The Dark Mod Forums

Fan mission: House of Theo

Theothesnopp

That sunset is like watching myself in the mirror, how could one not look and be hypnotized. Ahhhhh Oh yes thieving I was just getting to that. The castle looks like a castle which is a big plus in my book :)

Its weird that there wasn't a throne room or big banquet hall. Ah I must be stuck on other castley FM's.

+BEE-A-UTIFULL

+Enchanting ambience, although a tad to loud for me as a ussually play with loud sound to simulate my superior hearing

+Fairly long

+Story is straight forward, clear goal, with a little moral tinge to extra readables you find.

+A bit extra loot for those who like to scour the place

-Backdoor key... didn't need it.

-No murder allowed

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished this mission on difficult.

Things I liked:

+Gorgeous view of the castle from outside.

+Awesome and unusual setting.

+It felt like I was playing Thief: The Dark Project. :)

+ Excellent use of light and shadow.

+Readables are nice.

+Ambient music is good.

+Nice interiors.

+The use of rope arrow.

+Very few water arrows make things more challenging!

+Good amount of guards and non hostile NPCs.

+Quantity of loot necessary to complete the objective on Expert is good.

Things I disliked:

-I started without a sword, and even though there was some lying around, I couldn't pick them.

-The default ambient music volume is too high.

Some bugs:

-I found two barrels with some objects above them, and when I picked that objects and drop them on the top of the barrel, they passed through it.

-http://img689.images...9/9817/qbr4.jpg :This guard entered in a loop trying to climb the stairs, getting back, and doing it over and over.

Conclusion:

This mission was very fun to play.

Nice job Theothesnopp and thank you!

Edited by Jon Irenicus

• 1 year later...

Just replaying some of the older missions and noticed

the key is still unfrobable in the drawer. I tried noclip, leaning, every which way and couldn't pick it up. It wasn't a problem for me as there's the other way in & out of the room so this is just an observation.

Congrats on your release thehtesnoop.

Will play it in the near future hope fully, Time permitting.

Hay. I thought I had played this before some time in 2011 perhaps.

Edited by Tr00pertj

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Just replaying some of the older missions and noticed

the key is still unfrobable in the drawer. I tried noclip, leaning, every which way and couldn't pick it up. It wasn't a problem for me as there's the other way in & out of the room so this is just an observation.

I had that too, when I played it not that long ago.

I just used noclip everytime to circumvent the door it should unlock, but that needed knowledge which door that key unlocks (read it here)

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

This is a really pretty level. The first time I tried to play it I got turned off by the deafening ambient and gave up, but I'm glad I gave it another shot. Because it gave me some really strong Thief 2 vibes, which I always like.

Figuring out the objectives was tricky but not unfair.

Many of the puzzles involving guards were just pure, old-school sneaking so that's another big thumbs up!

Spoiler

LOL

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/2/2022 at 2:09 AM, Acolytesix said:

So did that key in the drawer ever get fixed?

Nope. It's a typical bug in more missions I think. You can close the drawer and open it again and then you can frob it.

Anyway, I found it a mission in need for a graphical update. Poor textures (also almost no variation), noshadows almost everywhere, light leaking through walls in lots of places and it is utterly empty. There's also this door that you can walk through.

The castle surroundings are pretty though.

Edited by datiswous
typo

Yep the mission is pretty old and has some glitchy flaws, not much of a storyline, and empty furniture-less rooms, so it's not going to have depth and look and feel like recent ones, but the vertical-ness and snowy scenery is what makes it great. You rope up the castle to top balconies and you get a great view on a majestic scale. That's what makes it a memorable mission for me.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Making a note:

During the 2.04 development cycle:

Source Revision 6550 Assets 14407  the door on the balcony became nonsolid for the player

It was still working on Assets 14406 and Source 6544.

6544 was introduced at 14404 and no other binaries were added between.

14407 only added binaries ( compared to 14406 ) so this was not an asset \ def issue.

Edit:

During the 2.04 dev era ( 2015 to 2016 ) we still compiled game dll's. The breaking change happened in Rev 6551 ( the tdm console only renders to binary revision )

Changes:

https://github.com/stgatilov/darkmod_src/commit/3f6f6f62bbba029bbcfec271ef08cac68fbfc2e4

@stgatilov I don't see any problem areas in this commit. Can you confirm?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I noticed that ghostly door too last time I played. Theo's not around these days but I very much doubt if he'd mind if you just plopped some clip over it.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

At first I thought it was some wild precision bug but it looks like the skin might be nonsolid somehow and SteveL's change made the nonsolid attribute work? Either that or skin detection is somehow borked in this map.

Feel free to edit the map, I'm no expert mapper but I might be able to perform some workaround by manipulating the entity.

Edit:

I fixed it with the following change:

// entity 4
{
"classname" "atdm:mover_door"
"name" "atdm_mover_door_8"
"lock_picktype" "-"
"lock_pins" "0"
"locked" "1"
"solid" "1"
"model" "atdm_mover_door_8"
"origin" "710 -248 2050"
"rotate" "0 90 0"
"snd_close" "door_shut_06"
"snd_open" "door_open_08"
"used_by" "Balcony_door_keey"
// "skin" "door_007_1"
// primitive 0

Will upload the fix to the mission database.

I don't see anything wrong with the door_007_1 skin but I would advise testing it in-game before using it going forward until this is fully sorted.

Edit 2:

The updated mission is now available in the mission database.

Feel free to offer other fixes to this mission as long as they do not:

Change visuals

Change gameplay design

( Any purely bugged things that the mission author acknowledges "needs fixing" such as keys that are inaccessible or critical items that fall through surfaces when touched, etc can be fixed by any mapper and submitted for validation by the team. )

• Like 1

I wanted to ensure that collision on the door was forced to generate during Dmap. I can try reverting the compile artifacts and see if the fix still works.

1 hour ago, nbohr1more said:

I wanted to ensure that collision on the door was forced to generate during Dmap. I can try reverting the compile artifacts and see if the fix still works.

Edit:

The fix works without the dmap. Reverted the dmap in the mission database.

• Thanks 1