The Dark Mod Forums

moddb

ungoliant

Thanx to nbohr1more's effort, we had a pretty strong surge of visitors on moddb the last days. With 759 visitors yesterday we have had he second-best day (the very best had 1002 visitors), this is great! The current spike is very visible in the stats (the stats do inaccurately combine the values when you zoom out, computing some sort of average, not the sum or highest).

Comparing this to the Hexen Mod, they achieved rank 1 on moddb today, with having 72000 visitors in total (we have 94000). We are now on rank 42, which is greta, because usually we hover not even in the first 100, but then, the rank computation might be totally dubious :)

So, all in all, we are doing good on moddb :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a little reflection I see that we got a little help from a couple of factors.

1) Most of the shooter fans would be playing COD Black Ops, including many of the mod makers for the genre... slow news day, plenty of front-page time

2) Hexen's release probably brought some Doom 3 owners back to the site after a long inactive period for mod updates for that game

And possibly one that has me a little worried...

3) Folks who mistook this for the Blackheart Manor release because all they remembered was the word "Manor" :laugh:

(From this point on, please make sure your FM has the word "Manor" at the end of the name :laugh: )

Hopefully we can keep the momentum going and the eyes of potential contributors will be steered our way...

:)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I will do that tonight along with high-lighting Bikerdude's interview (the original post didn't have any effect but a news blurb about the screens and the interview should do it). Sotha interview next...

Yes, AluminumHaste's work deserves a lot of the credit here, just look at the screen-shot hits.

:D

I will do that tonight along with high-lighting Bikerdude's interview (the original post didn't have any effect but a news blurb about the screens and the interview should do it). Sotha interview next...

Yes, AluminumHaste's work deserves a lot of the credit here, just look at the screen-shot hits.

:D

Hey I'm just taking screenshots here, 99% of the credit goes to the map makers <3

BTW I'll be going through all the missions grabbing some high res screenshots, I'll try and get a bunch tonight at work but that all depends on how late my Boss stays.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Ill be making in-game vids of my missions tonight, which will get uploaded to youtube, but I assume you would like mt o make them available in the original form for you to upload to moddb..?

Also how do I like my moddb profile to the darkmod profile and visa versa,..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Also how do I like my moddb profile to the darkmod profile and visa versa,..?

Two ways: When logged in, you can click on the Dark Mod profile, and click there "Watch this mod" (somewhere below right). Also, you can go to the "Team Dark Mod" profile page, and click "become a member" or "sign up" (I don't know how it is called exactly). Although I am not sure we'd let you into "Team Dark Mod", since it might be a "team members" only group and momentarily I am a bit confused, I think you count "only" as mapper (not that this is a bad thing, mind you :). Somebody else can probably answer this better.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Uhm, who is this and why is he uploading our FMs?

http://www.moddb.com/groups/doom3-modding-group/downloads

uhm, who is this and why is he uploading our FMs?

Uploader: b1k3rdude. Dont see why it's too much of an issue (aside from updates etc), but seems people are using the links which seems ok

I uploaded my missions via my profile over there so that players browsing my moddb blog can d/l direct from moddb.. And on that subject when I look for a catagory to link the files too The Darkmod dosent appear in the list... I could only find doom3 modding. But have just noticed ' team dark mod' now appeares in the list....

@Nborhmore All the other missions should be uploaded btw.

Edited by Bikerdude

Uploader: b1k3rdude

Dont see why it's too much of an issue (aside from updates etc), but seems people are using the links which seems ok :)

Hm, you are right:

http://www.moddb.com/groups/doom3-modding-group/downloads/darkmod-fm-business-as-useal

(Edit: Strange, it seems some people can upload stuff to other groups, so the uploads appear under their "Download" tabs? But Biker couldn't upload to our group, and yet, somebody who is not in our group uploaded back in 2009 a FM mission archive to our group. Mysterious :) End of edit.

The problem I have with that is that the uploads appear in the totally wrong group and not under our label. I'll ask bikerdude to upload them to our mod group and delete them from this one (as it consists of only one person and with no updates since 2008...)

Edit: Ah, biker ninjaed my post :D Biker, I think it was because you where not yet a member of "Team Dark Mod" on moddb, I just accepted you. Could you please try to delete one of these uploads, then upload it again and check that it can now be added to our group? That would be cool, so people don't get confused by this single-man-doom3-fanboy group thingy :)

I can edit Biker's uploads to associate them with The Dark Mod profile. I'm not sure it'll change the "update status" for the mod (it'll probably still say updated such and such ago... but I'll give it a try.)

(Edit: I have found out the hard way that editing an upload requires you to re-upload... sorry Biker)

I think those Hexen Mod folk create a redundant "News" item for everything else they update on their profile. That's a little crass for really small changes though... <_< (other mods are as bad or worse though).

@ungoliant: Thanks! I'm glad to be proven wrong and see that folks are actually reading rather than just ogling pretty pics and downloads (now I've really got to watch my grammar). ;)

2ND EDIT:

Now the download is where it belongs... ? (weird)

Edited by nbohr1more

@ungoliant: Thanks! I'm glad to be proven wrong and see that folks are actually reading rather than just ogling pretty pics and downloads (now I've really got to watch my grammar). ;)

If you go to the stats page, and enable all "compare to" buttons, you will see that the visitors numbers indeed track the most-viewed-images best. So it seems, people are indeed just oogling pictures :D (Sorry, nbohr1more, your articles aren't read :D Anyway, keep them coming nonetheless)

Edit: It might be that just every visit for a download/article etc automatically views the image associated with it, so you automatically get "image views" at least as high as articles/visitors etc.

ninja'd.... :laugh:

no need to delete, I just changed the category at the bottom on each file and saved etc...!

[update] just changed the type to 'single player map' and now my maps appear under addons...

:wacko:

Actual, I think this is ok, the "normal" downloads are the mod and patches itself, the FMs are under addons. Doesn't really matter as long as it is associated with our mod :)

If you go to the stats page, and enable all "compare to" buttons, you will see that the visitors numbers indeed track the most-viewed-images best. So it seems, people are indeed just oogling pictures :D (Sorry, nbohr1more, your articles aren't read :D Anyway, keep them coming nonetheless)

Edit: It might be that just every visit for a download/article etc automatically views the image associated with it, so you automatically get "image views" at least as high as articles/visitors etc.

I know... I was just fooling myself :laugh: ...

It's karma though because I can't tell you how many times I've visited a mod profile and started to read the news then thought "Wow, this is pretty crappy. I don't care of about these zombie shooting protagonists' back stories nor do I care that they have increase the ammo strength for guns x, y, and z... Time to look at pictures"

@lowenz ... Thanks! I have an idea about how these should be added that'll be the most effective... :ph34r:

Now that I think of it, there are probably a bunch of poor employees like myself who browse Moddb at work but can't see youtube because their workplace filter is smart enough to know about youtube but not Moddb...

I think the files would be better because we can then reach the youtube restricted audience (those lazy bastards :laugh: ).

It's my running joke.

Winter had stated that he was going to have his vertical contest map done in September. I have not seen him at the forums since then so his mostly finished map is in question. If he is expanding the project then that's great but I have been doing a little gentle teasing in the hopes that he would offer any news of his progress.

I'm sure we'd all understand if the news is "I've been too busy and haven't touched the map since August" but it would be nice to know one way or the other (or just have him visit the forums again). :)