The Dark Mod Forums

Any good SP FPS to recommend?

Melan

Oh yeah, some really great games have been mentioned. If we go back as far as Undying and Alice, you might also want to consider The Suffering 1 & 2. I think it was rather a third person shooter as well, but at high momentum and I remember having a lot of fun with that game, similar to Alice and Undying.

Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games too, but I don't think it's what Melan is currently searching for. The last time, I finished Mirror's Edge in approximately two and a half hours without a break. :D

Thanks for the recommendations, folks! :D

For the time being, I visited the neighbourhood game store after lunch and picked up HL2 Orange Box and Necrovision. I'll also look into the others. Serpentine, I liked Serious Sam and Second Encounters, but right now, I'd like to play something different. :) I didn't like RtCW, though -- tried the demo, and it didn't feel or play like Wolf3d.

Mirror's Edge! I like some things about it (like the cheerful, bright art direction), but isn't it too hard? I am not very good with hard jumping puzzles (like in Tomb Raider) or really fast complex movement. If it uses savepoints, it may not be for me.

Also, what about Gears of War? It apparently sold like hotcakes, it has the heavily armed assholes with shoulder plates aspect of Warhammer, and some of the architecture looks fancy with the decaying cities and such. But I've also heard it was a horrible game, and the post-processing is maybe a bit too much. How is it?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

If you've got a Linux install, give Undying a try there under Wine. It worked just fine for me last time I tried it. I never did complete the game though. I got to that place in the mountains after you take the small boat. The atmosphere is quite good, I must agree. It is one of those shooters with very little character interaction, making the player feel alone and isolated. In many cases, this is a good thing. It is nice to play games where someone isn't shouting objectives in my ear constantly.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Also Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines. Bloodlines is so god damn cool, I played it waay too much. Killer music.

:D!

Playthrough number 3, with community patch. Playing Toreador with Beautiful Monster. What're you using?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Strange, no one even mantionned my prefered and one of the most underrated fps...

SiN... I haven't tested it on my new computer with windows se7en but since i have it through steam I'dd imagine it'll work on new hardware (well the steam one, and i'm downloading it to test it). I'm not speaking of the half bad SiN Episode: emergence, but of the originial SiN... the episode game is quite bad

edit: hum, just adding a link :)sin @ mobygame

Edited by elwing

Mirror's Edge does use Savepoints, but I don't think it's hard at all (after all you can play on easy difficulty). There are no actual jumping puzzles, as long as you don't want to achieve perfect times in the speedruns, which I loved a lot.

Gears of War was quite entertaining, but this might be pure judgement as I played it with friends on the xbox and coop is always a lot more entertaining, especially if alcohol is involved... ;-)

I'm surprised nobody posted "Chronicles of Riddick"

While the switch to 3rd person for mantling may be blasphemous here (as well as the comparatively dumb-ed down stealth), the game is still (overall) very engrossing and the (FPS view) fist-fighting and melee are in a class of their own. (I kinda wish for TDM fist-fighting against unarmed peasants just because of it...)

Yeah, if you have a Vin Diesel aversion you will have to put on your blinders...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

:D!

Playthrough number 3, with community patch. Playing Toreador with Beautiful Monster. What're you using?

The same as you, community patch, its been a couple of years since I've run through it. The closest of being a Thief would be the Nosferatu, ugly mofo's they are. We found this out a couple of years ago, there was a short lived TV series, we found it in reruns, and on the Internet, called The Kindred, same clans, etc. They were going to do another season, Julian, the prince, the actor died in real life from a motor cycle accident. :( I liked the show too.

there was a short lived TV series called The Kindred, same clans, etc. I liked the show too.

Funny you mention that short-lived series as I just watched the DVD last week :) For a Aaron Spelling production (Beverly Hills, Melrose Place and similar lukewarm commercial stuff) it's quiet remarkable well done also regards to the White Wolf RPG canon and follow-up Masquerade PC games.

I think that kind of game is not what Melan is looking for but for me VTM - Bloodlines is also still the most immersive dark themed FPS/RPG hyprid game done. even more than the great classics Deus Ex or System Shock 2. Shame about Activision pulling the plug on Troika and a possible sequel.

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Ahh cool! Someone that is familiar with Aaron spelling, and his work. It may not be the type of game Melan is looking for, it has its fighting moments. The game is just so well done, its a Classic. Melan, if you haven't played it. DO IT. You'll enjoy it, promise. :)

Well, you got the orange box, while portal isn't so much of a shooter it is very cool. More action puzzles than anything.

TF2 is one of my fav games of all time, but it's multi player. It's just so much more interesting than UT. UT is basically one character and your gun choice chooses play style.

TF2 is 9 characters each with a widely different play style and weapon selection. I think it'll be hard for any company to ever 1 up TF2 for multiplayer. From game play to art style it reins supreme.

Never did get very far in any of the half lifes, though they are popular.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

So far, I've played Portal (last afternoon; wanted to do some editing, but it went nowhere <_<). Very cool! Some of the puzzles had me scratching my head for a looong time. I wonder if any studio except Valve could have had something like this greenlighted - it has very good production values for a title that's outside the "safe sell" paradigm.

Alas, TF2 will be lost on me; just plain not interested in multiplayer, plus I've got a fairly unreliable net connection.

Ahh cool! Someone that is familiar with Aaron spelling, and his work. It may not be the type of game Melan is looking for, it has its fighting moments. The game is just so well done, its a Classic. Melan, if you haven't played it. DO IT. You'll enjoy it, promise. :)

Considering how many flamewars about Vampire (the RPG) and its assumed playstyle I have been involved in over the years, I am not entirely sure... but I'll take a look! :laugh:

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I am a Purah fan, and know he had worked on the project, but that Might&Magic game looks painfully "generic fantasy" to me.

I hear JFK: Reloaded got a lot of news coverage.

That must mean it's good, right? :rolleyes:

BTW, there are a few indie FPS or FPS-like games out there, also lots of mod campaigns ... Some HL2 mods are very good.

One of the ones with the best FPS mechanics I've seen is Neo-Tokyo, but unfortunately it's only multiplayer. If they made a single player campaign out of it, I'd nominate it for FPS of the year. (I have half a mind to make one myself...)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

How about Redneck Rampage? I still remember when I went out and purchased the sequel at a store thirteen years ago. These old games were not only fun to play, but funny too. We used to play deathmatches on one level with air boats and motorcycles in a cylindrical creak. It had crossing pathways and some ramps. It was hours of fun. That one level just never got old.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Damn, I've completed Dark Messiah at least five times! Yes, this game is a fantasy, but trust me Melan, it'll worth your while if you'll try to play it. It has damn good physics abilities - you can easily skip a battle against your foe just by having falling him into abyss or impaling him or throwing him into bonfire, let alone cutting his throat.

Edited by MoroseTroll

@Melan,

Portal2 is on the way.

Funny thing about Portal was it was a 'freebie'. A guy at the studio started it as a side project and they were impressed enough to make a small game of it (at least I believe that's the story). It was basically just thrown in to Orange Box for free and they even gave it away free on Steam awhile back to promote #2. #2 will be $50, but it is a 'full game' (Portal was only about what, 5 hrs of game play).

It also looks like it might just be Game of the Year. I guess they pulled out all stops and really threw everything at it.

I think it's slated for April 1st release.

Personally I'll wait until they have a good sale on it, but am looking forward to playing it.

Like I said, it was mainly developed by one guy off the clock. Valve didn't develop it, an employee did on his spare time. (I'm sure they put some work into it before release but that's beside the point).

It was one guys experiment, not a studio 'game' development. They just liked it enough it got released.

Also it wasn't ever meant to be an exercise in 'stunning level development', it was a physics puzzle game. If you can't enjoy it for that then don't, but knocking it for not living up to your personal artistic vision is just dumb.

If they touted it as a visual masterpiece or something, then yes you'd be right, it fell way short. But they didn't.

But this is the same complaint you make about Fan Missions, does nothing please you short of Halo?

I like how you degrade the level design for being too clean, when it fits so well with the squeaky-clean laboratory story and environment.

You wouldn't go to a haunted house and criticize the owners for making it dark and scary.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

The second half (last third?) of the game has pretty impressive and detailed industrial architecture.