Fan Mission #48: A Score to Settle, by Springheel (2011/07/01)

227 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission #48: A Score to Settle, by Springheel (2011/07/01) (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

3. Good (9 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

4. Excellent (31 votes [54.39%])

Percentage of vote: 54.39%

5. Near Perfect (16 votes [28.07%])

Percentage of vote: 28.07%

Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Good (7 votes [12.28%])

Percentage of vote: 12.28%

4. Excellent (25 votes [43.86%])

Percentage of vote: 43.86%

5. Near Perfect (25 votes [43.86%])

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

3. Good (11 votes [19.30%])

Percentage of vote: 19.30%

4. Excellent (20 votes [35.09%])

Percentage of vote: 35.09%

5. Near Perfect (25 votes [43.86%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Springheel

Creative Director

• Admin
  • 31,202 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

At long last, I am finally releasing my first mission, A Score to Settle. Posted Image

It's been a long road! I started this mission three years ago, when I didn't even know you could move the verts of a brush, and knew nothing about visportals or patches. I'm sure I've made every noob mistake in the book.

I have learned a huge amount from this map, and have developed a great deal of respect for anyone who goes through the entire process of building and releasing a mission.

Posted Image

A Score to Settle is a small to medium sized mission, where you set out to find and humiliate the leader of a rival gang. It is meant to be a challenge to players who are familiar with TDM, and is probably not a good mission for those still getting accustomed to TDM's mechanics (it's also not appropriate for children).

ASTS uses 1.06 features, which means that AI are capable of relighting lights. The chance of this happening goes up depending on the difficulty level you choose.
Difficulty levels also affect the number and quality of AI, the number and type of lights, and AI acuity (AI have slightly better than normal hearing on Hardcore). The difference between Casual and Hardcore is considerable.

The mission includes several video and audio files, so it is hefty at 135MB.

edit: Please follow the objectives carefully. If you don't do the "first" objective first, you'll spoil some of the story for yourself.

Hope you enjoy it! Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

Congrats on release Springheel. Am downloading now.

#3 skacky

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

Man that was a great FM, definitely one of the very best so far.
The streets architecture was complex and very well made, everything felt right and believable. I was really dragged in it. The conversations and briefing were great too. My favorite part was that little
Spoiler

The ambient music was great too, I got a huge Thief 3 vibe from it and it's something I enjoyed very much (I think T3 has the best music in the series despite the game having the flaws we all know). Overall the sounds and ambient noises were great, strengthening the immersion in the city. The drunkard's voice glitched a bit though, but that's the only thing I noticed.

The gameplay was challenging yet never frustrating.
Spoiler
and I got busted like an amateur at the very end of the mission. I saw some little bugs here and there but nothing too nasty, like brush/patch overlaps and some sky brushes on the world geometry. Everything else was perfect.

Overall it was really great, definitely one of my favorite TDM missions. I can't wait for more from you.

#4 Springheel

Creative Director

• Admin
  • 31,202 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

Thanks Skacky, glad you liked it. :)
Posted Image

#5 SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:36 AM

Yay! I was expecting this in these days.

Congrats on the release :)

#6 Diego

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:02 AM

Jaw dropping! Every aspect of it. :wub:

I've played in 'challenging' difficulty and it was pretty coherent most of the time, except towards the end. My parameter is 'how much do I rely on quick save/load and why'
Spoiler
So that took me a few retries.

I have nothing more to add.. just: Make more!

#7 Melan

Christmas Contest Winner

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:14 AM

Might this be the best mission so far? It is just great. Very high production values, inventive architecture (a convincing slum area, not an easy thing to do), a well-realised plot and some seriously tense moments. Well done, Springheel! B)
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#8 Bikerdude

FM Manager, Campaign Dev

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,681 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

Glad all the hard work paid off Springs!

#9 Shadowhide

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:59 AM

congrats Springheel ! missions from team-members is always appreciated
Proceed with caution!

#10 Midnight

• PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:07 AM

Congrats on the release!

View PostMelan, on 02 July 2011 - 02:14 AM, said:

Might this be the best mission so far?
I think so, I never tired of it in testing and I'm looking forward to playing it again! The AI relighting is a huge deal as well I feel, I hope future FMs take full advantage of this as well.

#11 lost_soul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:23 AM

I just completed it for the first time. The mission has very nice visuals (professional quality). The audio was excellent as well. I would say it is even better than TDS because the environmental sounds are directional. When I'm roaming around the streets and I hear a horse galloping in the distance, I turn and the sound fades to the appropriate direction because it isn't just baked into a background music track. That draws the player in to the world much more.
Spoiler

Bottom Line: This is another mission that should be advertised on TTLG. Just show them some screenshots of the town... How could anyone *not* want to play it?

Thanks!
License Agreement: Before you can play the game you bought, you must sign up for 6 online profiles. This way we can gather all kinds of usage data about you whether you like it or not, sell your personal information, or just lose control of it to hackers when our database gets compromised some day. Although you purchased that game, nothing is really yours and we will revoke your right to play it whenever we feel like doing so.

#12 New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:02 AM

Great work Spring. I loved playing this mission. Sorry I didn't have more feedback in the testing thread, but I'm working two jobs the last two months. It's a bit of a shock to the system to go from being self employed for the last 4 years, to self employed and 9 - 5 employment rather suddenly. lol

Anyway, great work on this mission.

#13 fllood

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

uhh :wub: second half of 2011 starts with a Bang!

Thanks completing building this aspiring work for us taffers Springheel! :)

I'm very much looking forward diving into your FM after I'm completed all the Contest missions.
"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

#14 lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

Playing now.....prof level mission, really professional.

Some little graphic problems:
Spoiler
Found a "logic" bugs with pepkin's ring:
Spoiler

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#15 Shadowhide

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

completed
screenshots :
Spoiler

Proceed with caution!

#16 Shadowhide

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

perfomance is fine,but i have looked on map in DR and see that some brushes and patches could be converted to func_static
for exapmle this house isnt sealing visportal,so if you going to make an update,i reccomend you to convert some world geometry to func_static
it will make dmap faster and perfomance higher
Proceed with caution!

#17 Melan

Christmas Contest Winner

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

lowenz, Shadowhide: please surround your screenshots with Spoiler tags.
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#18 Shadowhide

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

i dont think any of those screens spoiling anything
Proceed with caution!

#19 Bikerdude

FM Manager, Campaign Dev

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,681 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

yeah, but all the same....

#20 Springheel

Creative Director

• Admin
  • 31,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

Melan said:

Might this be the best mission so far? It is just great.

Wow, coming from you I consider that high praise indeed. :)

Playing now.....prof level mission, really professional.

Thanks everyone, it's very gratifying to see it so well received. :)

Found a "logic" bugs with pepkin's ring:

Spoiler

Posted Image

#21 Bikerdude

FM Manager, Campaign Dev

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,681 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostShadowhide, on 02 July 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

if you going to make an update,i reccomend you to convert some world geometry to func_static
We did a bunch of that, but as you know mappers get burn-out when working on the same mission for too long.

#22 Fieldmedic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

As others have said: Truely a masterpiece!

The only downside I can come to think of is...

Spoiler

#23 Mortem Desino

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

Holy awesome! I haven't finished yet, but this mission definitely makes my top 5! :D

A lot of work, a lot of love, and a lot of thought went into this, and it definitely shows. Thanks for the release, Spring! :)
yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

#24 Fidcal

Lead Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

Congrats Spring - I only just found this thread. :) Glad to see greebo's already mirrored it. Likely I want read this thread again until I get to play this through. Unless I get stuck of course. ;)

#25 Fidcal

Lead Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

Very enjoyable and looks and plays great but some glitches and confusion and feedback...

Spoiler

I'll resume tomorrow. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users