The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Samhain Night (v.3.3 update) by PranQster (2020/03/01)

PranQster

I am having the same problem. I cannot read the book, and now that I tried it, I cannot drop it, clear my inventory nor can I do anything else.

:( I'm sorry. Damnit! Does anybody know what the fix to that book issue was? Shadowhide, what did you do to fix the book in WintersHarvest?

I ran into this in SiegeShop, but the book I had trouble with is a ststic, non-movable book. I looked at it's properties and there are no spawnargs out of the ordinary for any readable.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Why am I not experiencing this book reading problem when others are? I have been through this mission dozens of times and I can pick up the book, read it at will, and drop it when I want. So far there are two reports of the book reading bug which Shadowhide had in the original WintersHarvest.

Check if you have included the xdata entry in the file you packed with the mission.

In Reap I had one book entry in a xdata-file that belonged to a different mission. While playing on my computer, it went all well, but as the entry didn't make it to the packed version, everybody experienced bugs with the book.

So

Open XXX.xd and search for the entry that this particular books refers to. Does it exist?

Why am I not experiencing this book reading problem when others are? I have been through this mission dozens of times and I can pick up the book, read it at will, and drop it when I want. So far there are two reports of the book reading bug which Shadowhide had in the original WintersHarvest.

If all else fails you could try re-downloading the mod and starting the mission from that copy instead.

Check if you have included the xdata entry in the file you packed with the mission.

In Reap I had one book entry in a xdata-file that belonged to a different mission. While playing on my computer, it went all well, but as the entry didn't make it to the packed version, everybody experienced bugs with the book.

So

Open XXX.xd and search for the entry that this particular books refers to. Does it exist?

Oh crap I think I see what happened. For a long time, this mission was named simply 'j10'. My xdata_contents points to 'readables/j10/looters_book', which still exists locally... hence why I can see it just fine.

Fixing now.

Oh crap I think I see what happened. For a long time, this mission was named simply 'j10'. My xdata_contents points to 'readables/j10/looters_book', which still exists locally... hence why I can see it just fine.

Fixing now.

Can you make a note at the beginning of this thread that there are spoilers visible if you keep reading. Takes the surprise factor right away.

Can you make a note at the beginning of this thread that there are spoilers visible if you keep reading. Takes the surprise factor right away.

Will do. Thanks. The mission is updated. I was missing some readable data which was pointing to an old renamed folder which did not exist in the release.

Sorry for the screw-up, all. Lesson learned the hard way. I need to be more careful when re-naming my missions from the short development name, 'j10' in this case, to the final name. I could have, or rather should have just left the readable xdata file with the original name and included it instead of re-naming it like my mission.

Edited by PranQster

sorry about that. /fixed/

tongue.gif

i downloaded the mission 10 minutes ago and im still having the book-problem ^^

and the game crashed when i ran through the last door in the crypt...

When you downloaded that, was it a first-install, or did you get it previously. If you had it already, make sure to delete the /doom3/samhain/ and /doom3/darkmod/fms/samhain/ directories before reinstalling.

Or it could be that McPhisto2051 got the mission from the downloader and Greebo didn't have a chance to upload your latest (and presumably last) fix?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

i took the ingame dl and had no other version before...

damn where did u hide all the loot?

im missing 1600...

Heh. I hid it :)

There are 4 doors which open from the crypt. If you finished then you had to have opened 3 of them. 1 more remains... check around the sarcophagi

By the way, I'm testing a new build right now. In case anyone else experiences a crash, I made my entire map a prefab, made a new map, loaded in that prefab and saved it. I had to do the same with my first mission due to a freeze when AI went on alert.

I'll upload the new version (as a .zip file to be renamed to .pk4) in a few minutes. If any others get a crash, I'll replace the current samhain.pk4 with the new one.

Edited by PranQster

Can I get some more pics? I will start playing the FMs in May so if you could upload some more amazing pics to feed my imagination, I'd be grateful. Put it in spoilers so that noone complains. Thank you!

Here's a few more. I'm going to refrain from posting any which are too much of a spoiler.

post-3285-131827946141_thumb.jpg

post-3285-131827947108_thumb.jpg

post-3285-131827947943_thumb.jpg

post-3285-131827948108_thumb.jpg

Edited by PranQster

If anyone experiences a game crash to the desktop (not the book problem, that's already fixed in the link in my first post), get this version. It's a re-compiled new map. Maybe it will work better.

samhain.zip <<< rename it to samhain.pk4, delete both /doom3/samhain/ and /doom3/darkmod/fms/samhain/, and re-install this version.

If anyone experiences a game crash to the desktop (not the book problem, that's already fixed in the link in my first post), get this version. It's a re-compiled new map. Maybe it will work better.

samhain.zip <<< rename it to samhain.pk4, delete both /doom3/samhain/ and /doom3/darkmod/fms/samhain/, and re-install this version.

I look forward to playing this mission, even though I suspect I'm going to have to deal with undead, heh....not my fav! :D I think you've also made a very strong case for always, always, always having at least one other person beta-test. :)

I look forward to playing this mission, even though I suspect I'm going to have to deal with undead, heh....not my fav! :D I think you've also made a very strong case for always, always, always having at least one other person beta-test. :)

Agreed! I thought I could get away with it since everything tested so well on my machine and I had played through so many times. The re-naming of the xarg file was a big mistake since I forgot to update the book spawnarg to the new path (but my TDM didn't know since the original file was still in place). I was also unaware of the .gui file which was created when I made name signs to go above the tomb doors.

What also surprised me was that I thought that Nosslak's plaguemask.pk4 would load right in if I had placed it in my FMs base directory. I thought those contents loaded as though they were in the /darkmod directory.

I apologize to all of the unwitting beta-testers and thank you for bearing with me! :)