamlessly into one level. I also like the vertical design of the level and especially need to use rope arrows.

Just one complain: jumping and climbing in mines was difficult as hell due to a bit wrong geometry I think.

But it was very good mission and I enjoyed it, thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users