The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission 48: A Score to Settle, by Springheel (2011/07/01)

Springheel

74 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

It's been quite a while since I enjoyed an FM this much. The amount of detail is astonishing. A map in the beginning would have been helpful cause you can easely go in the 'wrong' direction. Apart from that I don't have any remarks. I hope we don't have to wait another 3 years for you next FM

That's a question of computer power, though. Until I upgraded my PC in late 2009, I could only run TDM on my laptop, and it didn't work with anything higher than 800x600 resolution. And the street segments in the St. Lucia demo were still a horrid slog.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Berny, What are you computer specs..?

MSI P43 Neo-F

CPU: Q6600 @ 3Ghz

Ram: 4GB DDR2-800

Grafic: Zotac GTX260AMP²@670/1440/1100

Storage: WD black 640gb + WD blue 320gb

Win 7 64bit

So, I nonclipped the map till the part when it crashed and played the end. It was a very very enjoyable mission!! I liked it very much. The best thing was the perfect sound! Really, I love it. Also the videos and the amount of quest was good (I completed everything).

But I didn't like the fact that there was nothing big to explore. 4-6 enter-able houses would be nice, but it's also ok like it is.

Edited by Berny

Few questions for those who have played:

The mission has a few little colourful bits that can easily be missed, and I'm curious whether a lot of people saw them or not.

Did people see the archer eating carrots in the kitchen?

How many people were propositioned by the whore?

How many people went through the front door, and which of the three routes did you take to get there?

The mission has a few little colourful bits that can easily be missed, and I'm curious whether a lot of people saw them or not.

Munch munch much.

"Go away! I'm wurrrking."

How many people went through the front door, and which of the three routes did you take to get there?

I stacked a few crates and fancy-mantled over a wall to a back courtyard.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Answers:

No. Missed that.

I was! :D Then I ran from a guard nearby and when I came back she told me to get lost :~

Backdoor :P

Yes.

No.

Back alley, mantled up to the ledge, then navigated along the fences to the back entrance.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

missed it ;(

Oh, I K.O. ed her ^^

back door ;)

Now this mission I really loved ! From the slowly reducing candle at startup to

the thief who rushed me at the end when I thought I'd bumped them all off ( maybe it was me but I can't remember seeing him around when I checked out the area he was in )

Brilliant , brilliant mission which I intend to play again

I never was propositioned by the whore , so must have missed an area somewhere

Top marks Springheel , wish I could have got into some of those doors , maybe this mission could be expanded on in the future?

Saw him crunching away

Snuck by her so didn't hear much of what she said.

I went over a fence and through the backdoor after taking care of the guards up front.

Missed

the archer and the whore somehow. Went straight in the front door past the fire taking out all the thieves with head shots in the process , got very nifty at that even if I do say so myself !

That's why I intend to play it slowly ( and properly ) next time. Very replayable. Thanks again.

@Springheel

Cannot remember any particular carrot eating...

Yes, met the whore and she spoke to me :)

Tried the front door but realised it would be impossible to enter there because the brighty lit door that needed picking I recall. (No killing here!)

So I went around to the alley and climed over the bent fence, and walked on the supporting beams and over the wall.

Nope, I was trying to avoid that guy.

Couple of times, once I was asked if I'd like some company, other time I got told to go away

Once during the first beta release I think, but that involved getting my murder on, and given how easy I find the sword combat, I prefer to never use a weapon for anything other than candle relocation via broad head.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Nope, was too busy trying to get AI to re-light candles and torches!

Yes, she put the 'lift skirt' animation to good use.

Yes, I climbed up the vine (near the well), creeped around the ledge, jumped to the wooden platform and leapt from the stairs to the balcony on the right before sneaking in.

Edited by Midnight

Simply put:

This is the best mission TDM has been blessed with thus far. I was totally sucked in. Everything was perfect.

The starting cinematic was cool, but you could have made the cam movements (according to grayman's cutscene tutorial) more smooth. This had this choppy multiplayer spectation feel.

At first I was puzzled that I was told to go to a certain street and I had no map, but looking at the objectives luckily gave a rough direction to choose.

I climbed to the back yard and went in from there.

The new animations gave the experience more real feeling.

The torture room was scary. I expected a zombie ambush me, but this wasn't my mission so that didn't occur. ;) I found the ring, though.

In the bad guys room I clambered on the bed and gave the distinguished lady some BJ and once she was out of the picture it was the baddies turn. And then the baddie was tossed into the toilet.

I made my exit via the balcony the ocn-speaking archer visits. Shot some moss on the ground, shot a water arrow on the bonfire. The guards started to lit it up and I made my escape.

The sudden alert the baddies went to was not a big issue. I just hid until they gave up looking. Then I went forward.

I found a gas arrow in the attic, and got rid of the torch bearer and sneaked in the house.

There was a problem. The ending cutscene stuttered somehow and I could not make any sense out of it. It was like the main menu music was playing on top of it or something. I had to load (back to the bad guys room) and noclipped to the end room. Now the cutscene worked like it should.

I did wonder that why on earth that had to be a cutscene? Why not let the player "play" the escape himself. The guy would have opened the trapdoor and let the player down, few conversation barks and that's it.

At any rate. This is the first true killer mission for TDM. All mappers! Look at it. Absorb it. Learn from it. See the way multiple entrances were used. See the use of conversations. See how the AI came to life with simple extra path_anims here and there. See how the plot flowed without awkward jamming and stuttering. See how there were no keyhunts.

This mission is an example for everything in TDM map building (except for the .roc cutscenes, I would have used just the ingame conversation/cutscene system).

I gave max gradings in all categories.

And finally a bit OT, but.. Howsabout some more animations? ;)

When an AI goes to alert, it would make them look more real if they turned their heads looking around and being alert. Now when the AI reaches the "stand and stare" alert level, he just stands there and looks forward like a robot. If he would look around it would look more natural.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

All mappers! Look at it. Absorb it. Learn from it.

Rest assured, I was burning with envy all the way through. :D

Rest assured, I was burning with envy all the way through.

LOL...

That said you and Springs are both very/annoyingly chaotic mappers(as in not keeping things neat grid-wise, large WS at no lower than grid4 and so as you get smaller). I had the same 'hell of a time' issue fixing his leaks as I did/do yours, little slivers, overlapping, meh...:P Whe I started in SH map I thought to myself ' if I am used to Melan's maps how bad can it be... ':laugh:

This is the best mission TDM has been blessed with thus far. I was totally sucked in. Everything was perfect.

Wow, thanks Sotha. As the author of my two favourite missions, that means a lot! :)

I did wonder that why on earth that had to be a cutscene? Why not let the player "play" the escape himself. The guy would have opened the trapdoor and let the player down, few conversation barks and that's it.

I was having way too many problems getting Gridley to follow conversation commands. I couldn't even get him to properly look at the player during the briefing...he kept looking off to the side, so I had to just remove that command. I tried to get him to walk to a specific place for the final scene and he wouldn't do that properly either, so I had to fake it for the video.

Thanks for the details...I quite enjoy hearing about the routes people take and what they experience while playing.

Tried the front door but realised it would be impossible to enter there because the brighty lit door that needed picking I recall. (No killing here!)

Actually, it's not locked, just hard to get to and you never know when the archer is coming out. There is one way to get to it that doesn't require passing the lamp.

Maybe someone will find it on a replay. :)

That's why I intend to play it slowly ( and properly ) next time. Very replayable. Thanks again.

Thanks, I tried to make each difficulty level slightly different to increase the replay value (assuming you're playing a harder difficulty than the first time...not much point in going easier). There's 4 additional AI between Casual and Hardcore, and a number of lights are different as well.

And finally a bit OT, but.. Howsabout some more animations? ;)

Yep, been working on a few new ones lately. A new idle and some combat anims for torch-carriers.

Now when the AI reaches the "stand and stare" alert level, he just stands there and looks forward like a robot. If he would look around it would look more natural.

Yes, I have a hands-on-hips animation for AI who have put their weapon away and are looking around before giving up. But it needs some code support to call it.

Finally back to my home computer and just played this :) I enjoyed it quite a lot. I thought it was a bit on the easy side until:

The guys started searching for me with torches. That put a nice twist on it.

I only missed around 100 loot or so, but didn't find a use for the guy's key. So I'll have to go back in and explore a bit more.

A couple AI were missing head textures, rendering their heads completely black.

I haven't yet read any of the previous posts, but will do so. I'll also check for possible upper case letters causing a problem in Linux.

I have a feeling that the missing heads (Sykes and the guy in the hallway nearby) are due to me having had unpacked some head models from TDM 1.05... those unpacked files must be causing a conflict with the current .pk4

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

You might be missing some 1.06 files, Pran. You mentioned the forger being black too...all those are textures in the 1.06 update.

Unless you have old .mtr files overriding the 1.06 ones...model files wouldn't do it, but material files might.

At any rate. This is the first true killer mission for TDM. All mappers! Look at it. Absorb it. Learn from it.

A Score is Set :D :D :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

This is a really superb mission with nice videos. :wub:

I didn't notice a whore or do you mean the one in Sykes' room shouting "There's a thiiiiiieefff" ? :laugh:

Perhaps we can make a deal: His key is for the door where he left a note.