http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySpAh-pVXDc

Settings I used in the autoexec.cfg file

seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_aspectRatio "0" [i]- means ignored[/i]
seta r_customWidth "5040"
seta r_customHeight "1050"
set com_videoram "2048"
seta r_fovRatio "4.91"

[update] I can now also confirm it working on nV surround as well.

Edited by Bikerdude

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a feature of the way game cameras work, until game devs code games to reduce the fisheye effect that only thing we can do is reduce the fov to below 75, but in some games that screws up the hud etc.. But that said I now notice the aspect ration is wrong..

Edited by Bikerdude

I'll have to make some noise about this at Rage3d (unless you wanna post there Biker). That should help stir up some vendor interest in the mapping contest :wub:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

D3 only supports the following aspect ratios 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 when using .cfg files. To get the game to display correctly I need an edited gamex86.dll, but everyone I have found on the wsgf forum dosent work or causes doom3 to crash to desktop. What would be helpfull is if one of you coders to have a look t doing this..?

D3 only supports the following aspect ratios 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 when using .cfg files.

Oh yeah, I knew there was something I was missing. Of course only those three ratios are available in the console.

To get the game to display correctly I need an edited gamex86.dll, but everyone I have found on the wsgf forum dosent work or causes doom3 to crash to desktop. What would be helpfull is if one of you coders to have a look t doing this..?

I wouldn't have a clue how to do this myself, but maybe one of the assembler-savvy programmers (stgatilov et al.) could help.

Oh yeah, I knew there was something I was missing. Of course only those three ratios are available in the console.

I wouldn't have a clue how to do this myself, but maybe one of the assembler-savvy programmers (stgatilov et al.) could help.

We have this in the code:

switch( r_aspectRatio.GetInteger() ) {
   default :
   case 0 :
       // 4:3
       fov_x = base_fov;
       return;
       break;

case 1 :
       // 16:9
       ratio_x = 16.0f;
       ratio_y = 9.0f;
       break;

case 2 :
       // 16:10
       ratio_x = 16.0f;
       ratio_y = 10.0f;
       break;
   }

I wonder if it would be enough to add 16:3 or something to the list there? However, it just seems to calculate a FOW value from these.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Pretty slick. Now all you have to do is eliminate the gaps between the monitors. :) I'm surprised they don't make LCDs specially designed for this, with minimal space on the sides. Then again, flexible displays are in the works. You could just bend one of those all around you.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Running a game in 5:1 aspect ratio is not a good idea I think. You'll have small vertical FOV and close to 180 degrees horizontal FOV which will be stretched a lot on the sides (I think it's the fisheye effect mentioned). Maybe it's better to stop on the vertical monitor orientation case?

I think the aspect ratio restriction can be deleted (with hacking or not). Do you want it so badly :huh: ?

There is another cool idea with three horizontal monitors. The screen surface can be bent around you - you can actually SEE your monitors in FOV more than 180 degrees this way. Moreover, if you find another 20-30 monitors you can surround yourself with them :laugh:. Imagine that you need only to turn your head back to see if there is a guard there :D It is much easier to buy VR googles though...

By the way, do you like the idea of running TDM with 300 x 60 FOV degrees? I think it can be achieved, but with high cost. The SDK code can be fixed to render three views (separate view for each monitor). The hacky part is to redirect output to separate monitors. Maybe it can be done by setting separate viewports for them.

They do have monitors like that, in both small bezel single(expensive), and combination monitors (3 frameless screens inside 1 large frame (even more expensive)). Like Biker said, after a while you don't notice the bezels, pity about the fisheye though, agreed there. Heres one of my favourite videos for showing off Eyefinity

http://www.youtube.c...x0m31q4xLw&NR=1

This is 3x 3in1 screens, for a MASSIVE wraparound effect.

When running TDM in my 4320x900 setup, I usually use fov 110, so guards don't look so horribly overweight :laugh:

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Wake me up when you got to this stage:

:D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I wonder if it would be enough to add 16:3 or something to the list there? However, it just seems to calculate a FOW value from these.

The best approach would be to have a cvar that works without hardcoded stuff like that, e.g. if you pass 1.5, it will automatically set the aspect ratio to 3:2.

There is another cool idea with three horizontal monitors. The screen surface can be bent around you - you can actually SEE your monitors in FOV more than 180 degrees this way. Moreover, if you find another 20-30 monitors you can surround yourself with them :laugh:. Imagine that you need only to turn your head back to see if there is a guard there :D It is much easier to buy VR googles though...

By the way, do you like the idea of running TDM with 300 x 60 FOV degrees? I think it can be achieved, but with high cost. The SDK code can be fixed to render three views (separate view for each monitor). The hacky part is to redirect output to separate monitors. Maybe it can be done by setting separate viewports for them.

That sounds very cool. But in Bikerdude's setup, the driver is responsible for issuing the image data (as a sequence of huge oversized frames) to the three monitors and I bet you cannot access them separately anymore. I guess you would have to do a viewport transformation so that the rendered image looks like one of those 180 degree panorama images. In this case, you'd need a bent display (like those shown before) though for perfectly accurate results.

That sounds very cool. But in Bikerdude's setup, the driver is responsible for issuing the image data (as a sequence of huge oversized frames) to the three monitors and I bet you cannot access them separately anymore. I guess you would have to do a viewport transformation so that the rendered image looks like one of those 180 degree panorama images. In this case, you'd need a bent display (like those shown before) though for perfectly accurate results.

Yeah, setting viewports to 1/3 of framebuffer for each shot is what I meant.

Perfectly accurate results? :laugh: Do you mean that monitors look like a window to parallel TDM-world? Complete angular equivalence?...

I've seen panorama pictures on flat monitor. They are far from accurate, but very cool :wacko:. It is not necessary to be completely accurate to get cool results.

I think Bikerdude should say the final word like "yes, that's interesting" or "no, it's not worth efforts" about the triple-view rendering discussed here. By the way, can you get aspect ratio 5:1 in windowed mode?