The Dark Mod Forums

1st time

RipnRaid

I don't have steam, but it's possible that information may be out of date.

Hopefully another steam user will pop in here to correct me if I'm wrong.

You should just be able to go to the darkmod directory, right click on TDM launcher and choose to send a shortcut to desktop. Then double click the tdm launcher shortcut to start the mod. As far as I know, you no longer need to pass those instructions through a steam shortcut.

I haven't got steam either but as I read the FAQ it means:

Create a shortcut for steam on your desktop.

Right click it and select properties.

In the top box it should have the path and name to steam.exe

Add to that a space then -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod

So that box reads something like:

C:\pathtosteam\steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod

Where tdmlauncher comes into the picture I don't know. The FAQ doesn't make sense to me.

I got steam version. The game saves into /steamapps/common/doom3

I simply start the game from tdmlauncher.exe and I've created a shortcut there.

There never was any fuss on this.

Yes that is where I click in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\doom 3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe"

that folder is where tdmlauncher.exe is that I click onto.

Edited by RipnRaid

Yes that is where I click in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ doom 3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe"

that folder is where tdmlauncher.exe is that I click onto.

How odd. It should just work. At least works for me. Win7 issue? Is your darkmod installation ok?

Could there be a path issue, like tdmlauncher, doom3 or steam unable to handle the odd "(" characters in your path?

You could check this by moving steam assets to another folder without ( ) marks in the path and test.

https://support.stea...=7418-YUBN-8129

I'm just blind guessing here. I'll check my config once I get back home and post back.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

So does that FAQ thing mean it's just a one-off thing you do to configure steam/doom3 for darkmod but you separately actually launch tdmlauncher.exe? If so it ought to say so. If not then it should be changed. Or maybe all steam users know what it means.

I think those instructions are from before we had TDM Launcher and are probably no longer applicable.

RipnRaid, simply go into the folder where darkmod is install...which should be inside the doom 3 folder, right click on tdmlauncher, and choose to send the shortcut to desktop. This should work, you shouldn't need to do the other stuff.

Yes. I'm checking my configuration now and I have done no changes. tdm_launcher.exe should simply work without any fuss.

Maybe you should check your tdmlauncher.log for clues. Mine looks like this:

Path to tdmlauncher is E:\Pelit\Steam\steamapps\ common\doom 3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe

Darkmod directory is E:\Pelit\Steam\steamapps\ common\doom 3\darkmod\

Trying default value for engine executable is E:\Pelit\Steam\steamapps\ common\doom 3\DOOM3.exe

Found engine executable in E:\Pelit\Steam\steamapps\ common\doom 3\DOOM3.exe

Could not find 'currentfm.txt' file in E:/Pelit/Steam/steamapps/common/doom 3/darkmod/currentfm.txt

Current FM is:

Full argument string is: +set fs_game darkmod

Detected Steam version of D3; Steam executable found at E:\Pelit\Steam\steamapps\ ..\steam.exe

Starting process E:\Pelit\Steam\steamapps\ ..\steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game darkmod

Closing logfile.

So it looks like tdm_launcher.exe should autodetect your steam config and starts it properly.

What does your log say? Especially the parts I've bolded in my log are probably important.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Yes. I'm checking my configuration now and I have done no changes. tdm_launcher.exe should simply work without any fuss.

Maybe you should check your tdmlauncher.log for clues. Mine looks like this:

So it looks like tdm_launcher.exe should autodetect your steam config and starts it properly.

What does your log say? Especially the parts I've bolded in my log are probably important.

OK some how it put it all in the wrong place. I guess I should delete Doom 3 and start over again. here is what my log says.

Path to tdmlauncher is C:\Windows\SysWOW64\tdmlauncher.exe

Darkmod directory is C:\Windows\SysWOW64\

Trying default value for engine executable is C:\Windows\DOOM3.exe

Could not find engine executable at default locations, will be searching command line arguments for a path to doom3 executable.

Could not find 'currentfm.txt' file in C:/Windows/SysWOW64/currentfm.txt

Current FM is:

Full argument string is: +set fs_game darkmod

Starting process C:\Windows\DOOM3.exe +set fs_game darkmod

Error when spawning D3 process: No such file or directory

Closing logfile.

How do i uninstall darkmod after i uninstall doom3 ? I want to make sure I get this right next time.

You should be able to cut-and-paste your Darkmod folder to another location then reinstall Doom3 and paste it back into the directory then run the tdm_updater. If you fear that some files may have become corrupt then you can simply delete your darkmod directory. For the most part (from an installation perspective), other than the installer and updater, The Dark Mod is like any other self-contained Doom 3 mod, you just place it in the Doom 3 directory and it get's recognized. There are no registry values, etc to remove.

(For the Dev team, "Yes, I agree, TDM is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than any other Doom 3 mod" :laugh: )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)