The Dark Mod Forums

Foley requests

Mortem Desino

So I've found myself elected president of my college's entire A/V department. And I've gotten personal possession of some studio-quality mics and equipment.

I've already made some replacement sword draws and sword clashes(2 MB .rar with OGGs), and just today I've recorded some replacement sword+wood impacts (140k MP3 demo).

While I repair my desktop and re-acquire SVN trunk assets, are there any particularly horrible or repetitive SFX that you want recorded and soundshaders replaced?

I'm thinking of replacing/creating:

• Current repetitive impact noises
    • Bottles
    • Candle "tin can"
    • etc.

[*]General impact noises

• Impact onto carpet
    • Impact onto foliage/grass
    • Impact onto glass
    • etc.

[*]Vanilla D3 assets

• Sword+Plate Armor "Bucket" sound
    • Metal impact sounds

Any ones in particular that you think need attention first, or ones that I've missed?

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Sounds like a good plan :)

I'd like you to focus on replacing D3 sounds like:

74:     sound/weapons/explosions/impexp_05.wav
75:     sound/weapons/explosions/impexp_06.wav
76:     sound/weapons/explosions/impexp_04.wav
77:     sound/weapons/explosions/impexp_03.wav

15:     sound/impact/boxes/boxfall_18.ogg
16:     sound/impact/ambient_impacts/emetal_01.wav
17:     sound/impact/ambient_impacts/emetal_02.wav
18:     sound/impact/ambient_impacts/emetal_03.wav
19:     sound/impact/ambient_impacts/emetal_04.wav
20:     sound/impact/ambient_impacts/emetal_05.wav
33:     sound/impact/boxes/boxfall_18.ogg
34:     sound/impact/crash/glasscrash_01.ogg
35:     sound/impact/crash/glasscrash_02.ogg
36:     sound/impact/crash/glasscrash_03.ogg
37:     sound/impact/crash/glasscrash_04.ogg
38:     sound/impact/metals/1shot_metalhit_01.ogg
39:     sound/impact/metals/1shot_metalhit_03.ogg
40:     sound/impact/metals/1shot_metalhit_06.ogg
41:     sound/impact/steel/clang_01.ogg
42:     sound/impact/steel/clang_02.ogg
43:     sound/impact/steel/clang_03.ogg
44:     sound/impact/steel/clang_04.wav
45:     sound/impact/steel/clang_05.ogg
57:     sound/impact/metals/1shot_metalhit_01.ogg
58:     sound/impact/metals/1shot_metalhit_03.ogg
59:     sound/impact/metals/1shot_metalhit_06.ogg
60:     sound/impact/shaky_metal_bangs/mbang_01.wav
61:     sound/impact/shaky_metal_bangs/mbang_02.wav
62:     sound/impact/shaky_metal_bangs/mbang_03.wav
63:     sound/impact/shaky_metal_bangs/mbang_04.wav
64:     sound/impact/shaky_metal_bangs/mbang_05.wav
65:     sound/impact/metal_doors/slam_08_boomy.wav
83:     sound/impact/shaky_metal_bangs/mbang_01.wav
84:     sound/impact/shaky_metal_bangs/mbang_02.wav
85:     sound/impact/shaky_metal_bangs/mbang_03.wav
86:     sound/impact/shaky_metal_bangs/mbang_04.wav
87:     sound/impact/shaky_metal_bangs/mbang_05.wav
88:     sound/impact/metal_doors/slam_08_boomy.wav
89:     sound/impact/solid/impact_01.ogg
90:     sound/impact/solid/impact_02.ogg
91:     sound/impact/solid/impact_03.ogg

I guess a lot of the "impact" things align with your plan, anyway :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Wood impact (57k mp3) sounds ahoy. This one in particular was made with an old dining table laying in my basement.

Also: Burlap sack / carpet impact. (40k mp3)

Still no luck with my desktop. I need a new hard drive and I should really get a copy of Win7 x64. It still ran XP 32-bit.

I'll upload the sounds to SVN sound_src and trunk probably following the release of 1.06.

Wood impact (57k mp3) sounds ahoy. This one in particular was made with an old dining table laying in my basement.

Also: Burlap sack / carpet impact. (40k mp3)

Very cool :wub: Can always use more :)

Still no luck with my desktop. I need a new hard drive and I should really get a copy of Win7 x64. It still ran XP 32-bit.

I'll upload the sounds to SVN sound_src and trunk probably following the release of 1.06.

You can just upload them right away, the release happens in a different branch. (the main src f.i. is already as v1.07, and there are different changes in the main trunk, too). But take your time!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Crammed 'em all into the trunk. (The source WAVs are currently uploading slooowwwwly to sound_src.)

My family polished off a pickle jar during supper tonight. You now have new "bottle impact" sounds as well. ;)

Is it possible to record some "dropping" impact sounds? The wood ones you uploaded are good but they sound more like wood being hit by something...what we desperately need is sounds for dropping wooden objects like planks, wooden buckets, hammers, wooden trays, etc.

I can boost the low frequencies of the wood ones for a boomier impact. With some fancy EQ, they might even sound more hollow.

I don't want to boost the low frequencies too much, or those playing on cruddy laptop speakers will barely hear them.

Edit: Done in Trunk. The wood/crate impacts now pack a bigger "thump".

It's not so much the frequency, it's that they're a single "tap", rather than the extended clatter you'd get if something wooden fell to the ground...it would bounce once or twice before settling.

I'll see (listen?) what's laying around my father's shed. There should be plenty of various wooden objects to choose from.

Concerning planks: I'll record some new impacts for just the moveable planks. The current plank noises can remain for whatever smaller "junk" moveables they sound with.

I'd love to get rid of the typical wooden "clunk" that everything uses.

One impact sound which jumped out at me as being unrealistic is the sound when an AI throws a stone at you and it misses, and hits a wall instead. It makes a sort of "squick" sound as if it was a lump of meat. I was never able to figure out what the actual sound shader was, though.

Well, there's two ways of solving that. Either I can record a stone fall, or I can adjust the thrown projectile to be a slab of raw steak. :P

I've got a few more recordings done (none of them on SVN yet). Two different cauldron impacts, suitable for big fat cauldrons, and the smaller cooking pots. I tried a big cast iron frying pan, but it ended up always sounding distinctly like a frying pan. Not even useful for metal tools.

Also, a few 1x8 wood planks, suitable for small "junk" wood impacts.

One impact sound which jumped out at me as being unrealistic is the sound when an AI throws a stone at you and it misses, and hits a wall instead

I'm going on a vague memory, but I don't think projectile sounds take the surface it hits into account. So the rock plays the same 'hit flesh' sound regardless of what it hits. Though D3 did have different impact sounds for bullets, so maybe this just needs to be properly set.

I've got a few more recordings done (none of them on SVN yet). Two different cauldron impacts, suitable for big fat cauldrons, and the smaller cooking pots. I tried a big cast iron frying pan, but it ended up always sounding distinctly like a frying pan. Not even useful for metal tools.

I actually like the frying pan better as a "drop metal object" sound; the cauldron impacts are interesting, but to me sound more like a large tom-tom or kettledrum than an obviously metal object.

The plank sounds would also work well for dropping a smallish wooden object, like a wooden spoon.

I'll probably be releasing my map in another week or so, and I'll start adding the new sounds in after that.

The reason I might like the frying pan is because it has a metallic "ringing" quality. Actually, maybe I'll keep them handy as metallic ring overdubs.

I'll probably be releasing my map in another week or so, and I'll start adding the new sounds in after that.

What do you mean by adding the new sounds? Putting these into your FM package (a kind of "public audition" for the sfx)?

Have you already added them to the appropriate def files? I had assumed that you just created the soundshaders.

Yes, the moveable defs now have new snd_bounce keypairs set.

Is awesome you have this recording access! Congrats! I've personally always wished the sounds for taking an arrow out and putting it away were improved. Something more whole; heartier. I don't know what it's supposed to sound like... I just feel the current sounds are hollow and ungratifying. And they don't really sound realistic to me. I'm pretty sure some folks here like the current sounds, so please take it for what it's worth. Also, I might recommend the water arrow splash and douse sound could maybe use a little refinement. I'd be curious to see what could come up for these, in case they happen to be improvements everyone agrees with.

The new sword on sword sounds are great. Is the new wood impact sound for the sword correct though? It sounds almost like a jorge sound to me, though there's no error message. It definitely doesn't register as a sword hitting wood though.

Also, while I like them for the player, I'm not sure that the new, "realistic" sword drawing sounds are as effective for the AI. The old sounds were not as realistic, but they were much more threatening-sounding than the new ones. As a compromise, what if we kept the old swords for longswords, and used the new ones for shortswords and daggers?

Not sure what's wrong with the swordVsWood impacts. They work fine on my SVN copy. Maybe I missed something in a soundshader somewhere. (I think our Jorge sound is either a rubber ducky or some Star Trek bleep-bloop)

The foley was made by running my bowie knife through expanded polystyrene styrofoam. I time shifted it down an octave, EQ'd out any "squeaks", and added just a hair of pink noise. It should sound almost like a "woody" burst of TV static. If ye want, I can see what else around my house makes a woody noise, and rerecord.

I can change the AI sword draws, yeah. I was thinking of this while playing through your FM. Like you said: it's just not intimidating (of course, I intended that SFX not to sound intimidating) :P.

It should sound almost like a "woody" burst of TV static.

Yes, that's what it sounds like...more like static than an actual impact 'thud'.

Hm. I'll give it another shot. It's hard to emulate sword hitting wood. I've got a rusty old Knights of Columbus sword that I'm not attached to. Maybe I can beat some items with it (without feeling remorse over ruining a good weapon :laugh:)

I do like the sword vs sword impacts. I was trying to imitate Thief's clashs, clangs, and scrapes.