Darkmod: Inspiration thread

1878 replies to this topic

#1701 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

AAA attention to detail is insane, just look at the coins. I beat Dishonored 2 and the DLC, I don't even remember how they looked like, except for the shape.

I dont think you can get close enough to the coins in-game...?

#1702 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

"It takes 10 days to make a chair." Now I feel a bit better now with my average output of 2-3 models per month ;)

#1703 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:01 AM

And another cool bank mission, I played it so long ago that I forgot about it. This is kind of dev walkthrough, but much more relaxed and off the record:

Edited by Judith, 19 January 2018 - 04:01 AM.

#1704 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

Stunning video of Pompeii

• Bikerdude and RPGista like this

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedar...2017-update-16/

#1705 Arcturus

Arcturus

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

mhbFGCzl.jpg

• Bikerdude, Petike the Taffer and NeonsStyle like this

It's only a model... /// My channel on YouTube

#1706 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:33 AM

Katowice? Looks and feels like Katowice.  :laugh:

• Petike the Taffer likes this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#1707 Judith

Judith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:41 AM

Arcturus lives in Gdansk, that might be a really neglected part of it ;)

#1708 Arcturus

Arcturus

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:55 AM

It's only couple of minutes from where this frame was shot:

yomktkpTURBXy9iYzc0ZTFkOWRiNmNiMTEwZTI5MDFlN2JiNjIxYzQxZi5wbmeRlQLNAmwAwsM.png

#1709 wycha

wycha

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

About the upper post.
the music video was shot in Gdańsk(in old town area), luckily Im living next to Gdańsk, and here there's a lot of stuff worth attention.

(tldr: Gdańsk is city developed as city in middle ages and improving with old town until XIX century and rebuilded fine after IIww, hanseatic league port town, a lot of prussian and dutch art influences, the street arent like english streets, are more wider, and theres not too much dark alleys)

The buildings in photo are fancy apartaments on Toruńska 15 street, the shot was taken from Kamienna Grobla 28 street.

#1710 ERH+

ERH+

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:15 PM

Aren't those beams specific for wattle and daub technique or are they used in brick walls as well? It looks like someone build a brick house next to older one and assumed its wall have enough durability to sustain one more floor of stone one.

S2wtMNl.gif

#1711 Arcturus

Arcturus

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

In polish that technique is called "mur pruski" ("Prussian wall"). Some other examples.

• ERH+ and Petike the Taffer like this

#1712 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5415 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

I'm currently playing as Poland in Crusader Kings 2 and have been trying to grab east Pomerania, including Gdansk, from the pagans for a while. (The game starts in 1066 and it's about 1078 now). Every time I try all the pagan tribes band together and shove me out by sheer force of numbers. At this rate the HRE may just grab it first.

Posted Image

#1713 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37455 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:32 PM

'm currently playing as Poland in Crusader Kings 2

Just looked up that game...is it as fun as it sounds?

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#1714 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:20 AM

While looking for inspiration to creat a town square, found this -

6079412418_6a8ae93af1_o.jpg

• Anderson and Petike the Taffer like this

#1715 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5415 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:37 AM

Just looked up that game...is it as fun as it sounds?

I think the best way to put it is, it's fun if you think role-playing a 4X game is fun. I think what makes CK2 work, out of the grand strategy lot, is the personnel management ... there are all these ambitious people around you that you have to deal with in smart ways, and it always keeps the pressure on: when is my wife going to have a male heir already, my nephew and his forces are already smelling blood; my brother just died and his evil son just inherited that province now what?!; the bishop insists this governor is a heretic but he's one of my best governors; if I arrange this marriage on the one hand I get help against the Danes but they could also be maneuvering for a claim on one of my provinces; the new king of Sweden's hot headedness is his fatal flaw and I know just how to exploit it... It's that kind of thing overlaid on top of a Civilization-like 4X game of expanding your empire as fast as you can assimilate its population.

Yeah, so, I find that fun, but it definitely targets a specific kind of personality that isn't everybody.

Posted Image

#1716 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1610 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

Aren't those beams specific for wattle and daub technique or are they used in brick walls as well? It looks like someone build a brick house next to older one and assumed its wall have enough durability to sustain one more floor of stone one.

I first saw beams in brick walls when I moved to Lüneburg in Germany. But here it is quite common.

#1717 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

mhbFGCzl.jpg

That's probably the best real life crossover of "medieval walls meet industrial era brick walls" I've seen to date. :P Nice find.

#1718 Arcturus

Arcturus

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

It's more likely to be XIX century. This part of town is beyond medieval parts of Gdańsk. According to Wiki, until XVII century there were only forest and mire.

#1719 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:51 AM

It's more likely to be XIX century. This part of town is beyond medieval parts of Gdańsk. According to Wiki, until XVII century there were only forest and mire.

Good to see old timber frames such as those, at any rate.

#1720 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

That looks like Croatia BD

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

#1721 Petike the Taffer

Petike the Taffer

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

In the recent past, I've posted photos of some older forms of manor houses from my homeland in this thread... Here's another cool one.

mld0011-1.jpg

012.jpg

32236334.jpg

Manor house from Parížovce

This one was built in the late Middle Ages and saw its heyday in the 14th-16th century. As a result, it didn't suffer the fate of later reconstructions like most earlier manor houses did. It might very well be one of a tiny handful of late-medieval, non-fortified manor houses that have kept their authentic appearance. (Most other examples were either replaced with newer structures, or rebuilt into fortified manors, or fell into ruin.) Originally, this specimen stood in the former village of Parížovce, which became defunct due to the building of a water reservoir. The manor house was carefully moved and rebuilt at the Pribylina open-air museum, Apparently, back in the 15th century, Matthias Corvinus liked to use this little manor house during stays in the Liptov region.

I think it would look neat if recreated in TDM, though one can of course enlarge it or otherwise embellish its details. :)

Edited by Petike the Taffer, 11 February 2018 - 06:36 PM.

• Bikerdude likes this

#1722 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:08 AM

Islamic art is just sublime. Take a look at how beautiful it is, how meaningful it is, and how they recreated it in The Met. If we had these textures and panels it'd be amazing.

• Dragofer, Aosys, Petike the Taffer and 1 other like this

#1723 NeonsStyle

NeonsStyle

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:58 PM

This is a gorgeous tower. It'd make a great prefab. (God dammit. Why won't this embed images any more from mediarfire or google drive? It won't let me use Imgur either.) 

cool_medieval.jpg

Edited by NeonsStyle, 14 February 2018 - 10:32 PM.

#1724 Dragofer

Dragofer

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:09 AM

Dug out some more of my favourite concept art:

1J3UV5m.jpg

iSWgi8j.jpg

Source
  • Taquito. likes this

#1725 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:17 AM

Oh man thats gorgeous, with a few more props (floating balls, fishing tackle, piles of fishing nets, fish text for the existing basket, lanterns etc)  and some extra exterior building modules to match Springheels, scenes like this would be a breeze to create.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users