The Dark Mod Forums

Foley requests

Mortem Desino

Mortem, did you add a sound to the wench character? When they're walking, I swear I can hear a "swishing" sound, but I can't for the life of me figure out from the def files where it's coming from.

On that note, I'd love to have some generic clanking sound made by armour while walking.

I did not. :huh: I don't remember hearing a swish tied with any idle animation. I do remember an anim where a guard taps his boot on the ground.

-----

AI now use the classic dark mod "SHHIIIING!" again, when drawing their sword. Spring was right: they sound a lot scarier. B)

Also, I've added a goblet impact sound for pewter cups, goblets, etc. I'm not convinced that it sounds enough like a bowl, so I'll rec something else for those.

-----

Bythewaybytheway: Because of friends in various Renaissance Fair groups, I have an aluminum chainmail coif I can tambourine on; maybe it'll make the citywatch patrol clip-clops sound more unique.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I did not.

Weird...I am definitely hearing a "swish" sound as they walk. Could it be an actually impact sound from their dress hitting the floor?? I didn't think that was possible.

I have an aluminum chainmail coif I can tambourine on; maybe it'll make the citywatch patrol clip-clops sound more unique.

Hmm, I've thought about that, but I'm concerned that mappers will change the skins to nochain without thinking to change the footstep sounds. At least with the plate-mail characters they are always wearing plate, regardless of the skin.

Which FM in particular are you hearing the wench-swish? I spawned both an ai_whore and an ai_townsfolk_wench in the materials testmap, had her walk on all the materials, and heard nothing out of the ordinary.

I've been doing some work on them and was using test/idle_animations. I have a few of them walking in a bunch...I wonder if they're bumping into each other? But I didn't think that caused sounds either. Strange....

I like the skirt rustling that you committed recently, so I might try chainmail rustling on the proguard. The OGGs and the shaders are committed to trunk, but not yet implemented in the anims.

Also: Bowl impacts are done. And more wood impacts are done (mostly for furniture, chairs).

Do you have anything "clanky"? I'd like to add some metal clanks to the builder animations, but can't find anything suitable.

The problem with adding chainmail sounds is what happens if the mapper switches the skin to cloth? Once I add the sounds to the animations there's no easy way for mappers to remove them.

I'll experiment. I can't think of any way to emulate plate armor.

what happens if the mapper switches the skin to cloth?

I've suddenly realized that there is no script event that returns the name of a skin. There's only a script event that sets a model's skin. :(

I'll experiment. I can't think of any way to emulate plate armor.

I've suddenly realized that there is no script event that returns the name of a skin. There's only a script event that sets a model's skin. :(

Hm. We could add one. For now, the scripts I have written do the following:

* set the skin

* AND set the spawnarg "skin" to the new skin

When they need to query the skin, they just query the spawnarg, which will then reflect the current skin. Works if only the script changes the skin.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Currently I've set this up by adding different animation shaders (is that the right term?) to the individual AI that need them. For example, wenches have their own walk animation shader that includes frame commands for the rustling skirt sound.

In order to change that sound, mappers would have to use the "replace_anim" spawnarg, and would have to know which animations to replace and what to change them to, which is a bit unlikely.

Unless we can come up with some easy way to select the sounds, I want to stick with sounds that would apply regardless of skins...the wench always has a skirt, the builder always has plate mail, etc.

• 6 months later...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 1 month later...

Lost track of this somehow. Yes, I like the second ones, though I might suggest a bit more randomness.

Right-o. The elite guard now has platemail rustles added to his regular walk, search, and run/charge anims.

I've also got some nice clothing thuds/slides/rustles that I'm thinking of putting in for the player mantle. I'll try to post a video of it later in the week for critique. I'm starting to tire of hearing the same "Hrm! Hrg! Hungh! Humpf!" when climbing about.