The Dark Mod Forums

Can't draw weapons or fob objects properly

Trunks0

Occasionally I've been loosing my ability to draw my weapons or properly fob objects. The animation for a weapon will play, but then I can't see it or use it after. When this occurs, I also loose my ability to hold, move or rotate objects. I can still technically fob them, but they just sorta bounce away. The lighter the object more violently it will bounce away.

The only fix I have found is loading a save point before it happened or restarting the mission.

TDM 1.04

Win7 64-bit

Doom3 all updated, no expansion packs or other mods installed.

GFX: Crossfired 5770's using cat 11.2

Any help on preventing this from happening, or reversing it, would be greatly appreciated :)

p.s. Sorry if this has already been brought up. Couldn't find anything upon searching

Edited by Trunks0

-Trunks0

Asus Maximus Formula(X38) - Intel Core2Quad 8400 @ 3.2Ghz - 4Gb PC2-6400 OCZ Gold XTC/Corsair XMS2(@800mhz) -

16X8X16 DL 8X Pioneer DVR-111D DL DVD±RW - 320GB HD(Seagate 7200.10) - 640Gb Westerm Digital w/16Mb Cache -

2 x Crossfired PowerColor Radeon HD 5770's - Audigy2 - Windows 7 64

I've heard of this happening on Beleaguered Fence, is this by chance the mission you are playing? Can you try keep a look out for what you're doing before it happens or even what maps/areas it happens in - That'd help greatly with investigating it :)

Has happened to me on Flakebridge Monastery and St Albans Cathedral thus far. I'll see if I can notice exactly was happens when it brakes.

is Catalyst Ai turned on or off in the control panel..?

As of Catalyst 11.2, the option to disable Catalst Ai is no longer present :\. So it was enabled.

Edited by Trunks0

-Trunks0

Asus Maximus Formula(X38) - Intel Core2Quad 8400 @ 3.2Ghz - 4Gb PC2-6400 OCZ Gold XTC/Corsair XMS2(@800mhz) -

16X8X16 DL 8X Pioneer DVR-111D DL DVD±RW - 320GB HD(Seagate 7200.10) - 640Gb Westerm Digital w/16Mb Cache -

Have you tried editing the XML (in Safemode) as I posted in the Wiki article:

## If it is you could still change it by editing your profiles.xml found at "\Users\'YourUserName'\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles.xml"

## Under the heading <Aspect name="Radeon3D"> needs to be an entry :-

## Code:

<Feature name="CatalystAI">

<Property name="CatalystAI" value="Disable" />

</Feature>

:unsure:

Other than this, some folk are suggesting removing CCC and using ATI Tray Tool :unsure:

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Actually, looking at the symptom we might be seeing a problem related to Crossfire AFR rendering :unsure:

Does the situation improve if you disable Crossfire (presuming you force-enabled it)?

And to rule out that this is perhaps a Catalyst witch-hunt, have you tried re-downloading the affected missions or dmap-ing them?

Have you tried editing the XML (in Safemode) as I posted in the Wiki article:

## If it is you could still change it by editing your profiles.xml found at "\Users\'YourUserName' \AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\ Profiles.xml"

## Under the heading <Aspect name="Radeon3D"> needs to be an entry :-

## Code:

<Feature name="CatalystAI">

<Property name="CatalystAI" value="Disable" />

</Feature>

:unsure:

Other than this, some folk are suggesting removing CCC and using ATI Tray Tool :unsure:

Yup, caused Dark Mod to crash upon start up.

Actually, looking at the symptom we might be seeing a problem related to Crossfire AFR rendering :unsure:

Does the situation improve if you disable Crossfire (presuming you force-enabled it)?

And to rule out that this is perhaps a Catalyst witch-hunt, have you tried re-downloading the affected missions or dmap-ing them?

I'll try disabling crossfire and see if issue crops up.

"dmap-ing"???? I've tried un-installing and re-installing the missions. But nothing changed.

I could upload an individual save that has the problem from Flakebridge. It is only 2.4mb when compressed into a rar.

Edited by Trunks0

-Trunks0

The save will be good to have.

To dmap:

1) Leave the affected mission installed

2) Copy the mission.pk4 from your FMS directory elsewhere (Desktop) and rename it to mission.zip

3) Extract the file and you should see a mission.map file in there

4) Create a maps sub-folder in the mission folder under Doom 3 (example C:Program Files\Doom 3\Flakebridge\maps)

5) Launch "The Dark Mod" then open the console "CTRL+ALT+~"

6) Type: dmap mission.map (example dmap flakebridge.map)

7) Once this has completed, new files will appear in your new maps sub-folder

8) Copy these files to the extracted Pk4 and over-write the old versions where they exist

9) Zip the contents of the extracted pk4 then give it the same name as the original.

10) Replace the Pk4 in the mission install folder with the new one (Example C:\Flake\Doom 3\Flakebridge\Flakebridge.pk4 )

( Note: For St Alban's Cathedral Bikerdude had to apply a 4GB patch/hack to the Doom 3 executable to dmap it because the dmap ballooned to over 700MB... some inherent Doom 3 limit apparently...)

4GB Patch "NTCore" http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Edited by nbohr1more

I have no idea what you're trying to do with this stuff, I really doubt it's got to do with graphics drivers or recompiling the maps :/

The only thing the CatAI thing is problematic with is anything which uses cubemaps or render-to-texture(tho this is less of a problem), since on older cards CatAI toggles the "Surface Format Optimizations", which does not understand that doom3 is opengl since the internal stuff is all API agnostic now, is ends up making a direct3d style cubemap, which is differently oriented but otherwise valid.

Do you have any other doom3 mods installed? or an old install of doom3? (i.e it's been lying around for ages, installed)

Do you have any software which might be grabbing keystrokes? this includes remote desktop apps, media players with default configs etc

What keys are you using for frob? Can you change weapons directly by pressing the number keys?

I was thinking that Catalyst AI might be doing something akin to nvidia's "Threaded Optimizations" (forcing multicore usage...) with the later releases but I just figured the other problems were worth eliminating if possible.

The Dmap would affect collision, thus physics, no?

Though I've never heard of CM going "out of date" like AAS, so that was a long-shot.

I have no idea what you're trying to do with this stuff, I really doubt it's got to do with graphics drivers or recompiling the maps :/

The only thing the CatAI thing is problematic with is anything which uses cubemaps or render-to-texture(tho this is less of a problem), since on older cards CatAI toggles the "Surface Format Optimizations", which does not understand that doom3 is opengl since the internal stuff is all API agnostic now, is ends up making a direct3d style cubemap, which is differently oriented but otherwise valid.

Do you have any other doom3 mods installed? or an old install of doom3? (i.e it's been lying around for ages, installed)

Do you have any software which might be grabbing keystrokes? this includes remote desktop apps, media players with default configs etc

What keys are you using for frob? Can you change weapons directly by pressing the number keys?

The Doom3 install is fresh. It's installed just for playing The Dark Mod. So there is nothing else installed for it.

I'm using mouse3 for frob and I can select the weapons directly through the number keys(or scroll wheel). I hear the weapon coming out and see the icon in the corner for it . But I can't see the weapons after and I can't shoot/swing/attack with them.

A save file with the problem can be downloaded below.

http://www.gamefront...ebridgesave.rar

Rar password: soccer

p.s. Disabiling Catalyst through Radeon Pro allowed the game to load without crashing *shrug*. However this didn't change anything. On an un-related note, it also did not fix the problems related to ATi hardward and Post-Processing either :\

Edited by Trunks0

-Trunks0

... so anything? Does the save work? Does the save exhibit the problem?

-Trunks0