The Dark Mod Forums

Hardware Requirement?

tnl

When you look at the left top corner you will get a framerate of 23.1532 while when looking at the bottom right corner you will get a framerate of 45.7392, so the recommended playstyle is to strafe all the time while looking at the bottom right corner of the screen to opimize framerate.

Seriously. What kind of question is that? How should we know what framerate you will get. The system specs are obviously the ones for Doom 3 and since we are right at the beginning, how should we be able to determine a reasonable framerate for any given system at this point in time.

We have some developers with much worse machine than yours and so far there are no complaints, but of course there is not much in there yet what could cause any significant hit on the framerate. A reasonable estimation can be done at the earliest when the lightgem is working in a fully feature map including sound propagation and AI interaction, because these are the things that will affect the framerate the most.

Gerhard

I have 2.4 gig real p4 not celeron, 512 mb ram,

radeon 9600xt .

This is enough and with how many framerate??

Should be fine for low or medium detail settings, IMO. I have a Radeon 9800 and AMD 64 3000+, so I'm going for high detail most of the time.

You'll probably need to run in 800x600 though.

The mod is well over a year away from total completion...I'm sure you'll upgrade between now and then.

I guess I can help you answer that question tnl. I got a AMD Athlon 2600+ with ATI Radeon 9600XT with 512MB DDR-400 (but running as 333) RAM and in one of our test maps (one that eats framerate a bit) I get around (the lowest) 30FPS. But my cpu is slightly overclocked to 2200 (real MHz, normally is 1980).

Hope that helps, but as Spar said, it's only the beginning of the mod and so it can't be judged just yet ;) .

--Dram

Thanks your answers!

Looks like darkmod not slower several times than

origonal doom3.

True?

This fantastic!

I remember thievery mod for UT much slower than

original UT.

I hope i can play with darkmod!

I waiting this mod, i hate dromed, and not realy like Thief3

Keep in mind that we still haven't done a fullsized mission yet, so we're not totally sure what the ram requirements might be just yet.

Since we're going with more detail and higher res textures, I expect it'll eat up a bit more ram than vanilla Doom 3 did. And as it is, D3 is a pretty ram hungry program.

Also there is a difference in AI handling in Darkmod. D3 can be faster because it doesn't need the Ai to be very realistic. It switches it of when it can not be seen or used. With the darkmod there are different requirements, which might cause a bigger performance hit.

Gerhard

Okay, the darkmod released later, possible

time upgrade machines.

Unfortunately in thief games how ai-s still need

present all times. Another, especialy action

games possibe spawning ai-s when need.

(playes go into one point , player kill ai-es

go another pont, spawn ai, kill ai .... etc)

Edited by tnl