The Dark Mod Forums

Vertigo Contest Entry - Swing - by Komag (2010/08/25)

Komag

Vertigo Contest Entry - Swing - by Komag (2010/08/25)  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Okay, rotating objects like those in Swing will be able to be mantled in the next release. Mantling moving things still has some issues with clipping into other solids while you're doing it, but it's improved a bit.

Is this change up on SVN then? I'd like to try it out if I could.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah it should be up, unless I'm committing to the wrong branch, but I checked the dates of the last updates to make sure it was the right one.

Wow, just tried it, amazing work there! All of the mantling was very realistic, I had to be careful on the rotating barrel. If I didn't time it right it would turn and I'd fall off the side. This is so much better now and it also opens up a lot of possibilities. :wub:

Nice work! I can't test it myself right now, but this is something I've wished for for a long time!

I think I'm going to throw up another video just for Moddb, or something.

EDIT: Video is up, it's currently still processing so it probably won't work or will look like crap:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Crazy mission! It is like "TDM defrag".

I remember seeing the Komag's concept videos of riding on the moving rope in TDM a long time ago. Perhaps even before TDM was released. I never thought these concept demos would make it into a fan mission :wacko:

Can anyone explain how to swing while on the rope?

Also there are a few things that were a bit disappointing. Just a few things...

1. That damn thing you are climbing on is not rotating. Looks very unrealistic, the sense of being on the moving platform disappears quickly. But I think it is limitation of Doom3 physics engine...

2. I shot several rope arrows at the wheel rotating in the vertical plane. But I didn't manage to ride on them... Though the ropes behaved very cool in physical sense!

One arrow managed to stop the wheel - it's a pity that stuck arrows are not breakable.

3. The "companion cube" I saw at the beginning of the level is not useful. Or I haven't found its usage. Is it usable in any way?

I remember that I was able to jump on a rope that I shot in the rotating wheel and could swing (with attack-button), but couldn´t reach the crown, but KoMaG said later that he never thought of that way, so, not intended to do it this way...

I´m now waiting nearly four minutes to watch this video, have to download it now, with 50kb/s <_< ...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

1. That damn thing you are climbing on is not rotating. Looks very unrealistic, the sense of being on the moving platform disappears quickly. But I think it is limitation of Doom3 physics engine...

Actually I think it the physics engine could handle it, though fps might not be great.

The issue is that it was a vertical contest mission, and the 'playable area' was very limited horizontally, so there wasn't enough room to make the swing move AND have the player stay within the contest size limits.

But there was no size limit for the skybox itself so it could be huge and rotate and not break the rules,

So it was actually quite an ingenious way to pull it off.

But if the swing really did move it might be ultra tough on the player as you'd slide off the floor as it tilted. So you'd be trying to walk up those tiny stairs AND counter the swing, etc...

------

I don't remember a companion cube, there were a few crates but probable just decoration. If moveable you could put them near the edge and stick a rope arrow in them to climb down further maybe. (I never did get that lower bottle)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 3 months later...

I know this thread sort of has run its (initial) course, but I just found and completed this mission. From the moment I got out in the open and saw the insane contraption and the swaying scenery, I was giggling and howling with utter giddiness. It's absolute genius, and I want to play a whole 16-hour campaign exclusively consisting of missions like this. I'm totally serious, I loved it that much. I don't care if it's not sneaky and thiefy, and I'm an (armchair) adrenaline junkie anyway, so this is perfect for me.

Anyway, a question:

some of you mentioned using one or two ropes to reach the lowest platform that's jutting out beneath the whole swing, but I can't seem to figure out exactly how that works. I managed to get down to the tiny protrusion that is on the outside of one of the corners, but from there the platform is still a huge distance. I can't even begin to imagine how one more rope arrow would bring me closer... Any tips as to how to get all the way down?

Thanks. And again, thanks for the amazingly imaginative thrill ride, it's one of my all time favorite FMs now!

Here's a quick vid how to reach that platform:

Thank you for the helpful vid, I finally have all the bottles! That little protuberance on the bottom corner of the swing threw me off completely – I got so fixated on it that the most obvious and straightforward solution never even occurred to me.

Those bumps were only a cover for the little "blank" objects I stuck in those corners to trigger the sound syncing for the "CHINK CHINK" near the top and the long wind "SWOOSH"s near the bottom

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 9 months later...

I love this FM. I still play it every now and again. It's just great fun!

One thing that's always bothered me though. Why is there a little house on the base of the Swing? Is it some sort of home for a caretaker who maintains the Swing? Unless everything in the house is glued down wouldn't everything inside be mess once the Swing has been up and down a few times?

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Wow, that video is awesome!

The house in indeed for the worker on the swing, and he has it set up like how they do in modern motorhome where everything is very contained and "nailed down" in one way or another. :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I just picked up TDM since it went standalone, I finished the mission that came with the game and immediately downloaded Swing on a whim based on the description. I love it. Though I have an issue that I haven't been able to find any info on. After I ride the small elevator down, I cross a beam and I am supposed to ride a launch pad/chair thing. When I use it I get killed instantly(I assume by the force of the launchpad moving rapidly). I watched this part in a walkthrough video and he used it fine as intended. I suspect this is an issue brought on by a newer patch(standalone patch?) which might have tweaked impact damage/collisions?

I don't expect this to be resolved just for me, I just thought I would let everyone know that this mission seems to be broken currently, unless I've done something wrong. I even tried on normal difficulty just in case it had something to do with health values.

The physics was altered in 2.0 to fix a bug for certain objects, so that might have had a side-effect of doing this. I'll ask about it & see if we can't track down the problem & fix it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 1 month later...

The physics was altered in 2.0 to fix a bug for certain objects, so that might have had a side-effect of doing this. I'll ask about it & see if we can't track down the problem & fix it.

So, noone wrote here for a whole month! Is there any progress in solving this bug problem? Otherwise I could not complete this beautiful mission and these thoughts make me so sad(