The Dark Mod Forums

Promotion and what-not

Shadowhide

Reap and Siege Shop still haven't even been made available to the in-game downloader.

I think that has something to do with who does that job as they are probably very busy and no one has told them that there are new missions that need to be added.

EDIT: I just checked and Reap as you Sow is available for download but Siege shop is not. Also the latest verion of Winter Harvest needs to replace the one currently available for download.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

This kind of ill-consideration, combined with some of the recent arrogant, flippant and cliquish commentary

You're going to lecture us on "arrogant" and "flippant" commentary? Wow, that's rich.

Is there anyone here who's told more people to "fuck off" than you? http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12423-melan/page__p__250398__hl__melan__fromsearch__1entry250398

I think that has something to do with who does that job as they are probably very busy and no one has told them that there are new missions that need to be added.

EDIT: I just checked and Reap as you Sow is available for download but Siege shop is not. Also the latest verion of Winter Harvest needs to replace the one currently available for download.

Yeah, the few people who are left working on the core mod are extremely busy. Also, IIRC Fidcal and Greebo are the only once that can do this kind of work. Maybe New Horizon can do it, too. I don't have access to thedarkmod.com at all.

So maybe you should send them a PM, I am sure they are happy to add the missions. ;)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Seige Shop is not showing up in the downloader because the link posted goes to a .zip file, rather than a .pk4 file.

You're going to lecture us on "arrogant" and "flippant" commentary? Wow, that's rich.

Is there anyone here who's told more people to "fuck off" than you? http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12423-melan/page__p__250398__hl__melan__fromsearch__1entry250398

Wow, just went through that thread what a douche.

Seige Shop is not showing up in the downloader because the link posted goes to a .zip file, rather than a .pk4 file.

:o OMG, did I do that??? Crap! I'll fix it.

Ummm.... the only link I posted is to my .pk4 file. Don't ask me about the one posted at Mindplaces, I had nothing to do with that. But it makes me think that maybe the wrong version of the mission is posted there..?.. because the only versions I had as a .zip file were the early pre-beta test versions.

Hmm... both contain the same bytes. Not sure how the one posted on Mindplaces got re-named as a .zip. Any ideas, Fidcal?

Now, back to the subject. Time to download Shadowhide's new mission release.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I wasn't being flippant at all. I was telling all the right people for all the right reasons to seriously "fuck off". :laugh:

I stand by what I said there and then and I stand by what I've said here.

Go fuck yourself and stop posting. My opinion. Douche

TDM supports mission .zips, but they won't show up in the built-in downloader.

Yes, a .pk4 is just a renamed .zip.

Not sure how the one posted on Mindplaces got re-named as a .zip. Any ideas, Fidcal?

The entry on the webpage has only one link and it's to a .zip, so I'm not sure what version that is or how it got there.

Sorry, only just read this. :):blush: I've been sidetracked in the last month or so taking a break writing a fanfic and even now I'm not fired up. I won't say I'm burned out - I'm just finding it hard to get enthusiastic on a new mini-FM.

I've not even had time to play the last few FM releases or even look at the threads.

The idea with the official downloader website was that they were supposed to be 'approved' FMs that at least approximated the Dark Mod universe and didn't include blatant copyright issues. That means in theory at least a cursory play of the released FM (although sometimes more recently I've just uploaded without checking with the intention of just deleting if someone points out a transgression later.)

In addition, it's possible for FMs to get released with glitches and then re-released a few hours or days later so I prefer to wait a little especially with larger FMs and especially at the end of a month when my own connection bandwidth is running low (remember it's triple - download changed FM then upload it again to at least two mirrors.)

I think there are only three or four of us who can currently add to the downloader page. Greebo is away, SneaksieDave is less involved these days. I did think Tels could but maybe I'm wrong. That leaves only me.

For now all I can do is make a note and try to do the missing one(?) later today if possible. :)

I think there are only three or four of us who can currently add to the downloader page. Greebo is away, SneaksieDave is less involved these days. I did think Tels could but maybe I'm wrong. That leaves only me.

As far as I know, I have no access. And even if I have, nobody told me :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Any team-member can add missions to the website, can't they?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11393-mission-archive-administration/

Reap and Siege Shop still haven't even been made available to the in-game downloader.

This kind of ill-consideration, combined with some of the recent arrogant, flippant and cliquish commentary (quite contrary to the once and future promote-every-chance-we-get practice that gave rise to the moddb push), sure seems a perfectly lovely way to accomplish what I always thought nbohr was (rightly and thankfully) up to...

Or, rather, not.

It seems pretty fucked up to have new FMAs subjected to such disregard.

Or, rather, it is pretty fucked up.

if it hasn't been said before...

The Team's Job is to promote THE MOD. Promoting individuals FM's falls more on the authors than the team members. People had NO problem promoting their own FM's for years at TTLG. There was NO ONE else to do it.

The team (some of us, can't say me) who are still working are still busy improving the mod. Give them a break.

nbhor is the one who did all the Moddb push/work. So it's not the team's fault if your fm didn't get posted and you can't blame him for stepping up, volunteering and doing a lot of great work there for us. If he missed, didn't get to something whatever. Give HIM a break. Maybe PM and ask nicely if he can get around to it.

Obviously you have some entitlement issues. You're getting all pissed off before even finding out the facts and now it comes out that the links were a MISTAKE.

Give us a break!

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

After some internal discussion we reached an agreement that the current Moddb setup it good. As said many times, Moddb is meant to promote the mod by displaying the best content possible to new users, weather that be fan made or team made. If your fan mission is not displayed, rather than being upset, try improving your map or your next mission to be of superior quality. Ask for help or clarification if you need too, but do it in a mature manner. If anyone creates a fan mission which is of excellent quality as deemed by the mod, you can guarantee it will be recognized and featured on Moddb. But this is done so at our discretion.

Also please respect the mod's ability to identify which FMs we want to represent the mod to the public and that we volunteer our free time to help make this mod what it is. If there's any inconsistency it's because we don't have enough time to dedicate to the mod to achieve perfection. We aren't super heros so sometimes mod work does get pushed back or ignored for a while. As Baddcog mentioned there's lots of work going on behind the scenes which you guys don't know about. We've got the mod to where it exists as of now, please trust our integrity and intelligence to design it.

I like suggestions if brought up in a mature manner, but the general tone of this thread is far too negative to be constructive imo.

I would like to say, in defense of the TDM team, that I have been acting pretty much autonomously for recent Moddb updates. I have been given some freedom to post updates and I take that responsibility very seriously. This has been an easy task when quality or exemplary missions have been released back to back to back.

When "Winter Harvest" was released, ShadowHide did not provide a mission briefing or any promotional details in his thread.

Seriously, what am I to do with this as a mission description:

Hi

Time to release my firts mission,seasons contest entry, Winter Harvest

Don't expect much,this is my first mission

So I took a brief stroll through the map (I was very busy at home at the time) and then waited on player reactions. The general feedback was fairly negative. I had settled in my mind that Winter Harvest would be a poor representation for the mod and didn't want to abuse the privilege I was granted by promoting a poor mission. It was only after ShadowHide expressed severe disillusion about his work and Baddcog affirmed that I had permission to promote the mission that I relented. I wasn't going to ask the team for permission to promote Winter Harvest because I didn't think it was worth the controversy. I still felt bad about posting that article even after getting approval. Believe what you will about my personal agendas with regard to ShadowHide, I know for a fact that any new player trying Winter Harvest WONT get the intended Dark Mod experience. It's not really a Dark Mod mission. It's more of a Mod of a Mod. Which is just fine if ShadowHide goes to Moddb and created his own Mod page and then cites that he is an off-shoot of The Dark Mod. But to represent TDM with his mission is very questionable. The second version has been improved but still that concern lingers. I suppose that it's good to show that TDM is a flexible environment in the same way that Thief 2 could be expanded to do all sorts of weird variations of game-play. I just think ShadowHide should have promoted his work in a similar fashion as Oscar Winkler's Mod of The Dark Mod does.

All I can say is that the recent accolades for the V2 edition have removed a weight from my shoulders over potentially spoiling TDM's image. Maybe that seems elitist but I imagine that you should grant the TDM team prerogative to keep their representation up to snuff. If some mission author creates an anti-Semitic mission will the TDM team then be obliged to hang that drawing on their Fridge just because the TDM platform was chosen?

Does "Reap as you Sow" fall into the same category you ask? In my opinion, it does not because you are still fundamentally tasked with avoiding the guards. The daylight element makes it obvious to players that the play mechanic needs to be adjusted... it's a HUGE clue even without Fieldmedic's considerate (and lengthy) explanation of how to play his mission. It may be a little rough on the implementation side, but it is really a natural extension of the TDM way into the realm of daylight.

Admittedly things like "quality" "story" "visuals" and even "performance" can be subjective measures to evaluate missions for promotion. I think I am within reason to play a mission a little before splashing it all over Moddb. If the mission is not playable for me then I have no idea what I am promoting. Aprilsister seems to be put-off by what appears to be a snub of PranQster's work. I can only say that I made a judgement call and felt that the poor performance on my system would hit a reasonable amount of the potential audience. If the TDM team feels that the minimum hardware requirements for a mission should be something that can play the current version of Siege Shop at high FPS then that means a good proportion of potential players are excluded. I can even live with that. The last I knew, (however) the official stance has been that Tears of Saint Lucia is the performance yardstick. Siege Shop is so far heavier with regard to performance I couldn't honestly see it as a good representative of the mod. Now that PranQster is going to revisit his performance issues, I don't see any reason to exclude his revised mission from a Moddb update. It was already a well received mission.

So there you have it. No need to assign any malice towards the TDM team. You can direct your anger at nbohr.

Feel free to hurl those tomatoes now. ^_^

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)