Photo

Fan Mission 48: A Score to Settle, by Springheel (2011/07/01)

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission 48: A Score to Settle, by Springheel (2011/07/01) (72 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.39%])

Percentage of vote: 1.39%

3. Good (12 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Excellent (41 votes [56.94%])

Percentage of vote: 56.94%

5. Near Perfect (18 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Good (10 votes [13.89%])

Percentage of vote: 13.89%

4. Excellent (31 votes [43.06%])

Percentage of vote: 43.06%

5. Near Perfect (31 votes [43.06%])

Percentage of vote: 43.06%

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.39%])

Percentage of vote: 1.39%

3. Good (15 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

4. Excellent (28 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

5. Near Perfect (28 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2207 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

tiped a long text but after accidentally pressing the wrong button, all got lost .. so I am just gonna say: great! :blink:
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#77 BrokenArts

BrokenArts

• PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

Good job there Spring. Had a lot of fun, the audio was killer, and really enhanced the mission, all authors, take note. Audio drags you in, as others have said. I usually wear headphones, being partially deaf, I have to, it was a real treat. The black jack was my friend in this, I loved, loved watching the AI relight a snuffed out candle. So well done, made him a bit more vulnerable to a black jack! ;)
Looking forward to more, MORE!

Man Skyes, he's a sick bastard!

I missed the archer, yes I was propositioned, yes on the front door. Video's were great too!

#78 PranQster

PranQster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

You might be missing some 1.06 files, Pran. You mentioned the forger being black too...all those are textures in the 1.06 update.

Unless you have old .mtr files overriding the 1.06 ones...model files wouldn't do it, but material files might.

I haven't tested it, but I did have several materials/*.mtr which I had previously extracted. I deleted them and will check the game later.

Yep, that was the problem. I haven't checked the forger yet, but Sykes and the guard outside his room now have faces.

Edited by PranQster, 11 July 2011 - 09:55 PM.

pranqname.gif Linux pranqster 4.14.44-desktop-1.mga7 #1 SMP Fri May 25 18:06:35 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#79 BrokenArts

BrokenArts

• PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:17 PM

You could of assumed Skyes just cut off their faces. :o :P ;) He is after all a sick bastard.

#80 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2207 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:51 AM

Which flames do I have to extinguish to see the AI relight it? I only heard them mumble so far.
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#81 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5664 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:16 AM

Which flames do I have to extinguish to see the AI relight it? I only heard them mumble so far.

I had a tight moment in the
Spoiler

Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#82 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37756 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:19 AM

It depends which difficulty you're on. On Casual they don't relight many...
Spoiler

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#83 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2207 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:19 AM

Thanks - will try that out on expert (man I never played a FM this often) :o

€DIT: Hehe same time post :D thanks fpr the tip!

Edited by SeriousToni, 12 July 2011 - 06:21 AM.

#84 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

Haven't finished the map, but what I have seen so far is very cool.

Unfortunately, it seems quite a few small technical mistakes made it into the mission. There is a part of a house missing (one can see the sky through the corner), and quite a few z-fighting places. I can post screenshots is you are interested, Spring.

In addition to that, when you load the mission, the console says:

WARNING: ConvertLWOToModelSurfaces: model 'models/darkmod/misc/clipmodels/cauldron_cm.lwo' has bad or missing uv data
WARNING: Couldn't load image: sleeve
WARNING: Couldn't load image: sleeve_frill
WARNING: Couldn't load image: tail
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/common/shadow_bak
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/decals/figure_shadow01
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_candle_01_lit2' on 'atdm_moveable_candle_01_lit2_1'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_candle_01_lit2' on 'atdm_moveable_candle_01_lit2_3'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_cheese_wedge2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_cheese_wedge2_1'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_cheese_wedge2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_cheese_wedge2_3'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_1'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_2'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_3'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_4'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_5'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_7'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_8'.

Not sure what's up with the latter, probably just some typos, or where there .def files not shipped with the FM?

And of course we still have way too many overly-blurry textures, but that is a TDM issue :)

Aprt from that, as I said, brilliant. :wub:
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#85 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

In addition to that, when you load the mission, the console says:

WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_candle_01_lit2'
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_candle_01_lit2' 
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_cheese_wedge2'
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_cheese_wedge2' 
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' 

There is a reason your getting the errors, its a known issue. I logged a bug tracker 02733 for it ages ago and if I'm brutally honest its bloody annoying, as it causes no end of grief because on so many bloody occasions I have had to go in and correct/rename said entities etc.

#86 Sir Taffsalot

Sir Taffsalot

• PipPipPip
  • 1549 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:06 AM

Just brilliant! After seeing the intro movie and the loading screen, turning from day into night, I was expecting something special. You didn't disappoint. This really pushed me to my limits. Very challening. I managed to finish it on the hardest level in under 2 hours. The city looked great. Although it seems a shame to have such a big city and not be able to interact with it. eg windows to rope arrow up to. Maybe I didn't spend enough time exploring it as the large amount of AI kept me constantly on the move. But that kind of thing is great for loot objectives. It felt like the majority of the loot was in Sykes's attic. But this was still 2 hours well spent. it had the perfect balance of great architecture and gameplay.

I know you do a lot of work on the dark mod itself but I hope you find time to make more FMs. Thanks for this Springheel.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

#87 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

That was sweet. Especially I liked ingame videos. It was very realistic by first person camera at the end. AFAIR you were trying to figure out managing roq video. So, how did you do that? I mean is there any easy way for mappers can do?

#88 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37756 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

Thanks. :)

I'm not totally happy with the quality of the videos, but you can follow the process of learning how to make them here: http://forums.thedar..._1

Basically I just captured in-game scenes with fraps, edited them with Windows Movie Maker, and then converted them to .roq with switchblade.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#89 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:42 AM

thanks for that. I'll re-read that stuff when I need it on my mission. :)

#90 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9508 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

I've posted the link everywhere except here at it's source...

Fixt.

Springheel Interview:

http://www.moddb.com...gheel-interview

Edit:

Adjusted the first reply per the request below.

Edited by nbohr1more, 26 July 2011 - 01:31 PM.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#91 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13902 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

Wonderful interview...however...

I'm the Artistic Lead for The Dark Mod, and the only active developer who has been with the mod from the very beginning.

Hope this doesn't seem petty, but even though I haven't contributed anywhere near the same level as you Spring, I still consider myself an active developer. Sporadic though it may be...I've also been here from the very beginning. :)

I'm certainly not fishing for a shout out, or to be recognized in the interview...it's yours and you deserve to have every ounce of praise heaped on you for all the sweat you have put into the mod, but perhaps it would be more accurate to say, "the 'most' active developer who has been with the mod from the very beginning"? The way it's worded now just makes me feel like the things I did manage to contribute in the last few months meant nothing.

I don't contribute anywhere near the same volume, nor do I ever see myself being able to, but I do contribute when and where I can. I'm extremely proud of having revamped the blackjacking system, adding the extra blackjack immunity settings to the SDK, and co-developing the bow aimer with Dram. I also took the reigns of the HDR project and got it focused into something that fit the mod. It took a long time to get my mental and physical health back to a level where I could even concentrate on those projects...so it would just be nice to feel like I still exist. lol

#92 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:22 AM

woah, when were you unwell NH..? well happy your feeling better now!

#93 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13902 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:14 AM

woah, when were you unwell NH..?

Started spiraling down around autumn 2007 and finally pulled out of it in the summer of 2010.

#94 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37756 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:30 AM

I still consider myself an active developer. Sporadic though it may be...I've also been here from the very beginning.

You're right. I meant to say the only one of the original "department leads" who was still active in that particular role, not active overall. But it does sound misleading the way I phrased it. Maybe Nbohr can adjust it?

#95 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13902 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

You're right. I meant to say the only one of the original "department leads" who was still active in that particular role, not active overall. But it does sound misleading the way I phrased it. Maybe Nbohr can adjust it?

:laugh: Sorry Spring. I hope I didn't come across in a bad way.

Once again, great interview and well deserved!

#96 Flanders

Flanders

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1122 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

I just love this street:

http://www.moddb.com...mages3#imagebox

http://www.moddb.com...mages2#imagebox

http://www.moddb.com...mages1#imagebox

http://www.moddb.com...images#imagebox

Just wondering, where did you find the inspiration for it?

#97 Eldrad

Eldrad

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

I cannot find Gridley's but I did find Galloway Road. I have ran back over every inch of the road, tested all the doors, mantled onto every high area I could get too. Going to restart it and see if there is a glitch. Does Gridley's have a sign? Is it marked some way?

#98 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37756 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:44 AM

I just love this street:

Yes, you probably would. :) A lot of the buildings on that street came from some old prefabs you did a few years ago.

I have ran back over every inch of the road, tested all the doors, mantled onto every high area I could get too. Going to restart it and see if there is a glitch. Does Gridley's have a sign? Is it marked some way?

Spoiler

#99 Flanders

Flanders

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1122 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

Yes, you probably would. :) A lot of the buildings on that street came from some old prefabs you did a few years ago.

Prefabs? I'm not aware of any such prefabs I made.

#100 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37756 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

I'm pretty sure they were yours (otherwise I credited the wrong person in the info text!) but I'd have to go back and check. I used some of Squill's old ones as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users