The Dark Mod Forums

Old Concept Art

Springheel

Was looking through some of my old files and got a bit nostalgic. I suspect most people here have never seen these--they're some of the earliest concept sketches I did back in 2004 during the very earliest development days of TDM. I thought I'd post them for those curious about how things started.

The very first concept piece, from August 23, 2004. We didn't even have a name for the mod yet:

concept%20thief.jpg

The first Builder concept, Sept 19, 2004, then a slightly adjusted colour version with pauldrons added:

builder_concepts.jpg

The second Builder Priest concept. Oct 11th, 2004. This was the piece of concept art that got Oddity, our character modeler, interested in joining the mod:

concept%20priest2.jpg

The first concept sketch of the City Watch, Oct 16th, 2004:

watch_concepts.jpg

• Like 3

The nobleman concept, Oct 28th, 2004:

concept%20nobleman.jpg

Noblewoman concept, Oct 30th, 2004:

concept%20noblewoman.jpg

The earliest Main Menu mock-up, from Nov 6th, 2004:

(Look! I just noticed that even this early clock has the same non-time that we had to fix in our actual loading screen...wtf was up with that...?)

menu13.jpg

A mock-up of what real-time reading would look like. It took a bit of selling to get this idea accepted. Nov, 13th, 2004:

bookreading1.jpg

This was an alternate Main Menu we were considering in Dec, 2004, when we were talking about some kind of ridiculously ambitious animated Menu, where each option swung the camera to a different location within a 3d room:

mainmenu1.jpg

My God, it just struck me I've been working on this mod for almost seven years now.... :wacko:

• Like 3

Ooh! Thanks for sharing, SH - I LOVE this stuff.

I also like the insight into the rather over ambitious menu , ha ha. I think the much subtler one now with the iconic music works a lot better!

I've got to ask, I don't get what's wrong with the clock face there... *confused.*

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

The hour hand can't almost point at the 12 when the minute hand is only at the 20. It's weird, because that very same problem was present in our actual loading screen clock, even though it's an entirely different image.

That clock face would make a good game texture - although I guess in most cases the player doesn't get close.

Yes, nice to see the birth of so many new concepts - and much of the art is very close to how it is now.

Coolness. I like that second menu. Relaxingly blue.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Wow! Thanks for the screenies.

It is nice to see how the things came to be.

Is it just me, but those early main menu screenies look much better than the one that made it into the game. Why's that? I like the night blue theme, and always wondered what's with the pentagram-orange we have in the current menu?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Is it just me, but those early main menu screenies look much better than the one that made it into the game. Why's that? I like the night blue theme, and always wondered what's with the pentagram-orange we have in the current menu?

I guess it just fits well into the dark mod universe and the overall design of the game: subtle and effective. It doesn't look too spectacular to me too though. I always loved it when I fired up TMA and saw the animated steamwork et cetera. I also got myself a custom menu animation for TDS, showing some gears and stuff, so I wouldn't be opposed towards some steam punk upgrade to the mainmenu. :)

I find the slow change of in game model shots to be a great introduction when loading TDM combined with the music. You see the noblewoman, a mage, the Thief himself, a hideous revenant etc. I thought the sepia tone of it was perfect - like a draftman's workshop lit poorly by candlelight.

Is it just me, but those early main menu screenies look much better than the one that made it into the game.

There's no pleasing everyone when it comes to artistic design. I personally love our menus.

I like the variety of heads and bodies you got into the final mod - I always feel like the guards I'm evading are all different people with personalities rather than cardboard cut outs.

Springheel, can you plz post the concept shots in a higher resolution. Also, @nielsbohr, wouldn't it be good to do comparison shots of concept vs. actual model and post them on Moddb.com?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Springheel, can you plz post the concept shots in a higher resolution

I don't have them in a higher resolution.

That was an even earlier mock-up than the one I posted, before we started working with the clock motiff. The background is TDS, not D3. :P

• Like 1

Thanks, Andrey! Digging the stylised quiver there in the loadout sketches.

I think the final Builder priest model in game is one of my favourite ones - Feels very unique. Encountering one wielding a hammer in a FM was a very nasty surprise! =-D

• 9 months later...