The Dark Mod Forums

Updated fan missions for Wiki listing

SneaksieDave

Just a reminder that when missions are updated, we need to make efforts to update hosting to the new versions and if necessary update the FM download wiki page.

I believe so far at least two (or three?) summer vertical contest missions have been updated, and there might have been other independent FM updates recently too, but either it didn't come to mind to update the page or the means wasn't there (I can't update hosting sites and rapidshare and mediafire suck).

We need coordinated effort to keep links up to date: the author announces and posts the update, hosts grab it and mirror, any of us update the wiki if necessary. Authors: if your updated versions are not reflected on the wiki, please speak up (loudly if necessary) to bring it to attention (here, or in the appropriate thread).

Example updates exist on the wiki; see Heart of Lone Salvation or The Tears of St Lucia.

I am also tired of manually mirroring the FM files, manual download, manual upload, then no means to check I got actually the right file etc. Can't we somehow automate this?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I was going to ask "maybe you should take a poll on how many are set up for torrenting"... but rather try how many are not. (That way you make, as they should, those "not"s feel out of the loop, again as they should...

The FMs should be torrented here. And tracked on:

http://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce

http://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce

I could keep a heap of them going on that box in there that is folding proteins and curing cancer and such... but I do wonder sometimes if the user community is maybe so out of step with things that torrent-readiness really may be a rarity?

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Torrents are still not really "one-click", plus, how do you update the torrent when a new mission comes out? Plus, announcing a new torrent is even more work for me as I do not regular use torrents etc. etc. Torrents are great for some people, but not for others :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of...

It's like when you are a pothead... you think everyone smokes pot... :laugh:

For me, all of the above questions you raise are: yes one-click for me, my client/server is always running; make a torrent for each FM, simple; if the community was as torrent savvy and receptive as I'd hope (but somehow feel might not be) I'd happily open a thread here exclusively for torrents tracked on those (and a few other open) trackers; and etc etc; and torrents are great for everyone! get with it! what sucks are these repositories with ads, wait times, limits, multiple-clicks ups and downs...

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

• 2 weeks later...

I probably can't help here much, but since I just ran across THIS thread by accident,

I would like to point out a rather long post I just made here :rolleyes: :

How to release a Fan-Mission

I am sure you guys hate me in the meanwhile. :laugh:

Quick bottom-line:

I would request the following missions on the TDM site to be added/updated:

add 'Illusionist's Tower' by Stumpy

add 'Lord Dufford's' by Stumpy

add 'Swing' by Komag

update 'Betrayal' v1.1 by Fieldmedic

update 'Somewhere Above the City' v1.1 by Grayman

On the Wiki I updated the link to the latest version of 'Betrayal' myself today already.

As for the TDM-page : from what I can say, you can find the latest versions for the missions outlined above via the Wiki-download-links.

At least I spent some time today to examine all Mission-threads for updates, downloading & comparing the PK4 between the Wiki & the TDM site.

As for the update-procedure :

How about requiring mission-authors to send you a web-form or eMail (see the rant above) ?

If they don't do it, they won't be listed.

However, the Wiki would become obsolete with this. Otherwise it would make little sense.

Or you require them to do the entries on the Wiki themselves.

No obvious update by them on the Wiki - then no mirroring activity by you !

This should reduce attention required on your side and should be a fair deal.

It makes no sense that you guys need to figure out yourself who created a new mission

or in which post you can find a hint on an update & figuring out which like is the right one.

You clearly have more important things to care about.

Regarding Torrent : I have heard pros & cons on this, but don't have a strong opinion on this.

However in Germany at least there are some legal concerns with using such software, no matter what it is actually used for.

Anyway some authors for sure will simply refuse this approach as well and stick to posting their missions the 'traditional way'.

Edited by gnartsch

I would request the following missions on the TDM site to be added/updated:

update 'Somewhere Above the City' v1.1 by Grayman

I assume some vetting process goes on after a mission is released. To be listed on the TDM site, it has to be free of copyrighted material, etc.

Authors can update the Wiki page themselves, but someone on the TDM team has to update the TDM page after the vetting process.

I assume this is how it works.

Having two pages means more work for someone, but reducing them to one page to reduce errors means (because of the vetting process) authors wouldn't be able to make their own updates.

Edited by grayman

Nonsense.

Sadly it isn´t. At least when you don´t live alone and your room-mate downloaded actual music you will have to pay, not him, than it doesn´t matter if you have the program or not. But if they come back later for whatever reason they provide and find the program, it can get tricky here. In this damn state your defending lawyers profit as much as the ones working for the music industry. Mostly the courts are not on your side here. As ever.

But I guess it is only this terrible in the music industry that I´m not interested in either.

Second guess: Using a proxy, would this prevent them from sniffing out your IP-address?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Sadly it isn´t. At least when you don´t live alone and your room-mate downloaded actual music you will have to pay, not him,

Only if you are the account holder. Also, you could "show" that it wasn't you (but as you said, in civil court that can easily cost a lot). In any event, in Germany the situation is bad, but not as bad as having a torrent program automatically proves you are guilty.

(Hint: Encrypt your HD and simply refuse to give out the key - then nobody can prove you was it, either, so it stands "Aussage gegen Aussage". This massivly improves your situation, otherwise they *will* use whatever they find in supporting whatever theory (usually starting with "defendent is guilty of..."). In fact, never talk to police or the prosecution or the press or the other lawyer. Only ever talk to your lawyer.

Second guess: Using a proxy, would this prevent them from sniffing out your IP-address?

Only if you use this:

http://www.torproject.org/overview.html.en

Sadly it isn´t.

SCNR :)

lol,

back to the other offtopic:

Erm, so if I activate Polipo, Tor I mean, but Polipo makes a proxy (you see and already know, I understand nothing of this, well, most of it), so than I start uTorrent after Tor is connected I´m save and can´t be detected anymore?

I used a http-proxy before which I activated only for the Torrent-software, was that save or not?

Because I just downloaded 'Stairway To Heaven' couple of minutes before... rolleyes.gif

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

LEGION,

First let's get this out of the way, eh?

there are some legal concerns with using such software, no matter what it is actually used for

your room-mate downloaded actual music...

Which is it?

:rolleyes:

Anyway,

Mostly the courts are not on your side here

Of course not. It is the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie. This and more was figured out ~150 years ago by Marx and Engels... I see you have an inkling of the problem, the only problem now is that you think there is nothing to do about it. You promote that notion and you play right into their hands. The solution was prescribed by Marx and Engels as well. Look into that. Look into what they said. Not interpretations. What they said. Understand that, first, and then find those more modern thinkers that understand what they said and avoid the revisionists and outright distortion.

There is also and alas a sickening pile of pseudo-leftist junk floating about to muddle your mind and lead to the kind of despair you should avoid. And should avoid spreading.

Despair is the chief weapon of the big bourgeoisie, it works a terrible wonder on the petty bourgeois mind...

But nature of (most) men (mankind I mean, but women are not much better, look at Condulica Rice) almost has already led us to the end and only a big bang can help us out here, but so few want to or even care. Here in Germany most people are not happy but do nothing against it and don´t use their democratic power (if it even exists). Instead they demonise the only (left) party that could make a change for the better, elect the true devils without even reading their programs or see/understand what they´re doing. I abandoned hope half a year ago, for my country and western world at least. Maybe I go to Venezuela, hmm, better not, or... *BloodPressure decreases*

Oh, about the music,

in my case it was the debut-album from Gossip, that I download for my girlfriend. They detected me for 73 seconds (!, on our internet connection it is impossible to download a single song in that time, but I´m not sure if that had made a difference in court) and I forgot how many they wanted from me (four digits), but I/we had to pay 600 € for our lawyer. And they were the ones who said we should erase the software, or it´s bad for eventual future cases. Oh, and these bastards still wanted the money but my girlfriend ignored them and we never heard of them...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

If you think that the "nature" of man is determinedly fucked up... well then you have completely ignored what I just tried to encourage you to do. You can really only blame yourself for falling into the trap. I have said what I can. You have to do some thinking -- if you really give a shit -- and stop this despair. I have said what I can.

Descend then. It's happened before. You, being where you are, can probably still smell the stench of it...

Or raise yourself up, goddamn it!

We are on the brink again.

Edited by aidakeeley