The Dark Mod Forums

Just bought Deus Ex Human Revolution...

Trickster

So the Director's Cut is some graphical improvements and AI improvements? Is there any new content to the game, like additional missions?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

So the Director's Cut is some graphical improvements and AI improvements? Is there any new content to the game, like additional missions?

It fixes the boss fights in the game, which was everyone's main problem with the game.

Plus, it comes with the missing link DLC, which is essentially an additional mission.

Hm it appears to fix textures and lighting as well (so I'm told by a friend who's already downloaded it), buuut... it's a separate game? I'm having to download the whole thing again, and I'm told it exists alongside dxhr and missing link? They couldn't have just fixed the original game? Confusing.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Hm it appears to fix textures and lighting as well (so I'm told by a friend who's already downloaded it), buuut... it's a separate game? I'm having to download the whole thing again, and I'm told it exists alongside dxhr and missing link? They couldn't have just fixed the original game? Confusing.

If you buy it on steam under the same account you own the normal HR game, it will be applied to that game as if it were DLC, and it will also get a decent discount i believe.

As far as why they made it seperate, im not entirely sure. Likely it was either due to them wanting money for developing the next DX game or some other different reason.

I guess so. However, there are supposed to be significant changes to the AI as well, so all in all this is worth its 4 EUR for me.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

• 1 month later...

As happens with current (or I guess last) gen games, I'm late to the party. Got the Directors cut for 5 Euros during the Steam Sale, played a bit (Steam says 96 minutes) so far.

I'm not really invested in the whole scenario so far, genetic engineering, robotic augments... this reeks like it will get awfully moral later on, and it's just a topic that I in general have no real interest in. Also so far the whole world seems to be a lot less dark than in the first one (plague, destroyed Statue of Liberty right off the bat), except that everyone seems unreasonably smug now. I always liked Denton from the first game, he was just professional, trying to get the job done, but also showed emotions in adequate spots (e.g. when talking with his brother in the second level). Jenssen seems more like a slightly cynical teenager to me, as do a few of the other characters so far (the IT guy, the SWAT officer). His love affair with the science lady seems kinda shoehorned in and like it might just be used as an arbitrary plot device.

To the gameplay: The intro sequence in the labs made me kinda pessimistic. I really don't like it when games make you witness the deaths of a bazillion other people and yet you are unable to interact with them in any way (Half Life did it well, Black Mesa even better). Just a minor gripe though I guess. The bigger problem was the combat. I really dislike cover based shooting (the "press X to glue yourself to a wall" type), and especially if it means arbitrarily changing camera perspectives. Not only does that break immersion (not THAT important) but it is really irritating control-wise. There always is a split second the camera needs to change where you can't move, and once you can you still have to clunkily aim again and shoot, whereas in a normal fps I would have just stood up and fired right away (since I'm mostly trying to be stealthy, I'm ducked 80% of the time in a combat area anyways). I just refused using the cover system in that Prologue sequence, and the game really isn't meant to be played that way. Guess I'll just have to accept the cover shooting.

After the prologue though the game suddenly got good. Exploring the offices was really fun and I felt like I was back in DE1. I'm not really sure whether I like that it has a negative consequence if you take your time there, as it actively discourages it, but then again in this case it was quite believable and fit the situation. I'm also not sure whether I like that they made that hint back at DE1 with that comment about the ladies bathroom. It was neat in the first one, but here it seemed like fan service. Nothing to really complain about though. I also liked when I threw a box at the SWAT people and they started shooting and chasing me. I escaped them and made my way into the first real combat area, equipped only with a stun gun and a can of beer.

That's when the game became kinda painful again. I didn't mind the first guards, just slipped by them over the roof, not after goofing around a bit though. I tested out the range of the stungun (not very long) and the AI's acuity. Felt like I was playing Tenchu, as the AI didn't seem to be able to see me when I was on the roof above them, at least not until a missed taser shot alerted them. A nice thing I think I saw was that the guy woke up the other one I stunned before. I just ignored them as they were trying to shoot me through the roof and went on. The next room was really confined and full of guards though, and things didn't go as well. Turns out you REALLY have to use the cover system. Not only is the whole stealth aspect based around it, but it would seem that Jenssens "uncovered" hitbox is messed up. I was ducking behind a box as the enemies were shooting at me, but somehow they hit me. They were clearly somewhere on the other side of the box, and I couldn't see them. I was even looking up (meaning that my eyes must have pretty much been the highest point of my body, and they were not peeking over the box), but still they shot me (I even saw the point of impact, as there was blood splashing out of it, and it was clearly above me in the air).

To summarize:

-Story and setting seem meh, not really bad, just kinda bland

-cover based combat and stealth feel clunky and restrictive

-Non-combat areas actually seem pretty well done

I think I'll have a go at it again and maybe I'll just get used to the cover system. Seems like a waste of the potentially good other thing otherwise. Maybe I'll just go with super babby easy mode.

Edited by MurcDusen
76561198061377149.png

To summarize:

-Story and setting seem meh, not really bad, just kinda bland

-cover based combat and stealth feel clunky and restrictive

-Non-combat areas actually seem pretty well done

I enjoyed it rather a lot despite its shortcomings. I suffer from complete Monochromacy (completely color blind) but I still really enjoyed the level design and visuals. It feels very near-future, and the soundtrack is brilliant. Gameplay-wise it's very easy unless you impose a handicap on yourself, and even then is fairly simple to just wander around and bash people's heads together. It falls apart at the end, dumping decent gameplay for narrative and even going so far as to just give you a machine that lets you choose your ending with a few buttons. David Cage eat your heart out.

They really crippled themselves by trying to make every area accessible for every playstyle in that there's always an easy way to get in or around somewhere regardless of what skill you pick, rendering the rest redundant. Visually it's novel and pretty great, but in terms of gameplay it's just too easy to coast through whether you go loud or quiet, thanks to the oblivious AI and Death Star building design. The story is simple and the moral elements are basically void, given that it's not something we're dealing with at the moment. New smart phones and rickety military wobble-bots are hardly impeaching on existential design.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Started playing this yesterday, and i was quite amazed. What a nice game world. :) Also really like the cover system, and that you can go all stealth in it, which i'm gonna do of course. And although the game is pretty modern by any standards, it has that Deus Ex feeling about it. If you played the 1st part, you will most likely feel at home. Really looking forward to play this through now.

• 2 months later...

What will NEVER fix :(

Director's Cut version of the game is more a "Director Rush" release :D

See the Eidos forums about that, we're waiting since the first update for a second, "final" patch.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Alright. I think i don't have the Director's Cut, never ran into issues in the game. Though i would have hoped they cut the boss scenes out. I mean, you skill all stealth augs, do a non-lethal approach, and then it's all for the waste when you have to do the boss fights. :laugh:

Btw, people who want to buy it now, take care... it just went from 4.99€ to 9.99€, because the first sale has ended, and now it's only 50% off instead off 75% off as it was before...

Edited by chk772