Photo

Fan Mission: Reap as you sow by Fieldmedic (2011/06/19)

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission: Reap as you sow by Fieldmedic (2011/06/19) (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Seasonal Theme captured?

1. No Season defined (1 votes [2.13%])

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

2. Barely defined Season (1 votes [2.13%])

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

3. Season is clear, nothing more (11 votes [23.40%])

Percentage of vote: 23.40%

4. Season is captured well (20 votes [42.55%])

Percentage of vote: 42.55%

5. Near Perfect, evokes the feel of the Season (14 votes [29.79%])

Percentage of vote: 29.79%

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

1. * (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. * * (11 votes [23.40%])

Percentage of vote: 23.40%

3. * * * (19 votes [40.43%])

Percentage of vote: 40.43%

4. * * * * (12 votes [25.53%])

Percentage of vote: 25.53%

5. * * * * * (5 votes [10.64%])

Percentage of vote: 10.64%

Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio, use mood. Storytelling and consistency?

1. * (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. * * (3 votes [6.38%])

Percentage of vote: 6.38%

3. * * * (13 votes [27.66%])

Percentage of vote: 27.66%

4. * * * * (22 votes [46.81%])

Percentage of vote: 46.81%

5. * * * * * (9 votes [19.15%])

Percentage of vote: 19.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5710 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

Okay I have a question about this FM that I tried playing today. I'm certain that in the intro it was mentioned that the garden maze was a tourist attraction and that you procured a ticket to get in. Why does everyone who sees me attack me then when I go to go into the maze?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#52 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

There's a way around that first bug.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#53 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

Okay I have a question about this FM that I tried playing today. I'm certain that in the intro it was mentioned that the garden maze was a tourist attraction and that you procured a ticket to get in. Why does everyone who sees me attack me then when I go to go into the maze?

Nobody should attack you when you're moving towards the maze...

I must upload ver 1.01 with some quick fixes before every person has asked the same question. :rolleyes:

#54 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5710 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

lol sorry, I didn't go through the house at the start of the mission, I went through the gate on the side and headed right towards the back and the servant girl opened the house door and saw me and failed mission came up.
I'll wait to play it til later then, looks promising though I have to say.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#55 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

lol sorry, I didn't go through the house at the start of the mission, I went through the gate on the side and headed right towards the back and the servant girl opened the house door and saw me and failed mission came up.
I'll wait to play it til later then, looks promising though I have to say.

It's a special mission, say no more :)

#56 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

Spoiler

liked this mission, but came to a point that i am bugged and cant seem to continue

Spoiler

I'm at the
Spoiler

#57 GaijinSin

GaijinSin

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:38 PM

Spoiler

I'm at the
Spoiler

Spoiler

#58 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

Spoiler

I'm at the
Spoiler

Spoiler

#59 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:44 AM

Well after going back to almost the beginning with a previous save I finished the mission and am glad I did. I really liked your layout of the map.

Spoiler

Thanks for such a unique mission.Will go and vote now.

#60 Trickster

Trickster

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

Congrats on release, and thanks !

Season is well defined. / Three stars. / Three stars.

Sad that you hadnīt time needed to make it work flawlessly, experienced all the bugs others mentioned plus some.

I tried dropping bodies into hatch, but they allways get stuck across opening and didnīt fall down. Get killed many times up there. When i tried to shoulder them and noclip down to tunnels, objective wasnīt completed. When i appeared in maze with bodies after winter scene, there was some tourist nearby and i havenīt time to clean them, so get instantly hunted. When i put a ring in bedroom to accuse lady, objective was checked, then i return to pick body, get the ring again, objective unchecked. When i pulled the lever down in tunnels, went up by the corridor towards the ladder, then boom, i was lying dead without noticeable reason. Or was there any ? And so on.

Bugs, boredom. This killed the mood for me. I blame contest deadline for it, iīm sure it would work if you had enough time. Had some good fun moments though, i enjoyed the beginning, to have no shadows to hide was super tense. Tunnels were scary, so i enjoyed this part too. Thus three stars.

Aesthetics three stars, b/c TDM (d3) just doesnīt look good brightly lit without shadows. Not your fault, but big empty outside areas should profit from some more foliage, trees, decals and stuff to not seem so empty.

I gave higher rating for season capturing, to reward you at least for trying the hardest "season" (daylight), as winter seems most forgiving, and have most contestants.

Best luck with next FMs.

#61 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

. When i pulled the lever down in tunnels, went up by the corridor towards the ladder, then boom, i was lying dead without noticeable reason. Or was there any ? And so on.

Spoiler

#62 Professor Paul1290

Professor Paul1290

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

As others have mentioned this mission could have benefited from more testing. Also, it feels a bit awkward the way the objectives change so many times and it feels like there isn't enough notification or warning about it.

Others will probably strongly disagree with me, but I thought the daylight stealth was a rather interesting change of pace. I liked having to approach it differently than I would if there were less light. However, while I think they should detect you this easily, I think the NPCs are too quick to attack you when they do see you.

I think it would help make it more comfortable if they didn't jump to completely alert as quickly when they see you. I mean, just becuase someone is standing where he shouldn't doesn't immediately mean that he intends to do harm or even if he does that doesn't necessarily mean he's a threat worth using lethal force against.

It would be nice if there was an alert level for less paranoid situations where the AI will approach and attempt to force you out of an area without using lethal force, though I'm not sure whether that's doable or would fit with The Dark Mod since most missions don't need it.

#63 pusianka

pusianka

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

When I started the mission I was like: "Fieldmedic you're my master, where are your shoes so I can polish them for you" but then it was gettin worse... I couldnt get into the maze without no clip, the guard was detecting me straight away and I really tried to do that differently... I couldnt read bernards diary either. the dumpin bodies thing didnt work as well. Jumping through the window into the attic of stable was damn hard. I think too hard... BUT I MANAGED! ;D

Whole FM is very original, I'd say you'll win the contest if you just fix the bugs but I would also suggest more ways of infiltrating rooms and such. This engine isn't good for well lit areas but you did the best effort to make a beautiful summer FM. CONGRATS :)

#64 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

When I started the mission I was like: "Fieldmedic you're my master, where are your shoes so I can polish them for you" but then it was gettin worse... I couldnt get into the maze without no clip, the guard was detecting me straight away and I really tried to do that differently... I couldnt read bernards diary either. the dumpin bodies thing didnt work as well. Jumping through the window into the attic of stable was damn hard. I think too hard... BUT I MANAGED! ;D

Whole FM is very original, I'd say you'll win the contest if you just fix the bugs but I would also suggest more ways of infiltrating rooms and such. This engine isn't good for well lit areas but you did the best effort to make a beautiful summer FM. CONGRATS :)

Thank you :)

Spoiler

Edited by Fieldmedic, 26 June 2011 - 11:32 AM.

#65 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

New version, see first post.

#66 id3839315

id3839315

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

Lovely red houses... this must be from Scandinavia. Posted Image
A great mission with lots of nice details (even in the toilet)

Spoiler

Glad I'm not the only one. Doom crashes when I try to save the game. :(

#67 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5588 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:55 AM

People have zmalloc crashes after update?

You'd better check your doomconfig.cfg.

These setting should be like this

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
seta image_useNormalCompression "2"
seta image_useAllFormats "1"
seta image_useCompression "1"
seta image_preload "1"

If compression is not enabled, TDM will chew a lot more memory, which might cause the crashes.
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#68 Mortem Desino

Mortem Desino

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2442 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

Well, of course dmap will give you malloc failures. It's an unpolished developer tool, so I'm certain iD didn't agonize over ultra-stingy memory management when it's not necessarily for public use.
yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

#69 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5588 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:33 PM

Well, of course dmap will give you malloc failures. It's an unpolished developer tool, so I'm certain iD didn't agonize over ultra-stingy memory management when it's not necessarily for public use.

I'm just puzzled 'cos I've done quite a few dmappings in my career thus far and I've never ever encountered any malloc failures.
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#70 Mortem Desino

Mortem Desino

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2442 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

I've already contacted Ravensoft about it. I live right in their backyard, so maybe I can squeeze some info out of any Quake 4 devs. ;)
yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

#71 Slither

Slither

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

Brilliant mission! Interesting scripting on the HUD and tunnels were very cool. One sort-of bug. I can't figure out the spoiler tags, so I hope I'm both sufficiently cryptic and clear: It involved dumping a body on a hatch and later, the hatch would not open unless I grabbed and carried the body through the hatch artwork (before opening, clipping problem) and dropping it elsewhere.

#72 i30817

i30817

• PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:47 AM

It would be nice if there was an alert level for less paranoid situations where the AI will approach and attempt to force you out of an area without using lethal force, though I'm not sure whether that's doable or would fit with The Dark Mod since most missions don't need it.

Cool idea, "get out of here taffer!" shake fist for 4 seconds "I'm warning you!" and then go full out.

#73 Fieldmedic

Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:39 AM

Brilliant mission! Interesting scripting on the HUD and tunnels were very cool. One sort-of bug. I can't figure out the spoiler tags, so I hope I'm both sufficiently cryptic and clear: It involved dumping a body on a hatch and later, the hatch would not open unless I grabbed and carried the body through the hatch artwork (before opening, clipping problem) and dropping it elsewhere.

Hehe, no bodies should be placed onto the hatches. I really should have made these uniteruptable...

Cool you liked it :)

#74 Sir Taffsalot

Sir Taffsalot

• PipPipPip
  • 1549 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:09 AM

One thing I liked when playing FM contests for the original thief games was that there was usually one entry where someone would try and do something that broke the mould. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't but nevertheless it was always fun to be taken out of your comfort zone. Hopefully this trend continues with Dark mod contests. Persoanlly I really enjoyed this mission. it took a bit of getting used to. The tension meter made me feel like I was playing Hitman at times, which is no bad thing.

I really liked the story. I think this FM has the best story that utilises a seasonal theme. I liked the sound effects in the tunnels. They created a really tense atmosphere. I like been in spooky places where you know something bad can happen but it doesn't, like in the first part of Shalebridge cradle. The more you expect something to jump out at you and the longer it doesn't, it just keeps building that tension. great stuff!
It was nice seeing the dark mod in daylight without any shadows. Lovely maze too.

I found the readables were way too long! At the beginning of the map when I read Alma and Carls diarys I was thinking am I playing a dark mod FM or reading a novel? As much as I liked the story I didn't think the readables needed to be that long. In order to progress I had to to do way too many loads and saves. I'd love to see someone attempt to iron man this.

So some things worked, some things didn't but I guess thats the price you pay when you try something different. Taking that into account this might be my persoanl favourite of the contest. It took me 3 - 4 hours to complete but I was so emmersed that it didn't feel that long at all. Took some getting used to but in the end very enjoyable. Thank you very much Fieldmedic.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

#75 Aprilsister

Aprilsister

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

Went back to play this one (as I had to take a break from the contest missions, and do some betatesting). I anticipated that it might have been updated during the interim -- and I see that it has been, to 1.02.

But...

This FM is also (along with "Siege Shop") NOT in the in-game downloader list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users