Fan Mission: The Transaction by Sotha (2011/03/04)

150 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission: The Transaction by Sotha (2011/03/04) (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (2 votes [3.08%])

Percentage of vote: 3.08%

3. Good (12 votes [18.46%])

Percentage of vote: 18.46%

4. Excellent (36 votes [55.38%])

Percentage of vote: 55.38%

5. Near Perfect (15 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

3. Good (13 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Excellent (38 votes [58.46%])

Percentage of vote: 58.46%

5. Near Perfect (13 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

3. Good (4 votes [6.15%])

Percentage of vote: 6.15%

4. Excellent (32 votes [49.23%])

Percentage of vote: 49.23%

5. Near Perfect (28 votes [43.08%])

Percentage of vote: 43.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

Posted Image

The Transaction is a small/medium sized map in which aspiring thief Thomas Porter delivers the cryptic book, 'De Vermis Mysteriis' to a bookstore owner named Victor de Grenefeld. It is the fourth mission in the Thomas Porter series, continuing from where The Glenham Tower ended. The mission was created by me, Sotha and I wish to thank BrokenArts, Melan and Ocn for playtesting and Bikerdude, BrokenArts and Ocn for voiceacting. An enormous thanks goes also to the fine people who created TDM and are still working hard, bringing it ever closer to perfection. Thanks also to the community for helping with my mapping efforts. Extra thanks to freesound.org -contributors who make excellent quality sound effects available for free.

Trailer (thanks to ocn!)

Briefing:
Ah, the town of Glenham. I never really thought I would be happy to see its shabby wooden miner dwellings, but after the nightmares of the Glenham Tower I'm happy to see any kind of civilization.

During my return trip from the tower the ghostly mist veil transformed into an intense thunderstorm and heavy rain. My clothes are soaked and I'm dreadfully tired of the harsh tribulations of the past few days.

My task for tonight is simple. All I have to do is to get the strange and incomprehensible book I obtained from the tower, 'De Vermis Mysteriis,' to the bookstore owner Victor de Grenefeld. And more importantly collect the hefty sum the bookstore owner promised to pay me. With that kind of sum I can sit back and relax for a while.

I'd better stay in good terms with my customer and not steal from him. I have the hunch that de Grenefeld is a well connected man so staying on his good side might be beneficial for me in the future: maybe they'll need a skilled adventurer like me and I could turn legitimate. I could earn my keep and I wouldn't need to constantly hide from the city watch.

At any rate, I've got it all planned out for the remainder of the night. I'll visit the bookstore, drop the book to de Grenefeld and collect my fee. After that I'd better hide in the basement of an abandoned building I've spotted near the town north gate and get some well deserved rest.

I don't think the city watch would think a cloaked and armed person like me would be on honorable business in a stormy weather like this so it would be wise to avoid all confrontation with the guards. I do not need any misunderstadings with the city watch right now.

The undead horrors in the Tower forced me to expend most of my tools and I desperately need more equipment if I intend to continue my budding adventuring career. I should get some extra gold for new gear and maybe a few holy water potions just in case. There is a Builder church nearby where I might be able to find some. I suspect those fanatics might have gold hidden there as well..

It is time to move in the town and get the things done quickly. Somehow I have a bad feeling about all this. It's probably nothing, probably I am just jumpy because of the horrors in the Tower and sleep deprivation. Tomorrow I'll sleep long, relax and eat well.

UPDATED LINK:
Use the ingame downloader to get it.

Bikerdude was added in the author, I forgot him. No other chages. Could The Powers That Be make sure that this version ends up in the ingame downloader? Thanks!

Known bugs:
One betatester experienced an error ("ERROR: Failed to spawn player as 'atdm:player_thief'"), which drops the player back to main menu upon map load. If you experience this scenario, please turn EAX off in the options menu. That cleared the problem for the tester.

Warning! There is ALWAYS someone who fails to use spoiler tags appropriately. I recommend you read this thread further only after playing the mission! Avoid spoilers.
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#2 7upMan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

First?
My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

#3 Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Mirror:

http://www.bloodgate...transaction.pk4

Congratulations on the release! I am sure it is a worthy FM!

@Sotha: The PK4 file contains "sound/transaction.sndshd~" (a backup file) which can be deleted from it.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#4 Springheel

Creative Director

• Admin
  • 32,199 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

Wow, didn't expect this yet! I'll be all over this tonight!! :)
Posted Image

#5 Fidcal

Lead Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

All I can say is congrats on this successful release Sotha. I'm going to have delay playing for a while I'm so busy but I'll try to find time tomorrow to mirror it up to fidcal.com and put it on TDM website

#6 Bikerdude

FM Manager, Campaign Dev

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,701 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Bloody awesome, an Fm for me to play that I no clue how it was made...

#7 Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

View PostBikerdude, on 04 March 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

Bloody awesome, an Fm for me to play that I no clue how it was made...

Dammit, Biker, I'm so sorry. I can't believe I forgot you from the voiceacting credits! I'll make a new pk4 tomorrow, now gotta catch some z's.
Clipper

#8 Carnage

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

Great Sotha, looking forward to this part of the Porter series. Will play it tomorrow if I can find the time Posted Image

Edited by Carnage, 04 March 2011 - 06:38 PM.

#9 ungoliant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

grats, sotha. you are a an FM machine! this one will be sure to silence loose tongues about not having new content to play for 1.04 :)

#10 Springheel

Creative Director

• Admin
  • 32,199 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

This isn't available from the updater...did you upload it to the website?
Posted Image

#11 Bikerdude

FM Manager, Campaign Dev

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,701 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

View PostSotha, on 04 March 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

Dammit, Biker, I'm so sorry. I can't believe I forgot you from the voiceacting credits! I'll make a new pk4 tomorrow, now gotta catch some z's.
LOL Sotha, thats not what I meant. I have helped out and tested so many FMs latley thats its nice to be able to play one as just a player.. btw I forgot I actually did some lines for you..
^_^

Edited by Bikerdude, 04 March 2011 - 08:28 PM.

#12 Springheel

Creative Director

• Admin
  • 32,199 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:40 PM

Damn, I've had a bit of a bad start with this one.

Spoiler

Anyway, a tip for the future might be to spawn some monsterclip or something to keep non-actors out of the scene while the player is immobilized. I'm heading back in to see what is actually supposed to happen.
Posted Image

#13 Springheel

Creative Director

• Admin
  • 32,199 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

Huh. I must be missing something obvious here, but I'm not sure what. :mellow:

Spoiler
so what am I missing...?
Posted Image

#14 Aprilsister

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hark!
:D

I'm almost thinking I'm overly hyped (my own fault*) on this and will be expecting too much; it's just that so far every SFM has been great, and each one has had at least some fantastic innovation, and *these innovations are semi-telegraphed (or outright spoken of) by the discussion that goes on in Sotha's FM thread, and Sotha's FM thread has had a lot of various Q&A as prelude to this mission...

#15 nbohr1more

Uber member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

Release article:

http://www.moddb.com...action-released

(As usual, it will likely take a couple of days to be authorized by Moddb.)

:)

Edit:

Also... Wikified! :D

Edited by nbohr1more, 04 March 2011 - 10:25 PM.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#16 ungoliant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

holy crap this mission was great!!!

This one really felt story driven, which I :wub:. Not just having a great story, but being driven by it. Most FM's no matter how beautifully constructed and how well the AI are placed, my primary concern is "where have i not searched yet" and systematically peruse all areas for "stuff".

This FM, i found myself wanting to know "what happens next?!" Wonderfully long readables with both very cool background info, and
Spoiler
. I love that kind of stuff. I've seen a lot of complaints about too much text in TDM/Thief FM's, but I say bring it on! write a damn novel if it makes the FM more interesting!

This will be the first FM that I give Near perfect rating on story/plot. fantastic.

Edited by ungoliant, 04 March 2011 - 11:31 PM.

#17 lost_soul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

Very nice FM. I especially liked the
Spoiler

My only suggestion would have been to have more places in the town be enterable.
--- All quiet now..... Must've been rats.

#18 ungoliant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

View Postlost_soul, on 04 March 2011 - 11:20 PM, said:

My only suggestion would have been to have more places in the town be enterable.

If i had to guess, I'd say this was done purposefully to save on performance for the
Spoiler
I think it worked very well. The gameplay was uniquely challenging as a result.

#19 PranQster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:09 AM

Awesome! I had a really great time playing this one.
Spoiler

I did discover that...
Spoiler

Edited by PranQster, 05 March 2011 - 01:16 AM.

Posted Image Linux pranqster 3.17.0-server-0.rc3.1.mga5 #1 SMP Wed Sep 3 01:23:14 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#20 Bikerdude

FM Manager, Campaign Dev

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,701 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

Just finished this, gotta say if this mission has had prettier graphics it would have gotten near perfect across the board, as it was it was mostly excellent. Well done Sotha , the story and scripted sequences were awesome.
Spoiler

Edited by Bikerdude, 05 March 2011 - 02:00 AM.

#21 Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:35 AM

@Everyone:
Thanks for the generally favourable comments thus far.

I added an updated link. There is no changes, except Bikerdude was added to the readme credits.
http://www.mediafire.com/?6nwc3h8gblr1x84

Could people hosting it remove the old and replace with this one? Thanks!

@Spring:
Spoiler

Clipper

#22 greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:34 AM

Didn't see this earlier, I've added this to the TDM mission database.

#23 Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:28 AM

View PostSotha, on 05 March 2011 - 02:35 AM, said:

Could people hosting it remove the old and replace with this one? Thanks!

Will do, should be up in a minute or two.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#24 swordbreaker

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:16 AM

Awesome mission, gonna finish it later. My first impression is it has very nice weather elements. Too bad it didn't entered to contest. Or it's better in this way, cuz other's chance'll be too low :)

#25 Aprilsister

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

Wow.

As anticipated whole new layers of gameplay powered by the ?what-can-I-do-with-this-engine? engineering that you build upon...

Spoiler

Aside from that everything pretty much worked out okay. Very nicely done.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Looking forward to more episodes!

I know you said you'd lay off for a while but don't leave us hanging for too long; you know this setup deserves to be set forth.

Thanks!

Edited by Aprilsister, 05 March 2011 - 07:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users