The Dark Mod Forums

TDM versus TDS

Bikerdude

and most impressively of all, the story is believable, genuinely sinister and ties seamlessly into the Thief continuum. Impeccable cutscenes showing the City in its full glory. Real readables with actual nuance.

Hehe, yeah we were (and still are of course) very happy with the story back in the days when we wrote it and we are also very happy we decided to introduce Tiens to the team. She was a great addition and Str8g8 did wonders on cutscenes and concept art. He really knows what he is doing.

But if you liked it so far, stay tuned for the other parts. I can assure you, every one of the four missions consists of totally different and unique gameplay, bringing back some of the classic thief elements and the story evolves more and more. The mappers did a really great job there. I basically just helped organising some things and helped with the story, as I kind of got fed up with T3ED and I also started studying at that time... So all praise should go to Judith, Ziemanskye, NomadOfThePacific and Str8g8. And of course big thanks to Jay Petite, who hosted a forum and ftp etc. for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Allow me one last offtopic question:

Depending on when the parallax and the SSAA are applied, it makes sense that SSAA didn't have any effect on the outcome. Imagine SSAA is applied first, the parallax after that would immediately lead to alias again.

Can I somehow influence at which order SSAA/parallax/relief is applied? Or is it a Doom3-sourceCode-thing?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I don't believe that the Doom 3 source has provision for AA to be applied to Shader output but ATI and Nvidia have found ways to hack AA into the rendering pipeline and allow you to force it. When modders create shaders that neither ATI nor Nvidia can anticipate those hacks dont work. Sikkpin has resolved this in his mod by creating a shader that does AA (but it is also VERY expensive).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

See this excerpt from the Material Definition:

postProcess/edgeAA
{
sort	postProcess
{
	Program		edgeAA.vfp 
	fragmentMap	0 		_currentRender
	fragmentMap	1		nearest	_depth
	vertexParm	0		Parm0	// AA far clip distance
	vertexParm	1		Parm1	// offset scale
	vertexParm	2		Parm2	// depth distance threshold
} 
}

I believe that this is the needed CVAR: r_useEdgeAA

And this is some distance optimization CVAR: r_edgeAADistance

Edited by nbohr1more

Shit, shit, shit.

I merged sikkmod-pak9 into my DentonMod-mod and I don´t have that cvar. Was there a dll with sikkmod? Because I don´t have any? And that damn Rapidshare-download from your other thread is deleted. The doomworld-thread-links sill doesn´t work for me.

I need dll-access to have it working with Denton-mod, eh? But again, I only have 'pak9modifies' from sikkmod, damn, I stupid idiot must´ve deleted the main mod-folder...

Fu**, could you mail me the rest from sikkmod, please Nils? :blush:

Or do I miss sth for the autoexec.cfg maybe?

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Did you try putting

seta r_useEdgeAA"1"

into autoexec.cfg ?

If you have edgeAA.vfp in your glprogs directory and postProcess.mtr in your Materials directory then that should work... Both mods use a gamex86.dll so I'm surprised that you could combine them but I suspect that Sikkpin's DLL was scrapped?

I didn´t use sikk´s dll, I just put his pk4 in, and denton´s stuff over it...

In the console those cvar is not present.

When I put it in Autoexec, it´s there, but no difference, still Aliasing. What value did you have for AddDistance anyway?

Could you send me please sikk´s dll and it´s autoexec? My eMail is public. I must´ve lost it.

I hope I still can use Denton´s alt-weapon-funktions with sikk´s dll...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I hope I still can use Denton´s alt-weapon-funktions with sikk´s dll...

Oh god, please make this work. It would solve all my problems with the modified Doom in an instant. 

Besides, Niels, do you know if Sikkpin has also AF fixed?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Sikkpin doesn't appear to have an AF solution in his mod other than blurring the hell out of distant objects with his Depth Of Field solution (If he incorporated and Object LOD framework in the DLL, nobody would be able to tell how horrible the low-poly models looked :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ).

If anyone should get credit for the merge, it should be LEGION as I haven't had much tinker time at home.

(I got discouraged about mod merging after I couldn't merge Denton's mod with the Classic Doom mod.)

Ha, as you talk of screenshots, I just uploaded an album with my actual mod-merge with Denton, ExtremeQuality and sikkmod as other little stuff... Oh, the very first shot shows very well the evil in all of this improvements...

But sorry 7upMan. It looks as horrible in Sikkmod as in Dentonmod. Even without HighRes-textures the edges flicker and sikk´s edgeAA is not a help, in fact it is as Nils described DepthOfField, it just lays a blurry film over the textures, but they still flicker when you move the view. I increased the effect but couldn´t get rid of the flickering, though it was blurry until under my virtual feet! <_< The Relief-effect is the source of all evil (interaction.vfp), but it also looks so damn good. I love the screenshots from the Enpro-level, also I never saw doors this sexy, yeah, doors!!! :blink:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Sikkmod seems to be more of an experiment than something that is completely practical.

The concept is "How many shader effects that need Z-Buffer data can share the same data from one Z-Buffer render?".

So instead of having SSAO effect do a Z-Pass for the whole scene then have Soft-Shadows do the same Z-pass, then DOF, etc you do one expensive Z-Buffer render at the start and then have all the other effects milk data from that first pass. It is punishing to the GPU to have to reverse engineer the whole scene from the first Z-pass for every effect but it doesn't require the CPU to keep getting pummeled for that Z-Pass for every effect (which is MUCH worse).

It's a fun mod for folks with Quad GTX480's :laugh:

Edited by nbohr1more

Okay, so then why is that Z pass so important to the AA and AF? I mean, looking at LEGION's screenshots I decided to give it a try, but I'd still like to know where exactly the problem lies. Niels, can you go into detail?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

AA has to be applied to the edges of geometry before post processing, since Doom 3 doesn't provide access to the geometry in the scene you have to guess the geometry edges by interpolating the Z-Pass data. I suppose you would also need geometry data to correctly calculate AF. I can't even guess how expensive a "post-process" AF solution would be...

When Doom 3 goes Open Source these crazy antics shouldn't be needed.

Edit:

To clarify further, the Parallax Mapping introduces new silhouette edges after the initial geometry pass is rendered so it needs it's own AA pass.

Edited by nbohr1more

Yeah, ATI 5000/6000 series or nvidia 4xx series could pull-off some of this stuff pretty smoothly.

I think Sikkpin might get around to putting an AA stage into his POM shader and someone could do the same for parallax mapping using his work as a template (unless he does that as well).

It's just a crying shame that they would be wasting all those FPS on stuff that would be much easier if you could tell the shader stages where the real triangles are. :rolleyes:

Edit:

ATI's 6000 series has a post-processing AA method built into the drivers call MLAA so maybe you could skip Sikkpin's version?

Will LEGION buy a new video card to find out if the artifact is gone?

Edited by nbohr1more

Ha, well, I´ll buy an ATI-card from 7upMan for this christmas, but will this be then MLAA-compatible? But 7upMan himself has a card capable of that, right?

edit: I just saw that the order of the screenshots is mixed, so the shot I talked about showing most the negative effect is this one.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more