Photo

FM: Flakebridge Monastery by Jesps

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

Poll: FM: Flakebridge Monastery by Jesps (83 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Voted Poor (1 votes [1.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.20%

2. Tolerable (2 votes [2.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

3. Good (22 votes [26.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.51%

4. Excellent (41 votes [49.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 49.40%

5. Near Perfect (17 votes [20.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.48%

Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

1. Voted Poor (1 votes [1.20%] - View)

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.20%] - View)

3. Good (17 votes [20.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.48%

4. Excellent (46 votes [55.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.42%

5. Near Perfect (18 votes [21.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.69%

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

1. Voted Poor (2 votes [2.41%] - View)

2. Tolerable (2 votes [2.41%] - View)

3. Good (26 votes [31.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.33%

4. Excellent (38 votes [45.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.78%

5. Near Perfect (15 votes [18.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6222 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

Thiefette, I had that same problem towards the end of my adventures as well; I sent Jesps a save and he had nonesuch so we determined it must have something to do with my nVidia 8800... do you have similar?

Also, I could spin around and find a sweet spot/direction/POV to bring the world to light again; did you experience that?

I have gotten this, but I use SLi with a 260M GTX but that card is based on the G92b (9800 series desktop parts)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#52 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3217 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

So I finally got a chance to play this one. You've done great work! I hope you don't mind a detailed review. The lighting was fabulous in many places and you built a level that feels very realistic. Maybe a bit too realistic, because it lacks a little in texture variety in some parts and some spaces might be a little too empty. But considering what you pulled of gameplay wise, this is really just a negligible detail. You just seem to have a knack for placing lights in a way that makes sneaking (and climbing) very interesting. I played on expert and this was the first map that actually forced me to use nearly all my available tools, including the maps. At first I started randomly running around, but then it got confusing and I started to closely follow the map in order to clean out the monastery systematically. Some of the loot items are pretty well hidden, that was really cool! The atmosphere was very sweet too, mainly due to soundtrack, scenario and difficulty. Using those sounds made it scary sometimes and I even had a shock moment... :) There is one thing though, that would have made this mission even more interesting. If the story had been a little deeper and more connected, it would have been the perfect FM in my eyes. I was kind of hoping for a turning point towards the end or some cool scripted event
Spoiler

After more than 3 hours of solid gameplay I had finally finished the mission with 7579 loot out of 7899. Man, what an experience. Thank you Jesps! It's really hard for me to decide on my vote right now. Let's say Gameplay 5*, Appearance 4.5*, Story 3.5*. But of course I'll round those up! ;)

Spoiler

Here is a screenshot of my favorite lighting-moment in the mission. It felt so realistic and dynamic.
Spoiler

Edit: By the way, I have also a nVidia 8800 GTS and had no problems with the screen turning black.

#53 Diego

Diego

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:31 PM

Excellent mission in all aspects :) Very well balanced! The map was actually useful for this mission.
Spoiler

#54 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:18 AM

Thiefette, I had that same problem towards the end of my adventures as well; I sent Jesps a save and he had nonesuch so we determined it must have something to do with my nVidia 8800... do you have similar?

Also, I could spin around and find a sweet spot/direction/POV to bring the world to light again; did you experience that?

I have a nVidia 9800 GX2 and yes I just had to "do a little dance" to find the sweet spot and turn the lights on again.

Spoiler

#55 snobel

snobel

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:55 AM

Very enjoyable mission, this! I especially liked...
Spoiler

Also,
Spoiler

#56 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

This is good stuff , finding loot fiendishly hard to find on the high end to complete my total haul . But can I ask a question?
Spoiler

#57 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3217 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

Yes, the mines are due for tweaking. There is already an internal discussion about them. They only go off when the enemy actually touches it, but there has been a suggestion (among others) to make them proximity triggered. There won't be any changes to them in 1.03 however, sorry.

#58 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6222 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

Yes, the mines are due for tweaking. There is already an internal discussion about them. They only go off when the enemy actually touches it, but there has been a suggestion (among others) to make them proximity triggered. There won't be any changes to them in 1.03 however, sorry.

I was thinking about this also, in Thief they were prox mines, but how does that work really? I think that most players would expect them to be proximity mines (me included)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#59 fraten

fraten

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

Finally finished it. Wow, this map is huge. A bit too big actually. Not only did I get lost some times, but also got bored from running along loooong corridors. :wacko:
That is why I think it's only tolerable on that part. Still everything else is fine! There were some nice details in the rooms and
Spoiler
I don't like the Undead. I really hoped to meet some courageous Builders somewhere in the mission to help me :P It would have fitted the story, I guess. But even without those, the story was great and coherent.

So to sum it up: Great Job and Thank You! :wub:

#60 Mr Mike

Mr Mike

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

Surprised this thread is only 3 pages long but here's my thoughts...

First up; Thank you Jesps. This mission was an absolute joy to play through and I can only imagine the work that went into it. Not to belittle the attempts of previous mappers but Flakebridge Monastery was the first time I truly felt like I was in a tangible universe and TDM was somehow gelling together in a cohesive way that I'd not felt before.

Lighting was definitely one thing you nailed. I'm so disappointed when a mission has an ambient lighting that is too bright or noticeable, especially on the LCD screen I use, that it makes everything seem washed out. But, with FM, you really seemed to have captured how Thief 2 felt on my old CRT and it helped me enjoy this mission so much more. Of course, a lower ambient level requires more effort in placing light sources and this was completed with a great touch too - do I need to mention THAT stairwell?

Sound and AI placement was also on a similar level and it kept the tension high for me the whole way through playing.

My only slight complaints would be; The cracked plaster/stucco walls of the upper quarters became quite repetitive and could maybe benefit from being broken up with different textures or furniture. The other would be the looping sample used in the starting area. The start of every loop has what must be a very bassy noise, or the sound is clipping. It causes a moment of cracking in my headphones and I'm forced to turn the volume down almost entirely until I leave that section. The isn't FM specific as the sound is used on other FM's, such as BikerDudes Cathedral (the last one).

Other than that, superb work though. Think I'll go and have another play through tonight :ph34r:

#61 Jesps

Jesps

FM Creator

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:13 AM

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been well lately.

@Thiefette
Spoiler
Dammit, I thought that had been fixed.

the world went black when I opened the door - only able to see lit torches (I remember this happened in one other mission)

Do you remember what mission that was in? Or under what general conditions it was under?

@STiFU
Spoiler

Spoiler

@Diego
Spoiler

It is
Spoiler

@fraten
Spoiler

Spoiler

@Mr Mike

Surprised this thread is only 3 pages long

Huh, on my computer it is only 2 pages Posted Image

@everyone. Thanks for the replies, comments, and votes.

#62 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:05 AM

Good job jesps =) bashing up Heretics is fun XD I only wish i had thought to use the fire arrows...
Posted Image

#63 Summer

Summer

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:14 AM

I've been a Jesps fan ever since first playing Pandora's Box. Xmas holidays prevented me from finishing this one in one go. Thanks, Jesps, for another entertaining mission!

Voted excellent across the board. Here are some observations:

Spoiler

Good job, Jesps! Posted Image I await for more missions by you!

#64 Aprilsister

Aprilsister

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:44 AM

I agree with all of your praise there, Summer. I think this mission should be mined for screenshots if any of the various TDM sites need some excellent screenshots.

Spoiler

I wish there were more FM authors working in TDM, but I gotta say the best ones appear to have caught on... which makes perfect sense.

#65 i30817

i30817

• PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:32 AM

Lady Rowena is still the best :wub:

#66 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16705 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

But she's a blackjack fan so I suspect is a bit put-off Dark Mod. Let's hope one day she'll join us.

#67 Aprilsister

Aprilsister

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

I'm not making up what I said in the "Player Tip O Da Day" re:blackjacking -- if you smack 'em at the base of the neck they slump like a sack of cold potatoes. I've always been an archer at heart, but, I swear I have never had so much fun with the blackjack as I do now in TDM. I repeat, I am not making this up. It works beautifully and realistically. It's not hard, or inconsistent; it is fun! I repeat one more time, this is one of the many IMPROVEMENTS that TDM has to offer.

I am still an archer at heart, but now I only have to use my precious water arrows, as I am most wont to do anyhow (except I do still like to plug the twits (aristocrats) and mercs {police, guards, hammers and other class-betraying scum} in the spaces betwixt the skull and the skull)...

I can now more easily leave those of my choosing with the gift of slumber and continued life...

I repeat one last time here: the blackjack has never been, worked or felt better.

#68 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3217 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:20 AM

Spoiler

#69 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37455 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Finally got around to playing this. I had an interesting experience, because the first time I played, I managed to get into the cathedral quickly without reading a single readable. I had no idea what was going on and felt a bit put off by the mission.

Then, my saved game crashed (I think I did a SVN update) so I had to start again. This time I went a different route, and I enjoyed it MUCH more the second time, as the story slowly unfolded.

Spoiler

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#70 Cobra007

Cobra007

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

Great mission. I enjoyed it thorougly and there were some awesome looking places like the cathedral and the stairs of the Barracks/Rooms. Also, the ambient music was nice and helped add a good atmosphere to the game, and I kind of see that you applied some of the same gameplay from the craddle from TDS (The first half was empty from any enemies and I kept expecting that around the corner something would jump at me).

The problems I had were these:
Spoiler
Overall, I enjoyed the map and it was fun finding the loot in hard to get places. I finished the map with over 5000 loot :laugh:

#71 pusianka

pusianka

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:34 AM

If there is a list of Jesps's Fans, THEN SIGN ME IN! I just wish to have in your missions one more thing. CONVERSATIONS!

Edited by pusianka, 16 April 2011 - 07:35 AM.

#72 Glyph Seeker

Glyph Seeker

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Jesps I absolutely LOVE your missions. This is actually the first level I tried loading after playing the tutorial - I got scared off pretty quickly and decided that as a RTTC kind of level I would "save" it for later when I got the hang of things and could appreciate it properly.

Finally got back to it - completed it with all objectives inc. optionals done, about 6000 loot found, can't believe I still missed some but guess I could go back to ransack every corner. =-P

5/5 across the board, votewise.

Spoiler

"No proposition Euclid wrote,
No formulae the text-books know,
Will turn the bullet from your coat,
Or ward the tulwar's
downward blow
Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—
The odds are on the cheaper man.
"

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

#73 Jesps

Jesps

FM Creator

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the review Glyph Seeker, I'm glad you like it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#74 Glyph Seeker

Glyph Seeker

• PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

Ah! Thanks Jesps, must be something I completely missed as I found no such thing...

Oh! One thing which seems simple but a lot of maps don't have and it really annoys me: A map! Without the map and compass I would have felt lost in a bad way. It's the first map where I've really felt that my survival relied on knowing where I was and where to go. Very cool!
"No proposition Euclid wrote,
No formulae the text-books know,
Will turn the bullet from your coat,
Or ward the tulwar's
downward blow
Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—
The odds are on the cheaper man.
"

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

#75 plotzzz

plotzzz

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

Thanks Jesps for this great mission. Huge map, great story, very close to the original Thief serie. Making it a bit smaller would have been perfect (lots of run in empty places).
One question though: at the beginning of the mission, I
Spoiler
. What was it supposed to do ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users