The Dark Mod Forums

Fan mission: House of Theo

Theothesnopp

Where is the King's Gold? I guess it's on the third floor, but i dont have the key to open the two doors. Where do I get the key to open the doors? And what's behind the first door you face after you go to the first floor by elevator, near the armory? I also can't open it, because of not having a key for it. Help would be greatly appreciated! :)

you need a key to get to that room, and the keys for the doors in the third floor corridor, can only be found inside the rooms.

find an alternate way in.

About the gold and first floor room, come back to me once you've gotten yourself into the other rooms first *hint hint*

• 4 weeks later...

I just played it again on easy which it's supposed to be easy but it was not at all. Some guards are just sharper than normal.

Complexity (connection and design of rooms) of castle is amazing which makes it realistic. It's the best part of the mission imho. Another good part is difficult loot placement and lighting. They kept me stressful many times. :)

Bad parts are; same ambient music became boring after a while. You should mute and change it time to time. Texturing was bad in some corridors but that's not big deal. I couldn't frob a yellow key in the drawer not sure if it was crucial.

I haven't found all loots actually I was recording a walkthrought it in just my second attempt! but some sharp hear b*tch AI screwed it. Maybe I'll try again later.

Thanks for the big effort. I enjoyed mostly. :)

Edited by SiyahParsomen

• 2 weeks later...

I just played it again on easy which it's supposed to be easy but it was not at all. Some guards are just sharper than normal.

Complexity (connection and design of rooms) of castle is amazing which makes it realistic. It's the best part of the mission imho. Another good part is difficult loot placement and lighting. They kept me stressful many times. :)

Bad parts are; same ambient music became boring after a while. You should mute and change it time to time. Texturing was bad in some corridors but that's not big deal. I couldn't frob a yellow key in the drawer not sure if it was crucial.

I haven't found all loots actually I was recording a walkthrought it in just my second attempt! but some sharp hear b*tch AI screwed it. Maybe I'll try again later.

Thanks for the big effort. I enjoyed mostly. :)

Im trying to figure out how to play around with the ambient music, pauses, custom music and change of tracks etc.

would be cool to see a walkthrough, seeing as i know pretty much where everything is, i can't be suprised by a guard and whatnot.

cool to see how others play my mission.

Im trying to figure out how to play around with the ambient music, pauses, custom music and change of tracks etc.

would be cool to see a walkthrough, seeing as i know pretty much where everything is, i can't be suprised by a guard and whatnot.

cool to see how others play my mission.

Changed my mind. Walkthroughs are boring w/o commentary. FenPhonenix started to Let's Play darkmod mission recently. I'll leave that to him. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Love the name for the mod, reminds me of something, like something I read in a thief mission before or maybe in Morrowind.

The image has some discoloration at the bottom of it and its a bit dark, but otherwise it does well to tease us with a unique look of dusk at a castle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm trying out the DarkMod FMs for the first time recently, and this is my very first post on these forums. Please be gentle.

My sincere apologies if this is one of those "newbie idiotic moron" questions, but this FM is one of the first DarkMod FMs I've played, and I can't seem to figure out a slight problem.

Is there any way to either eliminate altogether or drastically reduce the background music for this FM? I find it extremely overpowering, and difficult to hear important other sounds to allow for more pleasant gameplay.

Any advise, tips, or downright answers would be very much appreciated.

Hi, I'm trying out the DarkMod FMs for the first time recently, and this is my very first post on these forums. Please be gentle.

My sincere apologies if this is one of those "newbie idiotic moron" questions, but this FM is one of the first DarkMod FMs I've played, and I can't seem to figure out a slight problem.

Is there any way to either eliminate altogether or drastically reduce the background music for this FM? I find it extremely overpowering, and difficult to hear important other sounds to allow for more pleasant gameplay.

Any advise, tips, or downright answers would be very much appreciated.

Yes, go to settings, audio and then scroll down the ambient music slide.

Well, I completed the mission and just wanted to say thanks to the author! I'm definitely not considering myself a DarkMod expert yet, but I'm getting more comfortable with it as I play the FMs (I've only played a handful so far). Since I'm so new to TDM, I don't feel comfortable giving any criticism, as I don't feel I'm qualified or deserving to do so. But, I can positively and enthusiastically say without reserve that your mission helped me to learn the mechanics and my own play-style for DarkMod FMs. Thank you!

Edited by bassmanret

Well, I completed the mission and just wanted to say thanks to the author! I'm definitely not considering myself a DarkMod expert yet, but I'm getting more comfortable with it as I play the FMs (I've only played a handful so far). Since I'm so new to TDM, I don't feel comfortable giving any criticism, as I don't feel I'm qualified or deserving to do so. But, I can positively and enthusiastically say without reserve that your mission helped me to learn the mechanics and my own play-style for DarkMod FMs. Thank you!

I'm honored to have popped your tdm cherry, welcome to the community and keep your eyes open for my new incoming mission :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the nice mission. I had to turn off the music for that one, somehow it felt very loud when I was trying to concentrate on the footsteps. This is the first TDM mission to give me a real vertical feeling, I loved being able to use rope arrows at the start.

It is true that for a castle, it feels a bit bare but I immediately justified that by thinking that Theo must not be as rich as he's made out to be -- that or he's stingy. If I can be immersed like that, it means the setting works!

Architecturally speaking, it shows that this is your first mission but there are lots of good ideas. I would also suggest a higher ambient value for room lighting, some of the rooms absolutely need the lantern to navigate. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice mission. I had to turn off the music for that one, somehow it felt very loud when I was trying to concentrate on the footsteps. This is the first TDM mission to give me a real vertical feeling, I loved being able to use rope arrows at the start.

It is true that for a castle, it feels a bit bare but I immediately justified that by thinking that Theo must not be as rich as he's made out to be -- that or he's stingy. If I can be immersed like that, it means the setting works!

Architecturally speaking, it shows that this is your first mission but there are lots of good ideas. I would also suggest a higher ambient value for room lighting, some of the rooms absolutely need the lantern to navigate. Thanks again.

Good guess, Lord Theo has no time for meaningless clutter, he must keep his mind on millitary means.

I'm glad you enjoyed my humble fm,

alot of people seem to think that the loss of furniture and clutter is a bad thing, i beg to differ :)

allthough some areas were way too empty.

• 1 month later...

The mission was enjoyable and I really liked how one thing led to another for example getting the keys to get access to more rooms. Though castle seemed a bit empty, it's those details that give a brilliant atmosphere to it - objects in the halls would do the trick.

I have one BIG complain though. The music is just terribly LOUD. It was so loud I could easily hear clipping, not to mention not hearing my own footsteps or guards what they're saying - your not the first case to have done this by the way. Just try to check your music amplitude before putting it in.

Overall I'd say 3/5.

tzl1l.png

Oh by the way there was one golden key in the Lord Theo's drawer, which I couldn't pick up no matter what I did. I tried shooting it with arrows, drop objects on it, jumping around it like a monkey, but just couldn't get it. Is it a bug, if so where should it open the door to?

tzl1l.png

Oh by the way there was one golden key in the Lord Theo's drawer, which I couldn't pick up no matter what I did. I tried shooting it with arrows, drop objects on it, jumping around it like a monkey, but just couldn't get it. Is it a bug, if so where should it open the door to?

The key leads out of the room, you have to lean in to get it. I don't know why i dont update, it would be done in a couple of clicks and a dmap + test. im just so darn lazy :P

The mission was enjoyable and I really liked how one thing led to another for example getting the keys to get access to more rooms. Though castle seemed a bit empty, it's those details that give a brilliant atmosphere to it - objects in the halls would do the trick.

I have one BIG complain though. The music is just terribly LOUD. It was so loud I could easily hear clipping, not to mention not hearing my own footsteps or guards what they're saying - your not the first case to have done this by the way. Just try to check your music amplitude before putting it in.

Overall I'd say 3/5.

You can set the ambient music volume in the options menu. Making the ambient music volume right is always hard for a mapper, as there are possible different setting by the players. x:

Edited by jysk

• 2 months later...

I recently walked through this map. I also really liked the outer terrain very much like pusianka already said it.

What I missed was a map, because on of the stairways looked really similair on all levels. Beside that, the lightning in the hallway in the upper levels near to Otto's room is cool.

I think this map can also be improved by different backgroundmusic. I get bored by the same title on and on after some minutes.

• 1 month later...

Doing a bit of catching up with FMs the last few days while playtesting 1.08. I enjoyed this FM quite a bit. The architectural layout was pretty confusing, which kept it interesting. The only negative point I have is related to the objective about learning who leaks information.

I missed the book necessary for the objective because it looked the same as all the other junk-books before. I had to look here for a hint where the objective is and started frobbing everything in that room then. A good approach would be to only use open books / scrools as readables or objectives. Maybe something to consider in the future.