The Dark Mod Forums

Translating the TDM GUI

Tels

Ok. Do you would mind if I try to find some german voice actors? There are websites out there where you can introduce your project to a whole voice actors community and try to find someone. Hoertalk.de is a good example.

But before all of this could happen all lines must be written down. So why not using the translated lines/strings as subtitles, when the particular soundfile is played? Are there any interests in this? (For sure it needs a switch in the options menu.)

It was handled like this in the german Thief 3 version. Here is an example:

subtitles_thief3.jpg

Edited by Radiant

Getting subtitles to work was/is planned for some time, but I didn't have time to work on that.

As for the lines, we already have scripts for the English version, but so far no translations exist.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been asked already but, what's the status on getting in-game signs and plaques working..?

If ist already been done which FMs have some translates signs so I can see how its been done.

honestly, I do not think it works at current status. I tried in every way to work out the sign of thief's den but did not succeed.

I have probably to play around more with the mtr file, but i don't know the correct settings.

There are three cases:

* anything with a GUI will work (the string gets replaced when you reload the mission, changing the language during the mission might not work)

* func_statics with a model MIGHT use a skin like "skin" "#str_20000", but I do think this is not yet supported in the engine. (It could be added, tho). Changing the language during runtime would not change the skin, tho, so to see the other language you would need to reload the mission.

* any func_static with brushes, paches or worlgeometry is unlikely to work (and I have no idea if that can be made to work) because the map compile will be very unhappy if you use a texture name like "#str_20000" instead of a material shader it can use.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

* anything with a GUI will work (the string gets replaced when you reload the mission, changing the language during the mission might not work)

I just have some basic gui based patch signs that I have tried replacing the text in 'gui_parm1' with "#str_01234" in the and putting the relevant sentences in the strings file, but in-game they just show '#str_01234' etc.

What am I doing wrong?

Hm, I was thinking this already worked.

The code passes these along to the GUI untranslated, so the GUI should show them translated when they are viewed.

Do you have a small testmap?

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally went through the GUI portuguese translation and I believe all the problems with the existing version are now corrected. Tels, please just delete everything that was done before, the existing translation, and use this file only from now on, as it includes all the previous missing strings and is the one I revised and compared and corrected (any english terms are supposed to stay like that as there are no meaningful translation for them, and all imprecisions and clipping problems were corrected as far as I could find them):

TDM portuguese v3 - 20 September 2012.txt

PS: You sent me a missing strings list in January that was mostly new strings which were included in the file above, but there are two strings in there that have different numbers:

"#str_02236" "Missão carregando"

"#str_02237" "Missão carregada – favor esperar"

(Those refer to loading a mission)

In the original file you sent me those are:

"#str_02236" "Mudanças na resolução e proporção de imagem,"

"#str_02237" "ou ecrã inteiro, requer um reinício."

(Those refer to the notice on the video settings menu, that changing resolution will require a restart)

I kept the original strings as they are working right now in game.

Edited by RPGista

Thank you, RPGista!

Also, some of the strings have changed in v1.08, so that would explain your differences. Unfortunately, this means that I can't just use your file, instead I need somehow to "integrate it". That might be tricky (I don't know portuguese at all).

So I don't know when I will have the energy to add them, and it is unlikely that they make it into v1.08, but that's not my decision, either.

Maybe you could insert your new strings into the all.lang file here: http://bloodgate.com/tmp/all.lang

Please keep it in UTF.8 and send it back to me, then I can just commit it.

I do have a script that tries to sort out the differences, but it would fail is some strings have changed their meaning (say because the old strings are no longer needed). If you don't have time, I can try the script tomorrow, but the problem is I can't test it (don't understand portugues), and you can't test it (don't have v1.08). A bit unfortunate.

• 1 month later...

as far as I recognized it til now the umlauts are wörking ;)

you may ask them where this problem occurred

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

This is because the relevant fonts don't support them yet. Tels is aware of that problem, but to correct this would mean lots and lots an mainly manual work, and it would have to be done for each font. Also, when patching the fonts, it would be useful to add the French accents and those crazy Scandinavian letters. ^^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

• 1 year later...

Unearthing this old thread:

TDM has a hungarian translation, but both http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=I18N_-_List_of_TDM_translators and the AUTHORS.txt file do not mention who made it. I think the person should get the credit they deserve :)

So, does anybody know who did the Hunagrian translation? I cannot find it on the forum or in my PMs or emails.

Swedish was just added to the GUI :) Now we need to find someone who can speak Swedish and has time to translate the menu and HUD :)

Romanian is on track, too. It will use ISO 8859-16 and both the mapping and the new characters are already defined. A translator has also already be found :wub: The fonts need to be patched to include the new characters, tho.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thankfully, as this topic was last frequented in October, I hope I won't be doing much necroing.

As I've already mentioned in a few previous posts, I'd like to help out with TDM's localisation into Slovak. Primarily with the GUI for now. Some bits of it aren't auto-translated that badly, but most of it just seems like randomly chosen gobbledygook. So I'd be glad if I could contribute to a more permanent solution.

Well, right off the bat, I have a question concerning the GUI text files:

Where can I find them and is it hard to extract them ?

Or can I open them in Notepad++ or the like ?

(I'd work with a copy of the file, of course, to avoid messing up the existing version before I test.)

Thanks in advance for any tips on this.

they are in the tdm_base01.pk4 (its a zip file) in strings\all.lang in the pk4 file, you do not need to edit the gui files as the text lines are defined as str#nnnn which reference text in the lang files, you can open the all,lang file in wordpad or notepad++ once extracted from the zip file, (just tell your zip program to open pk4 files as a zip).

Excellent, I'll try it. :-) I've already read the wiki yesterday on how to edit all.lang and what to look out for, so I might give it a (test) go in the coming days, before the holidays come.

And in the last few hours, I've translated much of the GUI and HUD (pretty much all of it by now), though I've only used screenshots and a write-up in a text document. It's better to prepare these things in advance and go through them a couple of times anyway. I might start a separate topic about the translation, if you guys would be interested in clearing up any potential misunderstandings in it that I might have overlooked. Currently, I'm beginning a translation of The Tears of St. Lucia and I'll do one for the Training Mission too, once I'm finished.

• Like 1

Oh, one more thing: Is it enough if I just edit the slovak.lang file ?

Looking at it now in Notepad++, I can clearly see where the few auto-translated lines are from, while the vast majority of the text is still in English.

As a test run of the translated file, I'll write the GUI features without diacritics at first, then eventually add them once I consult the wiki in a more in-depth way. I want to avoid more serious problems with unrecognised letters.