The Dark Mod Forums

New Contest? (2nd Edition)

nbohr1more

Contest Concept: Minotaur's Maze

Size restriction: No

Time restriction: January 1st release?

The idea is to have some kind of maze present in the mission with treasure in the center. A tough Guard, Were-beast, or other threat will be patrolling the maze.

I was hoping for a Halloween contest this year but the prolonged contest development phase meant that that would have been back-to-back with the previous contest. If we get the concept and participants nailed down soonish, we could have a Christmas Contest Part II.

Do we have any other contest ideas?

I will wrap-up this thread by the end of this week (if possible).

Do any Team Members wish to step forward and mandate the contest type rather than live with the (possibly sub-par) results of a community vote?

The last contest was a little short on participants but most of the entries were rated very favorable compared to previous contests. I hope that more participation will happen this round and I hope that my oversight of the last contest was not a detracting factor for participation.

Of course, the last contest was essentially populated by superstar mission authors (ringers). I love seeing the big-guns competing against each other but I am concerned that other authors will throw-in the towel in the face of such competition. OTOH, many of the newbies didn't bat an eye at the prospect of competing against a master dromed builder like Melan in the first contest... and the second contest had two team members in the roster.

Just to informally judge the interest, who would like to participate?

Are any authors out there reluctant to join if our regular master authors are in the mix?

Would a separate judging for veterans verses newcomers be a way to encourage both types of participation?

(Meaning, one award for newbies and one for old pro's... maybe a cross comparison if the newbies challenge the scores of the pro's... etc)

Any thoughts?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contest Concept: Minotaur's Maze

Size restriction: No

Time restriction: January 1st release?

The last contest was a little short on participants but most of the entries were rated very favorable compared to previous contests. I hope that more participation will happen this round and I hope that my oversight of the last contest was not a detracting factor for participation.

Of course, the last contest was essentially populated by superstar mission authors (ringers). I love seeing the big-guns competing against each other but I am concerned that other authors will throw-in the towel in the face of such competition. OTOH, many of the newbies didn't bat an eye at the prospect of competing against a master dromed builder like Melan in the first contest... and the second contest had two team members in the roster.

Mazes are usually lack of scenario that makes them boring.

Yes, there were lack of entries. I'm afraid it'll be lower on the next contest. The reason is only a few newbies posting in editor's guild or they're hiding in shadows.

Contest Concept: High Security Contest

Best contest idea in whole discussion imho. We should consider it in another contest when we have enough assets for it.

I love Fidcal's limited room idea --- could almost be an "escape the room" type puzzle with no enemies - so long as it didn't turn into a keyhunt. Or a mission without blackjacks forcing a kind of ghosting.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Mazes are usually not very good in FPS games. It is hard to navigate in them, and they are also not easy to develop a good idea around.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yes, there were lack of entries. I'm afraid it'll be lower on the next contest. The reason is only a few newbies posting in editor's guild or they're hiding in shadows.

Unfortunately a lot of mappers are currently occupied with big projects, like the newbie campaign, that won't have any payoff for some time.

My suggestion would be some kind of speed-build contest, in the flavour of Melan's Fauchard map. Even mappers who are currently working on something else might be willing to take a break for a contest with a quick turnaround.

Yeah, how about that? One month should be enough to build a neat small mission. It doesn't have to be very ambitious.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I agree. A speed-build contest might be a good way to encourage a break. 1 month seems a little slim though... 2 months maybe?

I won't spend a lot of words defending my maze idea. I have been reading Atlantis studies again and the Minoans have been on my mind so I showed my son the Minotaur and he was really excited about that monster. A maze can work as long as it's not a "hard-core maze" where everything is featureless and identical. Lots of texture variety, scripted events, broken walls, puddles, moss, etc. As long as you don't make a yellow-brick road to the goal it will still be challenging to remember land-marks and navigate. I think it could work. (But the needed variety does contradict the idea of a speed build so... :laugh: )

Edited by nbohr1more

I could maybe, perhaps, probably, sadly, enter a speed building contest if one arises...

Too bad my main map will have to be put on hold for the fourth (?) time...! sleep.gif

My suggestions are:

Speed building contest.

Time: One month, AND prior work allowed. One must, of course, state that prior work has been included.

(If two months we'll have to get to work very soon to be able to fulfull the theme below).

Theme: Horror (if we put the contest around halloween).

BTW I believe Patently dangerous was the most fearsome mission.

It went from a regular "search heist" and went more and more disturbing and I almost didn't dare to search all those rooms in the final areas, and I was moved by the tragic end, (if that's a legitime wording for that).

Edited by Fieldmedic

Patently Dangerous scared the crap out of me.

I APPROVE. =3

Doesn't have to be revenants or werebeasts which are scary - just a sense of dread is enough to make me bounce in my seat happily. =D

........................,,--~--,,

......................./:.:.:.:.:.|

......................|;.;.;.;.;.;/

............._,,,,,_.);.;.;.;.;.|

.........,,-":.:.:.:."~-,;.;.;.;|

........(_,,,,---,,_:.:.);.;.;..",,

......,-":.:.:.:.:.""-,,/;.;.;.;.;.",

.....(:.__,,,,,,,,,___);.;.;.;.;.;|

...../"":.:.:.:.:.:.:¯""\;.;.;.;.;.,"

....\",__,,,,,,,,,,,__/;;;;;;;;;/\

.....\.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.;.);;;;;;;;;/:::\

.......\,,,,,---~~~~;;;;;;;;,":::::\

.........."""~~--,,,,,,,,,,-":::::::::\

...................\::::::::::::::::::::::\

Thumbs up for horror :D

Mazes are usually not very good in FPS games. It is hard to navigate in them, and they are also not easy to develop a good idea around.

Oh boy, you'd see the horror mazes I'd come up with - if you'd be "bored", that be only because you are dead :D

Anyway, I'd love to partake in a contest, but in the time it takes me to map a room, jdude does two missions :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@Tels

Sounds like you're a level designer for Amnesia: The Dark Descent! ;-P

mission briefing: you've irked off a rival thieves guild/ thief once too often, they've kidnapped you, taken all your equipment and left you in the dark somewhere instead of killing you, escape, find your equipment, act vengeance on your would be kidnappers/s.

Trapped is exactly what you are saying. Betrayal has similar concept too.

I've added a poll (with some neglected choices from the last round) but the vote must be quick if a speed-build is preferred. Please get your votes in shortly.

Thanks.

:)