Photo

Vertical Contest Mission: Somewhere Above the City by Grayman (Aug 20, 2010)

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Poll: Somewhere Above the City by Grayman (2010/8/20) Summer FM Vertical Contest Entry (67 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (6 votes [8.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

3. Good (22 votes [32.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.84%

4. Excellent (32 votes [47.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.76%

5. Near Perfect (7 votes [10.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.45%

2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (2 votes [2.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.99%

3. Good (9 votes [13.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.43%

4. Excellent (37 votes [55.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.22%

5. Near Perfect (19 votes [28.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.36%

3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

3. Good (13 votes [19.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.40%

4. Excellent (29 votes [43.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.28%

5. Near Perfect (24 votes [35.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Yes, that's the bug. Don't know what the cause is though.

Spoiler

#27 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5600 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Oh my.

What a nice mission!

Spoiler

All in all. Really good mission. I am quite sure this mission will fare very well in this contest.
Congratulations Grayman!
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#28 id3839315

id3839315

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

Thank you for this gorgeous mission with introduction and ending clips.

Spoiler

#29 jdude

jdude

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4001 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

I want to add that I got caught by lightning at one point and it way a 'WOW' point! :)

#30 Carnage

Carnage

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

Great mission, especially the beginning was a joy, so beautiful the mines. I bet it took quite some time to create those. Because the mines were that great, the middle part became really boring though. Took me quite a while to figure out what to do in the end but what a great ending. Story really is one of the best so far. Also loved the drunk guard in the beginning :).

#31 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the good comments.

My maps have to have few guards because my computer is 5+yo and I can't play/test with more than 2 on the screen at a time. If/When I get a new computer, I'll be able to do better in this area.

The voices are all me. I wasn't happy with how they turned out, but I didn't have time to redo them. My son does some pro voice work in Hollywood, and he volunteered to do voices on real pro-grade recording equipment, but I just didn't have the time to get him involved.

Every mushroom was hand-planted. Every ... effing ... mushroom. That's one reason why I was so perturbed that DR can't properly rotate a group of objects; origins go flying every which way, and I had to take the time to go fetch each one of those suckers. I was very happy when the mine was finished and I could move up into the building. Using jdude's tutorial on mines as a model, they turned out pretty nice. That, and some eerie pictures of a slate mine in Ireland.

My apologies if the ending is confusing. If I had it to do over again, I would do something that was easier to figure out.

Spoiler

#32 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

Once again trying to avoiding reading this thread until I have played the mission... staying spoiler free...

Can soomeone please PM me to let me know if there has been some sort of updated version of this mission? I think maybe I have come across slight hints of such in glimpses and glances...
"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

#33 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:37 AM

it could be really masterpiece but sadly it's not.

Spoiler

Anyway, I really wish this map was well polished but it wasn't possible in the circumstances of contest. So, I request long term contests in the future.

#34 Tarhiel

Tarhiel

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

No Fidcal, you werenīt the only one who had problem with the flask.

Well, I did take it immediately after reading the journal, but I agree it shoud have some distincitve texture over it. When I had it in inventory, I coudnīt take any of those in laboratory, so I thought this was the only one. Also, as somebody pointed out, Journal was a bit too long. It would be better to shorten the message, or divide the main idea into different notes. I also didnīt knew I had to destroy that machine at the top of the tower. I tried to frob the buttons, but it didnīt work, so I let it be. And why did the electric trap at trapdoor didnīt stop to work, even when the source of itīs energy was destroyed? I noticed a button behind the ladder, is that suppose to disable the trap? Because I didnīt try to frob it, it would take too much of my life, and I didnīt had too much at that point.

But apart from that, it was excellent. It has atmosphere which graduated as you progressed, except that point when you reached the top of tower and you didnīt knew what to do (some other hints/more specific objectives would do the trick). For me the best mission of the contest, alongside with The Glenham Tower. Second place for Rift, Betrayal and then Illusionist tower.

Iīd like to thank this way to all of you who are participating not only in this contest, but in creating these missions (and, of course, developers of darkmod+tools), which are getting better and better. Itīs good to see one of my favorite games in up-to-date graphics and alive and well :)

#35 Briareos H

Briareos H

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

As said, a few bugs here and there, the middle part feels empty and the ending goals are a bit confusing.
However, this is a gorgeous FM dripping with atmosphere, detail, good ideas and interactivity. It's the first time that I feel really there in TDM. Keep up the good work Grayman!

This is my fave so far.

#36 PranQster

PranQster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

Awesome!
I agree that there could have been more AI and more lockpicking, etc. to make it a bit more difficult. But besides that, I loved it!
Finished in 49 minutes and missed 200 loot on Expert mode, so I'll have to play it through again.
I'm thinking:
Spoiler

mageia_mini.png Linux pranqster 4.12.6-desktop-1.mga7 #1 SMP Sat Aug 12 15:32:38 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#37 dumpkin

dumpkin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

Wow, what a nice experience. Please keep on building, I can't wait for a continuation.

Only weak point is the two or three floors with the passenger elevator don't quite fit to the excellent rest regarding design, tension and fun.

#38 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

I'm thinking:

Spoiler

Well ...
Spoiler

#39 Trickster

Trickster

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

excellent mission, clear winner:laugh:
graphic ecstasy, heavy atmosphere and great gameplay.
Runs smoothly for me, nevermind occassional low fps.
I personally donīt like mines much because they are boring (especially when lost)
but yours was pretty entertaining.

#40 Nielsen74

Nielsen74

• PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Excellent all the way Posted Image nice going there grayman Posted Image
Spoiler

I had the front bug too Posted Image

#41 7upMan

7upMan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:08 AM

My maps have to have few guards because my computer is 5+yo and I can't play/test with more than 2 on the screen at a time. If/When I get a new computer, I'll be able to do better in this area.

Grayman, where do you live? If you live in Germany, I could offer you my spare ATI Radeon HD4870 for cheap. 

Oh, and yes, I had that font bug too. Must be something wrong with your FM, then.
My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

#42 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:04 AM

Grayman, where do you live? If you live in Germany, I could offer you my spare ATI Radeon HD4870 for cheap.

Nicht Deutschland.

USA.

Thanks, though.

#43 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

Oh yeah - I also had that lost Hud font bug. This is new to me. I suspect it might be the default font bug but I think that was fixed. But that might have just prevented the default doom font showing? Better to have the doom font that nothing if so.

I didn't think I had control over the HUD fonts. Is there something I was supposed to do to make sure fonts showed up after a savegame reload? Thought all this kind of stuff was standard "comes with the game" stuff.

#44 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

No it's not your fault grayman, (AFAIK ;)) Some time ago we had quite a few instances where FMs changed to the default doom font. Not seen that for a while. Possibly that was fixed. Possibly the fix stopped it using the doom font but maybe the cause is still there so now it defaults to nothing. I just don't know. But there is nothing to set in the FM itself.

#45 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

I had a problem with all my text disappearing - is this the font bug spoken about earlier? I've started over as I don't remember what the key was for, whose journal I have and can't tell how many weapons I have ie number of rope arrows etc. Someone mentioned something about the quicksave so am going to try and stay away from that as I had text at the beginning of the mission and not sure when it disappeared. So far am almost back to where I was and still have text.

Posted Image I was wrong. I just went back into my game and all text has disappeared again. I hadn't used any quicksaves and it was there yesterday when I quit for the day, so I don't know.

Edited by Thiefette, 23 August 2010 - 08:36 PM.

#46 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:06 PM

So why is this bug picking on my entry?

#47 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36572 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

Ok, I'm stuck early on. The first time, I wasn't able to frob
Spoiler
so wasn't sure what to do.

Restarted, this time the
Spoiler

edit: My thiefy senses are obviously not what they used to be. :blush:

Maybe a TDM bug, but in my quicksavegame the HUD font disappeared.

I had this bug as well.

#48 Mortem Desino

Mortem Desino

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Maybe the font bug is related to the Trainer quicksave bug. Perhaps savegamess aren't picking up TDM's new HUD elements correctly?
yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

#49 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36572 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

This is the only mission I've seen this in.

#50 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

[quote name='Springheel' date='24 August 2010 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1282698689' post='229144']
Spoiler

Spoiler

Let me know if you need more hints.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users