The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Night To Remember by Fieldmedic (2011/10/30)

DeTeEff

41 members have voted

1. 1. Halloween element, Storytelling and consistency

2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, etc. Versus Bugs. Frustration. Boredom, framelag...

3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, Audio use, mood...

This is the 1st Halloween TDM fan mission I played so far. I give it a 5,4,5. The 4 is for the ghosts since I was really far away from them and still got damaged. I found the lever in the master bedroom, but I have no idea what it does. I'm guessing it has something to do with the "optional" objective for gold, but I sure can't find it.

How do you write spoilers in this forum anyway?

I see the twitter icon up there, my iphone has one too, but I havn't even explored that...yet... I wonder if it would help now that I decided to give FM building a 2nd try, but with TDM...?

Edited by acolyte6

(Not on my machine, In Europé, but it works excellent )

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Onboard is:

CPU: Intel Socket 775

VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260

RAM: DDRIII 16Gb

HDD: 2 Tb

All service packs and latest drivers installed.

This is the 1st Halloween TDM fan mission I played so far. I give it a 5,4,5. The 4 is for the ghosts since I was really far away from them and still got damaged. I found the lever in the master bedroom, but I have no idea what it does. I'm guessing it has something to do with the "optional" objective for gold, but I sure can't find it.

How do you write spoilers in this forum anyway?

I see the twitter icon up there, my iphone has one too, but I havn't even explored that...yet... I wonder if it would help now that I decided to give FM building a 2nd try, but with TDM...?

The lever is controlling whether the trap below the floor is activated or not.

To write spoiler tags, start with "[spoiler_ ]" and then "[/spoiler_]" without the" _"

Edited by Fieldmedic

I don't see anyone else having problems so I must be doing something wrong.

After getting the "chase the thief" objective, I leave the room and hear footsteps, but I have no clear sense of where they're going. I've tried three different routes now but the mission just fails after five or ten seconds. Am I missing something or am I just supposed to keep trying different doors until the mission doesn't fail?

I don't see anyone else having problems so I must be doing something wrong.

When you leave the study, turn left, run down the hall, make another left into the now open door to the servants quarters, follow the footsteps (keep running - there are deadly ghosts) on the floor. When you get down the stairs stop and look down by the knocked over barrel, pick up stuff, then run following the footsteps...

After getting the "chase the thief" objective, I leave the room and hear footsteps, but I have no clear sense of where they're going. I've tried three different routes now but the mission just fails after five or ten seconds. Am I missing something or am I just supposed to keep trying different doors until the mission doesn't fail?

Onboard is:

What just happened, that was supposed to spoil!

Onboard is:

No problem, I had my suspicions that the start of the chase would be problematic. At first I tried to make a model spawn and run into the servants quarters, and then disappear, but it didn't work properly every time so I went for a sound que and took the risk of frustration and this seems to be the biggest complaint of the mission :)

BTW on a different note, I cannot navigate in the textbox on the forum with the arrow keys. The marker just disappears :unsure:

For the cursor issue, that sounds like a browser issue. Usually helps to restart it :)

If you have IE8 I recommend installing IE9. I found a lot of bugs in 8 & 9beta...

Onboard is:

This is a great, spooky mission.

The room you're looking for is a secret area under the stairs in the east wings. The switch to that compartment is located inside the trophy room, the room with the sword and arrows.

I only found some wood in the storage room under the stairs ?!

In the master bedroom there are some readables in the bedside table but I can't read them. :huh:

BTW: Where's the oil for the freezer ?

Edited by id3839315

I need clearer instructions, apparently.

follow the footsteps (keep running - there are deadly ghosts) on the floor.

I don't see any footprints on the floor. I went into the area with that ghost (which caused me to die the first two times), grabbed two letters and ran out into the hall to read them. Read something about a key. The ghost was just standing around in the entrance hall so I couldn't go back anywhere in that area without dying, so I went to explore downstairs and the mission promptly failed. What exactly am I supposed to do?

I need clearer instructions, apparently.

I had the same problem.

Follow the footsteps. From the study, go left. Then left down the hall. Then left down the door that opens.

You only hear the footsteps in the beginning and you should run to be faster than the ghost.

... the only place you can go is the study and from there you are herded to chase the other intruder. The chase should be quite straightforward exept the first turn when the intruder darts left into the arch way (servants quarters). This is the "hardest" part of the chase, after that you cannot go wrong, as it'll be easier to detect the open doors and later he'll be tip over a barrel with wine and from there he'll be making foot prints. In the servants quarters you'll be making your first encounter with the ghosts...

Total instructions from start to finish (not a loot-through though)

From start to the chase is complete.

Go to the study

Go to the opened book case, the supposed blueprints are stolen.

Leave the study, go LEFT down the corridor. About 7-8 meters, there is amall arch and an entryway to the LEFT, the door was locked before, but now it's open. Go inside, AVOID the ghost down the corridor to the right and instead dart through the door to the left. You now stand in a small corridor with a staircase down. Go down and you'll hear the culprit rambling around down there. When you come down you shall go out the farthermost door and then you'll see a tipped over barrel and the lockpicks on the ground along with a purse. From here there are footprints on the floor and all you need to do is to follow these through the locked door, through the dining hall, into the big hall and into the west wing to where they stop, in front of a locked metal door. The chase is now complete and the piano should be playing a melancholic tune.

Where the heck are all the keys? or...How do I open that door?

Master bedroom key - On the floor among some coins in front of the metal door.

Library key - On the small pedistal by the stairs inside the library. The bottom library door is pickable.

Tea room key - On the wall in the kitchen.

Art room key - On the dead lady in the library.

Hatch key(The hidden hatch UNDER the mat of the master bedroom) - On Cromwells corpse in the study.

Trophy room key - There is no key, the door will open by ghostly means when you go through the corridor AFTER the chase is complete.

Conservatory key - In the freezer.

What about this hidden hatch?

If you go to the servants quarters (the place where you encounter the first ghost) you'll see three doors. The leftmost is to the butlers bedroom and in his desk is a book with hints towards a hidden stash underneath the floor of the master bedroom. To have read this readable is vital to be able to find the compartment.

Go to the master bedroom. Go into the alcove with the bath tub. The mat will roll up and reveal a hatch in the floor. Make sure the switch on the fireplace is in the lower position, or else the trap will kill you down there. Then use the hatch key and drop down and collect three golden ingots.

Why isn't there any thiefing equipment? I need a weapon to kill things!

First off, you weren't planning on robbing the Cromwell estate in the first place. You received a letter from your blackmailer and you are compelled to steal the blueprints and to make it look like a robbery. So you don't have any particular thieving equipment or weapons but besides, who would you try to kill? The only reason to be armed is to kill the priest and the sword, among some broadheads are in the trophy room on the east wing.

Where is the oil?

There is a note on the board outside the kitchen where Molly state that she has moved the oilflask to the art room.

A map would be nice...

There actually are two maps. Look in the guest room upstairs on the west wing, the one opposite the bath room.

What about this storage area under the stairs in the east wing?

This room is located in the small corridor between the tea room and the trophy room, beside the door to the toilet. It's a hidden door that is controlled through the lever inside the trophy room.

EDIT: Added more

Edited by Fieldmedic

What about this hidden hatch?

If you go to the servants quarters (the place where you encounter the first ghost) you'll see three doors. The leftmost is to the butlers bedroom and in his desk is a book with hints towards a hidden stash underneath the floor of the master bedroom. To have read this readable is vital to be able to find the compartment.

Go to the master bedroom. Go into the alcove with the bath tub. The mat will roll up and reveal a hatch in the floor. Make sure the switch on the fireplace is in the lower position, or else the trap will kill you down there. Then use the hatch key and drop down and collect three golden ingots.

I die

whether switch is up or down.

Is there something else I should have done first?

Yes, this is my favourite one in the contest. I liked the mood so much. It could be much more better, but it's okay to left some for other authors. :)

Details on geometry are almost unbelievable for me to made in this short time period of the contest. You build outside of the mansion just for eyecandy right? It has no function at all except leaving. I mean player could leave by another way without trouble of building that much detail. Dining room was great too. It reminds me Resident Evil somehow. Lightning was the most suitable weather effect for the theme, and you placed them on right places where it can alert AI. I noticed custom piano record and it suited well with the mood. Apart from these, ghosts were terrific and extremely dangerous! They always caught me off guard, lol

Rating:

Halloween -> 5 : That was nice catch of the halloween theme! Besides, pop-up notes were plus.

Gameplay -> 3 : I died couple of times beyond walls. That was disturbing. Too many keys and limiting the player by locked doors were unnecessary. Rest was awesome for me. I have played it more than once which is very rare for me. :)

Aesthetics -> 4 : So beautiful, but not pure beauty. I know there is a open door on improving visuals on darkmod. That's why I give 4. No worries, I'm equal on this critism for all other entrants.

I smiled after I frightened. It was different experiment on darkmod. Thanks for that. :)

Thank you Siyah!

The outside could have been given more attention but as the time constraint went on I couldn't make more improvements on the outside. As for gameplay and keyhunts and frustration parts I shot for a free roaming part after the thief chase. It's hard to make a mission in a mansion like this especially in this horror setting because you may wish to make certain scripted elements and maybe you don't want all these things to happen BEFORE the player has done something special, in this case chase the thief...Glad you liked it :)

My next mission will also be sort of a mansion heist but less halloween/horror theme :)

Finished this up last night and have to say its one of my faves despite the small trouble with the

hatch.

I missed a statue and a painting for loot but went back in and got them so got all the loot and stealth of 1. I loved your weather effects and the mansion itself. The story flowed nicely and your ghosts were awesome. After dieing when she passed to close I treated them like any other AI and watched for their pattern so they didn't give me any more trouble. The tension & spookyness were there but I didn't get a full out Halloween feeling.

Thanks for a great mission. Look forward to your next one.

The size and quality of your missions are really impressive considering they're all contest missions and have a deadlline. I also love the fact that you try and do something different and break the mold. One thing I would like to see is if you can create a non standard TDM map but still find away to incorperate the elemental arrows. I miss not being able to use them in your two missions in a row.

The mansion looked very beautiful. Lot's of nice little details here and there. The gargoyle fountains outside, he inventers modern art.I loved just standing in the entrance and lsitening to that lovely piece on the piano and listening to the storm outside. The thunder made lock picking a lot more challenging. A bit frustrated with the ghosts at first, giving me damage when i was close yet I couldn't see them on the other side of the door or wall. Working out thier patrol routes sorted that out. Could have done with some health potions. if they were there I didn't find them.

I found the story a bit odd though. If the ghosts want me to help them eg the help me find my murderer before you leave" notes on the doors, then why are they attacking me? Did I miss a readable because there was no way of knowing that the lady in the library had a key on her. I checked her once and obviously missed the key. If not for reading this thread I would have never gone back to search her. Also why did the priest kill everyone except me? I think the decapitation was unrealistic. While I can accept the priest being a killer I think the beheaded bodies is more the act of a serial killer. Not a man of faith. Also I found two switches I have no idea what are for. One on tjhe model zepplin and on in the trophy room. I hear doors sliding but where they are I do not know. Not sure if i can finisah this FM either as I'm missing a lot of loot. I'm playing on expert. the loot must be very well hid.

It was nice to have a good mansion FM. Although not my favourite type of FM I think TDM does need a few more mansions. I really can't wait to see what idea you come up with for your next FM. Thanks for your hard work.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Thanks for the feedback!

Remember to use [spoiler_] not [spoilers ] (without the "_") ;)

The reason for decapitaded bodies was because I didn't get the time to manage to create the ghostly heads. I figured out how to change the skins on the female ones, just some week before deadline and by then there were more important stuff to do :)

The switch in the study opens up the book case just behind you. Shame on you :)

The switch in the trophy room opens up a door beside the toilet whereas you'll find lots of goodies.

Edited by Fieldmedic

Hmmm I finished this mission a while back, I guess I should vote. When I played the creeps, i thought for sure MD had this contest in the bag, but now i'm not so sure at all. Your alternate storytelling experiments worked out about 10000000x better than reap, this mission was aweeeeesome. (not perfect, but really damned good). Yes, some might argue that player movement restriction is annoying in TDM context, but I think this is a major stride in visual storytelling FM's (which I have no problem with, at all). I friggin loved it.

Giving this a 5 - 5 - 4.

I'm only giving the halloween element category a 5 mostly because the "storytelling" element of it was priceless, not because it evokes halloween (its pretty scary though).

I really think this is probably the most fun I've had playing a TDM FM, even if it wasn't traditional thieving fun. Other than getting gameovers for walking the wrong way, or the icechest bug(confusing), I looooved playing this FM!!

New Fieldmedic FM's are now officially high-priority on my playlist.