The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Alberic's Curse by b1k3rdude (Updated: 01/11/2014)

Bikerdude

Finally finished! BTW I always liked the look of your missions (The Gatehouse is my favorite). The Cathedral in the mist from the outside is simply great! Très gothic.

And I especially liked

the catacombs, even with only one zombie they had good claustrophobic atmosphere. Although I mostly did not enjoy the constant finding my bearings in the upper levels, in the catacombs I felt that a disorientation is quite right!

And regarding the exterior, have you evet thought about making a mission in a sort of pagan village?

And regarding the exterior, have you evet thought about making a mission in a sort of pagan village?

the D3/TDM engine isnt conducive to outdoor settings, so if i did want to building something like this it would have to be cleverly design to it could be visportaled properly.

the D£/TDM engine isnt conducive to outdoor settings, so if i did want to building something like this it would have to be cleverly design to it could be visportaled properly.

Interesting. I was curious about the lack of entirely outdoor missions, but this explains it. Maybe a series of wall forts separating sections of a forest? I dunno. I'm not versed enough yet in DR's limitations to know for sure.

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

the D3/TDM engine isnt conducive to outdoor settings, so if i did want to building something like this it would have to be cleverly design to it could be visportaled properly.

pity... you're really good at exteriors

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What I really like about this mission are the possibilities given to the player in terms of approaching things. Some parts are quite linear but most of it is like this:

You have this huge monastery/cathedral building and you can enter it from each side, from different floors and it is really satisfying, if you manage to leave the building, run around it quickly and enter again from a different side to pass a guard wandering around, instead of just standing in a dark corner and waiting for the time to pass^^

EDIT @jaxa:

As far as I have explored it, there are two possibilities to get a sword:

1. pick it up from a dead bandit in the first floor

2. get it from the armory, but you need the key for it first

Edited by Cookie

I just checked DarkMod's ingame mission downloader for any new stuff today and saw this, then checked this thread. Sounds good. I liked the previous version but if you added to it in the way you added to other missions you've updated it'll be worth replaying for sure.

I just noticed this update and had a crash pretty well straight away. I though I'd run straight from the start gate to the Bridgewater gate without going off the path ... and the game crashed! Here's the tail end of what was in my console log:

----- idImageManager::EndLevelLoad -----

WARNING:Couldn't load image: textures/mcity/mcityplain6

WARNING:Couldn't load image: -

WARNING:Couldn't load image: arms_legs

WARNING:Couldn't load image: rope_belt

WARNING:Couldn't load image: belt

WARNING:Couldn't load image: textures/misc/taper_d

WARNING:Couldn't load image: _bloomimage

WARNING:Couldn't load image: _cookedmath

0 purged from previous

213 kept from previous

957 new loaded

all images loaded in 28.2 seconds

----------------------------------------

----- idSoundCache::EndLevelLoad -----

37698k referenced

6338k purged

----------------------------------------

sound: missing efxs/alberic.efx

-----------------------------------

38668 msec to load alberic

interactionTable generated of size: 134217728 bytes

------------- Warnings ---------------

during alberic...

WARNING:Couldn't load gui: 'guis/chat.gui'

WARNING:Couldn't load gui: 'guis/map_of.gui'

WARNING:Couldn't load gui: 'guis/mpmsgmode.gui'

WARNING:Couldn't load gui: 'guis/scoreboard.gui'

WARNING:Couldn't load gui: 'guis/spectate.gui'

WARNING:Couldn't load image: -

WARNING:Couldn't load image: _bloomimage

WARNING:Couldn't load image: _cookedmath

WARNING:Couldn't load image: arms_legs

WARNING:Couldn't load image: belt

WARNING:Couldn't load image: rope_belt

WARNING:Couldn't load image: textures/mcity/mcityplain6

WARNING:Couldn't load image: textures/misc/taper_d

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_doublevision.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_guienter.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_guiexit.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_hitarmor.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_hitflesh.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_skipcinematic.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_teleportexit.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_teleportstart.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/impacts/spike_ball_fall_1.ogg' using default

WARNING:idFileSystem::OSPathToRelativePath failed on

WARNING:Image name "-" is too short

WARNING:sound shader 'spike_ball_impact' has shakes and uses OGG file 'sound/sfx/movement/impacts/spike_ball_fall_2.ogg'

WARNING:sound shader 'spike_ball_impact' has shakes and uses OGG file 'sound/sfx/movement/impacts/spike_ball_fall_3.ogg'

WARNING:sound shader 'tdm_ai_revenant_killed_enemy' has shakes and uses OGG file 'sound/voices/undead/revenant/won01.ogg'

WARNING:sound shader 'tdm_ai_revenant_killed_enemy' has shakes and uses OGG file 'sound/voices/undead/revenant/won02.ogg'

WARNING:Unknown classname 'atdm:soap' on 'soap'.

WARNING:Unknown classname 'atdm:soap' on 'soap2'.

WARNING:Unknown classname 'atdm:soap' on 'soap3'.

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity atdm_ai_undead_zombie_alt01_1

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity atdm_ai_undead_zombie_alt01_10

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity atdm_ai_undead_zombie_alt01_2

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity atdm_ai_undead_zombie_alt01_3

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity atdm_ai_undead_zombie_alt01_4

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity atdm_ai_undead_zombie_alt01_5

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity atdm_ai_undead_zombie_alt01_6

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity atdm_ai_undead_zombie_alt01_7

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity atdm_ai_undead_zombie_alt01_8

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity atdm_ai_undead_zombie_alt01_9

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity Bensford

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity crypt_zombie_1

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity crypt_zombie_2

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity crypt_zombie_3

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity crypt_zombie_4

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity crypt_zombie_5

WARNING:Unknown look_joint 'Waist' on entity roaming_zombie2

48 warnings

Bloom Kernel size is set to: Small

Using TDM's enhanced interaction

Forcing an update on cooked math data.

Cooking math data please wait...

Cooking complete.

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_3048': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_3048

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_3045': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_3045

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_3046': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_3046

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_3047': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_3047

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_3049': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_3049

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_1934': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_1934

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_3050': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_3050

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_3052': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_3052

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_3053': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_3053

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_3054': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_3054

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_1929': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_1929

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'func_static_2013': num_pages not defined on readable func_static_2013

WARNING:tdm_base01.pk4/script/tdm_readables.script(182): Thread 'atdm_readable_mobile_book01_1': num_pages not defined on readable atdm_readable_mobile_book01_1

speaker_zone_ambient::init() called

Color read from main ambient light 'ambient_world': 0.08 0.08 0.08

Changed location from '' to 'info_forest'.

The ambient 'snd_forest' (forest_outside_loop) for location 'info_forest' is now playing.

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 72 frames overflowed and dropped

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 109 frames overflowed and dropped

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 41 frames overflowed and dropped

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 35 frames overflowed and dropped

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 136 frames overflowed and dropped

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 35 frames overflowed and dropped

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 69 frames overflowed and dropped

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 674 frames overflowed and dropped

idAudioHardwareALSA::Write: 790 frames overflowed and dropped

signal caught: Segmentation fault

si_code 1

Trying to exit gracefully..

--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

WARNING:Door sarcophigus_lid_1 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door FootlockerLid_3 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door FootlockerLid_4 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door FootlockerLid_5 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door FootlockerLid_8 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door FootlockerLid_9 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door FootlockerLid_11 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door FootlockerLid_2 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door FootlockerLid_12 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door FootlockerLid_13 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door FootlockerLid_15 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door atdm_mover_door_5 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door atdm_mover_door_8 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door atdm_mover_door_11 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door atdm_mover_door_6 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door atdm_mover_door_9 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door secret_door is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door arch_door_41 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:Door atdm_mover_door_3 is not within a valid AAS area

ModelGenerator memory: 134 LOD entries with 1338 users using 70493 bytes, memory saved: 799509 bytes.

--------- Game Map Shutdown done -----

Shutting down sound hardware

----------- Alsa Shutdown ------------

close pcm

dlclose

--------------------------------------

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()

I18NLocal: Shutdown.

------------ Game Shutdown -----------

ModelGenerator memory: No LOD entries.

Shutdown event system

--------------------------------------

shutdown terminal support

About to exit with code 0

No one else is getting the crash, are you running the latest version of The Darkmod, eg 2.02?

Yes. I think maybe it only happened because I walked straight from start to finish, certainly playing as normal seems to be working just fine. I'll try and reproduce the bug tomorrow, maybe its a one-off.

Looking at the log, can I ask if you have creative card and have EAX enabled? if so try the same run with EAX turned off, or dsound.ini and dsound.dll removed the the darkmod folder.

I've no idea whether I have EAX enabled, but I know I've had to do some unpleasant dances to get sound working. To begin with, I launch TDM with pasuspender to disable Pulse Audio, which always used to break things, and I remember having to fight with ALSA in the .ini file to get sound working. My sound is on-board sound, probably this one:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

I don't have any dsound files in my darkmod directory.

Alas (?), can't reproduce the crash.

Edited by Araneidae

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, playing this level for the first time and I found the armory. The arrows there are not frobable, so I cannot take them. Is it a purpose or a bug? If it is on purpose than its a bit dissapointing: got a couple of undead guys there and tooo much light to my liking :) But seriously, it kinda breaks my heart to leave the arrows behind...

I bet you closed the cage door behind you when you entered as I did. I found you can only frob them when the door is open - even if you are inside the cage.

Excellent mission btw! Any hint on how to kill Alberic?

I assume he is the ghost wandering around outside

I finished the rest of the objectives, but am stuck at that one.

Edited by grodenglaive

This new version was definitely better. Visually I don't think I remember the dense fog in the original, and the pagan wisp light things are definitely new.

Gameplay is all exactly the same (objectives) so it wasn't too hard to get through it due to what I remembered. The crypts were definitely harder. Had to be more careful down there.