Creeps, The. Halloween Speed Build 2011  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Halloween element, Storytelling and consistency

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio use, mood.

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars

thecreeps.png

The Creeps

By Mortem Desino

Available via the In-Game Downloader (approx. 60 MB)

It crawls upon human minds why some are bound up in grave sins.

For what does it profit a man if he remains devoted to the nether creatures?

Surely such deeds shall earn no portion from the Lord Builder.

Such a man has destroyed his high place in Heaven.

--Bishop Deifer, Letters to the Builder Clerics

This is a small experimental gameplay FM, exploring a few shock/creep/horror capabilities of TDM.

It was designed to be played but one time: so give yourself some time to explore a relatively small space.

Updated to v1.01 -- July 7, 2012

• Like 2

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Congrats! :D

I hope I can sneak a peek at this one this evening.

(Nice that it's already in the downloader :laugh: )

I'll add a wiki entry. (Done)

Added a TTLG thread:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137346

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Enjoyed this, some interesting stuff you did, and liked the interesting "sounds" (yes, we'll call it that for sake of spoilers) you used.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

This was cool, having the thief talk to himself like Garrett. You need some good corny one-liners.

I liked what you accomplished in a small area. It was very easy climbing around buildings with narrow ledges.

Great mood music and sounds. It really added a lot to the atmosphere and gameplay.

The dude at the end was a bit of a bugger.

I was about 700 short in loot, so I will have to go back and look for more.

Nice mission, really! :D

Great atmosphere, really creepy, I enjoyed a lot.

And I think this is the BEST packaged and presented mission for TDM: great mission presentation (old style, intense!), video audio and video. Also the loader, cute!

A quality model for future mission packaging.

The audio comment on game in first person

, was really cool. Thanks for this devotion, and these emotions, you really rock! :-D

Edited by Ladro

Short but..... sweeeeeet! That was really cool.

I expected a trap when I went for the crown, so I crept behind it and grabbed it from there. When the ghost appeared, I was already backing up behind a pillar and the ghost didn't see me for a little bit. But it did see me soon after... I ran my ass upstairs as fast as I could. You made me jump when that part collapsed.

I missed just under 800 loot, so I'll have to go back in and find it.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

This sure gave me the creeps!

I really like the autumn feel of it, the dead leaves everywhere, falling from the trees... The gradual scripted scenes and small, disturbing sounds are a great way of advancing through the map, I specially liked the windowed hall before getting into the storage area of the house, where the candles fall off, or the sureal skulls that appear and disappear on the plates in the dining room... You are left alone exploring those empty spaces and it sets the mood very well, this sense of lonileness. Buts it's when you go into the well and through the tunnels that this really shines, some brilliant moments of freezing terror, with the first apparition, the angry tremors, and finally the evil spirit itself. When I saw it the first time through the screamings Irealised it was hurting me so I fled like a little kid through the place, blindly looking for the exit (in fact, it's pretty fortunate there's just an obvious single hall as a way out, if it meant running through a sort of maze or black corridors, this would be even scarier).

An awesome display of scripted effects and animations that were as good as some of the best moments in F.E.A.R, makes me think what you could have accomplished with a full blown horror mission, without the time constraint. The only issue for me was the overall architecture, that even with some nice moments (the tower with the chandelier, that windowed hallway, the tree patio area, the crypt), was also a bit too bare and simplistic at times, of course due to the time thing, but that's my only possible criticism. Or maybe another one, even though the overall idea of a strange family that likes doing the occasional profane rituals in the crypts below their house was a nice one, there was barely any texts explaining what they do, why they do it and why it would all go wrong like that (maybe the rituals woke up some entity?). Of course the final part shouldnt be advertised at all, but I think more information on the family and their reasons would be great, it took me a few seconds to realise the dead people were actually them, for example (right?), and not some poor passers-by killed and dragged there, or something like that.

Amazing work, really enjoyed this.

Replayed it again, and came up 230 loot short.. questions

What is the old chest key used for?

What does the machine in the tower do? I suspect it opens something somewhere, but after running through twice and then using noclip, I couldn't find anything different when using the machine, or the lever... is it just to activate the windows you leave that tower through?

What is the old chest key used for?

What does the machine in the tower do? I suspect it opens something somewhere, but after running through twice and then using noclip, I couldn't find anything different when using the machine, or the lever... is it just to activate the windows you leave that tower through?

That's for an old chest that, evidently, I accidentally left lockpick-able. Oops.

Check the well. Originally, I recorded a soliloquy that said "*sniff* hmm....smells a bit like sewer in here..." I left it out in an effort to make the player keep exploring.

Well butter my biscuits, I never even found that attic. All loot apart from that was found, and my old friend tdm_show_loot got me to the attic, for 100% completion. Btw, loved the skulls on the dinner plates.

Five stars across the board from me - definitely the best "small" mission I've played on TDM.

The aesthetic was spot on - could have done five stars in the seasonal contest as well with the leaves.

You've got to tell me - for a simple opening "quote" intro, how did you make it and add it to the level? I would love to see some more like this - maybe seeing that kind of intro for more FMs would win over some doubters who say that TDM "just isn't Thief."

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

A very nice mission in such a small place. Graphically, it is top-notch, notable especially for the lighting and small effects. Those are really nicely done and give the mission a surreal charm. It would have done well in the season contest since it conveyed the feel of Autumn very well. And the plot is really Halloweenish, somewhere between child's tale and horror. It made me think of Saturnine's Rose Cottage (although it is obviously much, much smaller).

This contest continues to impress me - so many good missions under only one month! :ph34r:

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Hmmm... I made a huge mistake - is it possible to withdraw my vote? I voted 3 stars for "Aesthetics" but I was thinking on the architecture only, which I thought was a bit simple at times, but now that I actually made the effort to READ the rest of the description, I see now that it also includes lights, sounds and mood, what makes my vote pretty damn stupid... How can I change that? I DO want to change that, not just express it here, as it simply doesnt do the mission justice (I'll also blame my mistake on the bright font :) ).

Hmmm... I made a huge mistake - is it possible to withdraw my vote? I voted 3 stars for "Aesthetics" but I was thinking on the architecture only, which I thought was a bit simple at times, but now that I actually made the effort to READ the rest of the description, I see now that it also includes lights, sounds and mood, what makes my vote pretty damn stupid... How can I change that? I DO want to change that, not just express it here, as it simply doesnt do the mission justice (I'll also blame my mistake on the bright font :) ).

You should have a "Delete my vote" option... no?

I have to agree with Melan.

The lighting effects in this mission are outstanding. The faked AO is also quite nice.

I hadn't inspected closely but I suspect that Mortem added some of his detail textures shaders (thus the size of the mission)?

Now I admit to my problem:

I cannot swim below a certain level in "the well". Thus, I am stuck. (literally and figuratively...)

I hadn't inspected closely but I suspect that Mortem added some of his detail textures shaders (thus the size of the mission)?

Now I admit to my problem:

I cannot swim below a certain level in "the well". Thus, I am stuck. (literally and figuratively...)

Unfortunately, no detail textures. Filesize is mostly due to the the roq video, sounds, and leaf textures ~ 53 MB uncompressed (!).

Re: Problem -

Perhaps there's a way to pump out the water?

• Like 1

You should have a "Delete my vote" option... no?

Actually, all I can see is: "You have already voted in this poll"... Looked everywhere, a word search doesnt show anything. Maybe the new layout changed it?

Edited by RPGista