Fan Mission Reviews, walkthroughs

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#151 The Dark One

The Dark One

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:41 AM

This is long overdue. Very, very overdue. Apologies to Airship Ballet, the author of this campaign.

Quinn Co. is split into two missions, La Banque Bienveillante and Chase Mercantile, but since they’re similar in concept I’ll review them both at once. The summer solstice has arrived, and our hero is intent on robbing some of the local banks, which are storing goods from merchant ships.

These are some of the more unique missions I’ve played on The Dark Mod. When you start up, you see the normal screen for buying weapons, but it’s different. Now you’re not buying equipment, but instead you’re buying equipment drops, keys, different loot drop-off points….Heck, you can even choose your own objectives here! The author stated that the missions were modeled after the Payday series, and this choice of “loadout” gives the missions replayability.

La Banque is the opening act and does a good job. It’s linear, admittedly, but an absolute blast to play through, with neat touches in the technology on display, such as a very neat bit of food storage in the basement. Chase Mercantile is much more balanced, and once the player gets out of the opening basement they can more or less hit the rest of the bank in any order they choose. Both missions can be considered rather easy for Dark Mod missions, due to the fact that you have no loot goal and thus can technically just do the needed objectives and finish the missions, but they do have a way of discouraging knock-outs: A penalty system.

Not-Garratt has hired cleaners to fix his “mistakes” and that involves bribing guards and hiding bodies: 500 loot for knock-outs, 1000 for deaths. While this doesn't sound like much, it adds up quick, though in fairness each mission is loaded with enough loot for ten thieves, so even the blackjack lovers will be able to get through. In La Banque, however, there are guards you more or less have to blackjack to get past, which is thankfully fixed (from what I could tell) in Mercantile. This penalty system doesn’t just affect completionists, since the loot from La Banque is used to purchase equipment in the sequel.

The missions are both very fun to play, mainly due to the constant gratification you get from all the loot. I ended my second La Banque playthrough with somewhere in the 20,000 range, and Mercantile has even more loot that it’s predecessor. Both missions have creative uses of technology, especially in the vaults, which are loaded down with security systems that you have to maneuver your way around. There’s a fair bit of characterization in the missions as well, shown by the readables. I actually ended up feeling bad enough for my “victim” in Mercantile that I left his own personal vault (mostly, man’s gotta make a living) untouched.

Still, the missions aren’t perfect. La Banque all but forces you to knock out certain guard to progress, and the linear nature of the mission might annoy. Mercantile also has a very irritatingly placed guard right before the vault, who can’t be knocked out (unless you’ve bought gas arrows, but the drop still forces you to run for it and then snipe quickly) and you haven’t arranged for him to be bribed from his post you’ll run into a sudden roadblock.

This leads into my other main gripe: While the loadout makes for good replay value, it also leads into going into the mission without the proper equipment, which could make the mission tedious, see: the alternate loot drop in La Banque, which is vital if you don’t want to make like ten trips back and forth. Mercantile is also a pain if you don’t think to/can’t afford to bribe the guards, and not having certain keys makes the mission trickier than normal. I fully understand that this is the point (and I’m sure most here will like that), but I find it a tad irritating that you can sabotage yourself without knowing about it.

All in all, my complaints are relatively minor. My only big complaints are that there isn’t a third mission, and that I wish it was possible to replay Mercantile without having to beat its predecessor. Obviously, recommended.

• Moonbo and Anderson like this

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

#152 The Dark One

The Dark One

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:31 PM

That pun is bad and the author should feel bad for making it.

Inn Business (by RJFerret) is another atypical ission. This time, our plucky protagonist is hired to do a bit inn-based sabotage. The owner of an inn has hired him to sabotage a competitor by breaking in one night, robbing it, then coming back the next after security has been beefed up to rob it again, making people feel unsafe, so they’ll come to second guy’s inn. It’s genius, really.

The mission feels very “lived-in” if that makes sense. The weather shifts over the course of the three days, going from dry pavement to snow everywhere. The guests and other NPCs do not remain static over the course of the three days (special mention goes to a mage who’s constantly coming up with new ways to mess with you), and little touches, such as dogs barking when you approach the church door, help to improve the atmosphere.

Where the mission falls flat is in the loot goals. The numbers are apparently off, resulting in frustration for looters who want everything in a level. Also resulting in frustration for us underachieving plebs is the fact that loot is well-hidden, with some of it assuming the form of objects that aren’t normally loot in ordinary missions, which is most obvious. on the second night which suffers from a low amount of total loot. Said second night also has a unique security system in the form of sound detecting robot which, on my second playthrough at least, was incredibly sensitive, somehow able to tell that a footstep on the first floor was worthy of sounding the alarm.

The third night changes the rules a bit, as Not-Garrett is summoned by his victim to point out security flaws remaining in the inn. It’s an interesting idea, but it does feel a little tacked-on, as well as flawed. You can “complete” the objectives, but if the warning note isn’t left in the perfect position, it will be unchecked without warning. The end result is an interesting idea that needed a little more coherence.

And yet, the mission is fun. There are multiple hidden objectives to be found, although they require a fair bit of exploration to find. The mission has plenty of amusing (and it must be said, adult) moments, and the signs of an author who had fun piecing the whole thing together show through. It’s a flawed effort in places, but a very interesting and unique one. Recommended.

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

#153 The Dark One

The Dark One

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

Back on target now…

So, I’m not 100% sure who made this mission. The mission select screen says Silencium18, but the mission page on the Dark Mod website adds in Fidcal and Railgun, so eh.

The Thieves is a simple and to the point mission. A member of a thieves guild has gone rogue and is harassing merchants and being a general nuisance, thus forcing our enterprising hero to kill him for the reward money.

Another review I read implied that this was another early/test mission, and it shows in the general bareness of the level, as well as certain quirks, such as a key that doesn’t go with anything and a gang leader who oddly doesn’t seem to notice you banging about in his room unless you hit him. There are still out-of-way pieces of loot to uncover, and two different ways into The Thieves’(™) hideout, but other than that, the mission is quite basic.

All in all I find this hard to rec on it’s own merits. It’s fun, but a little too simple to veteran players, and without much to set it apart from something like Awaiting the Storm.

#154 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7651 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

Yes, this was an early TDM mission which was created as a collaborative effort. I think it was done to be close to the TDM 1.0 release.

• Anderson and The Dark One like this
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#155 The Dark One

The Dark One

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

Trapped! By Railgun is a short prison break mission. Our fair-play loving hero is hired to infiltrate a hideout of a gang of thieves, but he bungles the job and gets himself knocked out. Now, he must escape, which is pretty easy considering how shoddy the construction is.

The mission is more stealth focused, as your equipment is hidden deeper in the hideout. You can find some arrows early on (and in my case resulted in a first playthrough with lots of bodies), but your blackjack is only found near the end. The mission looks good, giving the impression of being some long abandoned building turned into a makeshift hideout. The loot goal is fair, with most being in plain sight.

All in all, a solid, if short mission. Recommended.

#156 The Dark One

The Dark One

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:28 PM

This mission was made by Railgun, but Springheel did the story. He did a dang fine job of it too.

The Builder’s Influence moves the action to the city of Breaden, where our hero is hiding from the law and assisting a group of smugglers. Sadly, the Inquisition, which no one expected, has come to town and is bringing down the hammer on the local criminal scum, including certain members of City Hall….much to the detriment of the smugglers, as they have a bribed man on the inside who’s been fudging tax records for them, forcing Not-Garrett to slip in and steal them.

Layout wise, it’s quite good, not fancy, but giving off the vibe of a government building. There are a few alternate routes around the place, which is appreciated. The guard presence is heavy, but doable to get around, which good, as the highest difficulty forbids knockouts. The only real trouble spot is a set of offices facing each other in a hallway which require pretty good timing to duck between or out of.

Where the mission shines is in the story: There are quite a few readables lying about to tell you about the progress of the Inquisition and the resulting witch hunt. Personally, all of this was my favorite part of the mission, not only interesting  but giving you tips to proceed on in the mission. Though I do question the wisdom of leaving such incriminating notes on one’s desk.

All in all, a solid mission with good storytelling. Recommended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users