The Dark Mod Forums

Translating the TDM GUI

Tels

Hi guys.

I have almost finished the translation of the dark mod and training, but I encountered 2 problems.

1-strings of the menu, as a new mission, settings, objectives, difficulties, etc... remain in English even though I have translated the file italian.lang. (the other strings are translated)

2-In any FM and also in training, if I select the Italian language, the keyboard is also set in Italian, but this way I can't in any way use keys with a chest. If I put in English, the keys work.

Edited by ECHELON

Bamberg cyrillic font: ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/projects/darkmod/add-ons/ru_test/fonts/bamberg.rar

About that 'No choice' problem… What is the exact condition for the choice to appear in the list? Should it contain at least one Latin letter or should it begin or end with one? Can it be some non-letter char like single quote or period or comma?

I have no idea, I need to investigate it. And hopefully we can fix it.

@StiFU: No, white space was the first thing I tried - doesn't work :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hi guys.

I have almost finished the translation of the dark mod and training, but I encountered 2 problems.

1-strings of the menu, as a new mission, settings, objectives, difficulties, etc... remain in English even though I have translated the file italian.lang. (the other strings are translated)

You need a new code release, otherwise this is not going to work.

Edit: I already sent you a PM with the link, did you try these packages?

Edit #2: OOH I see, the things like "SETTINGS" are bitmaps and cannot be changed yet. I am working on this.

Alternatively, you can also just send the italian.lang file to me and I fold it in. Thank you in advance!

2-In any FM and also in training, if I select the Italian language, the keyboard is also set in Italian, but this way I can't in any way use keys with a chest. If I put in English, the keys work.

I think this might be something I missed.

But I also need time to investigate why the key don't work - I think the system is designed badly - the door probably says "I work with key A" and the key says "I am key A", but the problem is "A" is in italian something else :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Edit #2: OOH I see, the things like "SETTINGS" are bitmaps and cannot be changed yet. I am working on this.

Where are located the bitmaps? I have another friend that can translate them with photoshop. ;)

Alternatively, you can also just send the italian.lang file to me and I fold it in. Thank you in advance!

This evening. ;)

---------

There is another problem. :D

I'm translating the training mission, but when i translate some box message, the text in the game comes out of the message.

I noticed that there is:

"message_long" "1"

"message_numlines" "6"

what they mean?

Where are located the bitmaps? I have another friend that can translate them with photoshop. ;)

That won't help, as then you would also have to clone the entire .gui files, and we don't really want to maintain multiple versions (one for each language). Plus, the GUI+Code have actually no real way to load different GUI files or bitmaps, either...

We really need to come up with a way to render them as text.

This evening. ;)

Cool.

---------

There is another problem. :D

I'm translating the training mission, but when i translate some box message, the text in the game comes out of the message.

I noticed that there is:

"message_long" "1"

"message_numlines" "6"

what they mean?

I am not sure, if these are the old messages done by Flanders specially for the training mission, then this means you need to look into the training mission and locate the proper script. Also, I am thinking that he ahs made a special message box GUI, too, and you need to modify this.

Translating FMs is not the topic of this thread so I cannot help you there atm. (I am already overworked)

ECHOLON send me the italian strings, and after folding them in:

TDM Language file generator v0.02  (c) by Tels 2011.

Reading strings/all.lang...
done.
Generating english.lang... done, written 17359 bytes, 449 entries.
Generating french.lang... done, written 17559 bytes, 449 entries, 121 not yet translated.
Generating german.lang... done, written 17331 bytes, 449 entries, 174 not yet translated.
Generating italian.lang... done, written 18636 bytes, 449 entries, 95 not yet translated.
Generating polish.lang... done, written 17301 bytes, 449 entries, 442 not yet translated.
Generating russian.lang... done, written 17667 bytes, 449 entries, 179 not yet translated.
Generating spanish.lang... done, written 17699 bytes, 449 entries, 296 not yet translated.
All done.

Grazie!

Btw, any of the translators. If you want more than your nickname to appear in AUTHORS.txt or the GUI credits, please send me a PM with either your real name and/or your email adress.

Grazie!

Google translate? asd.gif

95 not yet translated.

which ones?

Btw, any of the translators. If you want more than your nickname to appear in AUTHORS.txt or the GUI credits, please send me a PM with either your real name and/or your email adress.

Troiano Lorenzo, Techworld@techemail.com :D

Google translate? asd.gif

LOL, yes, but I know at least few words in italian, because it used a lot in cuisine :)

which ones?

I will make a list later, but for now don't worry too much, because most of these are things like "F1" that are not translatable, anyway. My script simply doesn't know which one it can ignore. :)

Name, email

Ok, added :)

Tels I'm sorry I forgot about the new.txt you sent last time. Here are the few strings. Are they all which is missing from the french translation?

In any case, I would appreciate if you could put the latest all.lang somewhere so that I can check whether there are differences with what I have here. I'll also use it as a reference for later trimming. And next time I'll provide only the changes (or I can provide a .patch if you prefer).

As for the credits, I'm fine with my nickname and address is faelnor at gmail

Edited by Briareos H

Tels I'm sorry I forgot about the new.txt you sent last time. Here are the few strings. Are they all which is missing from the french translation?

In any case, I would appreciate if you could put the latest all.lang somewhere so that I can check whether there are differences with what I have here. I'll also use it as a reference for later trimming. And next time I'll provide only the changes (or I can provide a .patch if you prefer).

As for the credits, I'm fine with my nickname and address is faelnor at gmail

Merci! I added the strings, your email, and also updated the package on my server (this time with the proper font DDS files... :)

(if you no longer have the link, I'll PM it to you, just ask).

As for the missing strings, there might be a few really missing, but I'd like to compile this list later - right now I still find sometimes strings that are not translatable, so the list would constantly change and I don't want to create more work for you :)

In any event French looks very complete now :)

Generating french.lang... done, written 17774 bytes, 452 entries, 78 not yet translated.

De rien !

If your link is permanent, then disregard my request, I still have it. :) So when I have some time to play TDM this week-end, I'll look into trimming the strings.

I'd like to add that once GUI localization is more or less complete, I hope the team will have time to look into merging in closed captioning. I know it's going to require changing the mission structure (and update some of the existing missions) but I think it will be a far more workable solution than trying to find voice actors.

Multi-language FMs would also be great, but I understand the difficulty to implement language-dependent custom resources.

Edited by Briareos H

Ok, I teached the script to ignore certain strings ("", "TDM", "AUX...", "F1", "320x480" etc.), and here is the result:

Generating french.lang... done, written 17774 bytes, 452 entries, 11 not yet translated.
Generating german.lang... done, written 17434 bytes, 452 entries, 99 not yet translated.
Generating italian.lang... done, written 18789 bytes, 452 entries, 21 not yet translated.
Generating polish.lang... done, written 17449 bytes, 452 entries, 369 not yet translated.
Generating russian.lang... done, written 17815 bytes, 452 entries, 106 not yet translated.
Generating spanish.lang... done, written 17847 bytes, 452 entries, 255 not yet translated.

I also updated the package on my server again, the PK4 contains now a file missing.txt with all the strings missing. From the looks of it, there are only a few strings in French missing, most of these aren't even translatable:

Missing in french: "#str_02480" "Glass Key"
Missing in french: "#str_02481" "Tarnished Key"
Missing in french: "#str_07018" "TAB"
Missing in french: "#str_07027" "ALT"
Missing in french: "#str_07028" "CTRL"
Missing in french: "#str_07032" "MENU"
Missing in french: "#str_07128" "PAUSE"
Missing in french: "#str_07130" "APOSTROPHE"
Missing in french: "#str_07188" "OK"
Missing in french: "#str_07213" "4:3;16:9;16:9 TV;16:10;5:4"
Missing in french: "#str_07311" "Total"

De rien !

If your link is permanent, then disregard my request, I still have it. :) So when I have some time to play TDM this week-end, I'll look into trimming the strings.

Please don't put much work into trimming, tho, as I haven't yet made the size adjustments on the GUI. I know a lot of things can easily be enlarged, but I was abit swamped, and on the weekend I need to work/help friends renovating their appartment...

So please wait a few days before you make yourself too much work :)

I'd like to add that once GUI localization is more or less complete, I hope the team will have time to look into merging in closed captioning. I know it's going to require changing the mission structure (and update some of the existing missions) but I think it will be a far more workable solution than trying to find voice actors.

Oh, yeah, we just need someone who has lots of free time :)

I also updated the package on my server again, the PK4 contains now a file missing.txt with all the strings missing. From the looks of it, there are only a few strings in French missing, most of these aren't even translatable:

"#str_02182"	"Mission actuelle"
"#str_02250"	"Laisser "
"#str_02460"	"Clé ancienne"
"#str_02480"	"Clé en verre"
"#str_02481"	"Clé vert-de-gris"
"#str_04126"	"Synchro verticale"
"#str_07129"	"POURCENT"
"#str_07130"	"ETOILE"
"#str_07311"	"Total"

I changed a few of those. I'm copying "Total" into the translation just to be safe. The rest shouldn't be translated.

Edited by Briareos H

Thanx, I folded them in! French is now complete :)

So, who else can translate the TDM GUI into a different language? Do we have Finnish, Polish, Dansk etc users?

I have looked into replacing our bitmaps in the menu with text. For some headings that is rather easy, except that we miss the font (called "Mason Alternative Serif"):

post-144-131013295381_thumb.jpg

but hte "buttons" (e.g. any text that highlights when you mouse over it) it is more complicated because of the two-color nature. So I figured we might do some tricky stuff with two window defs on top of each other:

post-144-131013291538_thumb.jpg

It is not a pixel-perfect copy, but it gets us very close! Another method would be to clone the Carleton font, "embolden it" by making the alpha texture a pixel wider, and then use that for the "red font" under the white. That might look a bit better.

In any event, however, changing all the GUIs is a lot of work, because instead of one graphic with highlight, you need to window defs with text,and then fade them correctly (one from black to white, the other from invisible to reddish-glow).

Here is an animated GIF that shows that the fading (it smoothly fades in the game) does actually work with text:

post-144-131013417238_thumb.gif

Now to improve the look and then change all GUIs *groan*

Can you post my missing strings? :D

The are contained in a folder called readme/missing.txt inside the language package. I can also post them here if you want?

Now, "New mission" is still a bitmap? Or is a string?

No, it's a string :) (You can see that the "E" is a bit bigger than in the other cases, it seems D3 does not freely allow to scale fonts *sigh*)

post-144-131013519602_thumb.gif

IMO it looks good enough and if you can get past Doom 3's weird way to handle fonts and manage to get everything working like this, it will be great. The main difference is that you're significantly sharper due to a native resolution but I'm not sure that's noticeable enough to try to fake a blur.

Any performance impact from using real font GUIs?

Having to write a bitmap and international version of the Mason font is going to pose a problem, still...

IMO it looks good enough and if you can get past Doom 3's weird way to handle fonts and manage to get everything working like this, it will be great. The main difference is that you're significantly sharper due to a native resolution but I'm not sure that's noticeable enough to try to fake a blur.

I am actually glad that it is sharper, because I never liked how blurry bitmaps (they are more blurrier the higher your monitor resolution is, and I run 1920x1200, that's why this sreenshot shows it more blurry than for most people).

But here is the good news:

• Take the carleton dds images, and fontimage files and copy them to a new directory called "carleton_glow"
  • Change the "red glow" version to use this font
  • Install the DDS plugin for Gimp.
  • Load the file'(and untick the "Load mipmaps" box, as we regenerate them later)
  • Use the "Select by color" tool and click on the white color

post-144-131014005374_thumb.png

• Use the "Select" menu and choose "Grow selection", use 3 pixel
  • Use the "Select" menu and choose "Feather selection", use 5 pixel

post-144-131014011198_thumb.png

• Create a new layer and make sure it is the active layer (CTRL-L)
  • Select the pencil tool, a big brush (and scale it all the way to 10x), then sweep it over the image

post-144-131014021024_thumb.png

post-144-13101402716_thumb.png

• Set the new layer to 40% opaque
  • Merge it down to the other layer

post-144-13101402464_thumb.png

post-144-131014026255_thumb.png

• Save as DDS with these options

post-144-131014030376_thumb.png

And now enjoy your new glowing red font:

post-144-131014042773_thumb.jpg

Oh, its a font, so we can use any color we want. Even garshly green:

post-144-131014041234_thumb.jpg

:D

Of course, with everything in D3, you get there only 95% - You will notice that letters like the uppercase N are cut-off at the top. So making the glow stronger makes this visible :( But its better than before and comes very close.

Any performance impact from using real font GUIs?

I guess the time from start to menu appearing would be a very tiny bit faster, because we won't need to load all these bitmaps - also it might save a megabyte or so memory. But nothing that anyone would notice.

Having to write a bitmap and international version of the Mason font is going to pose a problem, still...

Oh yeah... (I do wonder why we use that font, tho? I mean, we avoid copying the originals like the plague, but then use the "official" font? *puzzled look*)

Springheel, what would you say if we replace it with something else, would you have (freely usable) something for us?

Oh yeah... (I do wonder why we use that font, tho? I mean, we avoid copying the originals like the plague, but then use the "official" font? *puzzled look*)

We liked it? :)

I wouldn't exactly call it an 'official' font. They used it in their menu, but they didn't create it. It's a free font. Aside from that, I think it looks nice. Not sure if you're suggesting changing the english version of the font at this stage, but I would prefer to keep it.

The are contained in a folder called readme/missing.txt inside the language package. I can also post them here if you want?

If you can. :D

No, it's a string :) (You can see that the "E" is a bit bigger than in the other cases, it seems D3 does not freely allow to scale fonts *sigh*)

Great job. ;)

So, the translation is a lot easier. sisi.gif

p.s. for the font color, Italians pray to the Lord just because of seeing words written in Italian (because they do not understand anything in English), so I think that for "us" the color makes no difference...asd.gif

Edited by ECHELON