The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Return to the City v2 (01/03/2011)

Bikerdude

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you get to the City Guard that is patrolling high on the wall above the builder compound?

Hee!

You sure can but it's a real pain to get to! And now I'm racking my brain trying to remember how I got there! x-D

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Thanks, Bikerdude.

I had missed a goblet up on another windowsill and the five coins in the potter's cart, which is kinda funny, as I'd thrown all the pottery shards out of that cart and never noticed them.

I really enjoyed this mission quite a lot. I confess I was stumped by the optional objective. I figured it had something to do with the

note in the safe

but I didn't know what to do with it until I found this thread, alas. The city architecture is stunningly good, with so many places to explore. I'm beginning to understand that a mission with Melan's name attached to it will have plenty of vertical opportunities! The place feels like people could really live there, truly alive though in the dead of night. I hope to achieve a similar style, though, again, it's a pretty high bar. I did experience some slowdowns in frame-rate in the open areas of the street, but it was never unplayable. In my effort to find the remaining loot without cheating (haven't used the console in a mission before now), I managed to climb out of the map in two locations. :) I'm rather proud of this one:

The use of sound was very good in this mission, the background music never overwhelming the foreground, something which plagued even some of the original Thief missions, let alone fan missions. AI placement is so well done, I feel like I could have come close to ghosting the thing, though somewhere along the way I decided to be a knockout fiend. The mission taught me I could

hide in a wardrobe

and

fit down inside an open barrel

. Climbing in and out high windows, crawling under floors, clinging by fingernails to building trim high above the street.... yummy stuff! Thanks for putting it together, Melan and Bikerdude.

I managed to climb out of the map in two locations. :) I'm rather proud of this one:

[/ spoiler]

You totally should, since this is a first. Well done! (Post this picture over on TTLG if you have an account :D)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There may be 4 ways of getting into the cloisters :blush: but I can't find any of them.

I seem to have crawled all over the cellars and the roofs including one room with a guard outside but I couldn't find the key and the clock tower where I couldn't open the hatch in the floor and climbed through all the windows I think

A hint please or two please

To get into the compound.

1. through the rear wall door guarded by a builder guard

2. over the above wall.

3. high up, over the wall via the

abandoned section thats leads on from the tower at the beginging of the map

The get into the cloister:

1. through the rear door thats guarded.

2. high up via the attic,

via an open hatch/window.

3. underground via the

abandonded section (same as above) via a hole in the ground at the bottom of the scaffolding.

I think that is where I am stuck

I got into the area where the explosive is via the tunnel and via the attic but I can't get from there into the cloister itself to get the keys etc. I also got there by going past the door which has a note on it advising that it was locked and bolted from the other side

The only high level guarded door and open window I can find are as these pictures - I have linked them from my website to avoid giving too much away

http://www.holtlane....rded%20door.jpg

http://www.holtlane....en%20window.jpg

In the case of the open window there is an unfrobbable hatch in the floor and in the case of the guarded door there is another unfrobbable door inside

Neither of those are essential to completing the level. However, if you are at those locations:

<p>1) at the first, look down.<br></p><p>2) at the second, turn 45 degrees right and keep walking.</p>

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Now I am really baffled

I assume that the attic window and the attic are as these pictures which is where I started from originally but the but what I need is how to get into the area where the keys to the explosive are found which I assume is behind the locked and barred door

http://www.holtlane.plus.com/images/Attic.jpg

http://www.holtlane.plus.com/images/Attic%20Window.jpg

Hint:

There are no keys to the explosives. Everything you need will be found in their room.

Spoiler:

Look for a gap in the bars of the holding cage

• 2 years later...

Omg, I went looking for the keys and thus tried to get into the cloister and chantry as well, lol :D

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

• 5 months later...

This was my first TDM mission that incorporated Thieves Highway gameplay, and that was the highlight for me. The jumping, scaling, etc. with TDM engine is light years beyond the old Thief games, but I had no idea how much it could do until this level. Mind you, I died from falling a fair bit anyway, but they were almost entirely my fault and it didn’t ruin the fun.

I ran into a couple oddly placed guards that seemed stuck in a doorway. One time it hindered my progress, and I was forced to break my self-imposed “no killing” rule to get around him. It was at the doorway that leads to the staircase going down to the torture chamber and/or up to the attic.

Lastly, the instructions on creating the volatile material were vague enough that it stumped me. I thought I was looking for that head priest’s keys to get into something, even after I had removed the rock substance by lifting it out of the padlocked cell (I was like "A rock?! Ok, so what now?" before tossing the rock to the ground). I ended up resorting to a video walkthrough to solve it, only to watch the video run-through (it was a candid play-through, not a tutorial) get stuck on the same part for a long time. So I can’t be the only one that found that part a touch frustrating.

The silver lining is that I unearthed some more loot trying to figure out where the keys were, so it wasn't a total loss.

Still, an enjoyable level, and wonderfully entertaining to explore. Makes me excited to try some other Thieves Highway missions.

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

• 8 months later...