The Dark Mod Forums

[Resolved in TDM 2.0] Untethered Dark Mod

vorob

Just came across something that is probably known but...

There are base textures like caulk that need transferred over. Noticeable when editing without Doom3 installed. But other than that editting without even owning the game is quite possible, just a bit hard to check your work. Still, it would be possible to pretty much build an entire mission, then maybe collab and have someone with the game put in some final touches/testing.

Unlike Dromed wysiwyg, you don't have to compile to see the work you've done.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Ah, yes, I know about the editor textures, the game spews a few warnings. But someone would need to recreate these from scratch in Gimp or Photoshop. Then I can gladly add the material definitions.

PS: Editing w/o D3 should now be easier, since you have "info_player_start" ;)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Sorry, don't have a definite list. But nodraw, and caulk would be the first obvious kinds. Of course, you could just check the colors out in the editor :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

At the moment loading a mission fails when the first collision model should be loaded:

idCollisionModelManagerLocal::TrmFromModel: model models/darkmod/weapons/longswordlow.lwo has too many vertices.
  166 vertices (3 KB)
  449 edges (15 KB)
  278 polygons (18 KB)
 0 brushes (0 KB)
 8 nodes (0 KB)
  304 polygon refs (2 KB)
 0 brush refs (0 KB)
  109 internal edges
   11 sharp edges
 0 contained polygons removed
   32 polygons merged
   40 KB total memory used
TODO: Sys_SetClipboardData
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
ModelGenerator memory: No LOD entries.
--------------------------------------
ERROR: idMoveable 'atdm_moveable_longsword_1': cannot load collision model models/darkmod/weapons/longswordlow.lwo

I have no idea why, tho. Maybe some material definition is missing?

Yeah, the textures are easy enough, I almost did some work on that.

I'll try and get a list as I don't have Doom3 on the laptop, so it's pretty easy to see what's missing. Though I can't garantee I won't miss somehting.

I figure we want them to basically be the same, but need to mark them. So maybe same base color, a light overlay of the TDM clock, and bold words in Dark11 font across the top?

Top of my head:

Caulk : bright pink - white text

collision : bright green - black text

shadow : black, white text.

visportal :(I think we have our own?) ugly brown splotchy

nodraw: purple black text

nodraw solid: pink/purple checkers, black text?

monster clip: red yellow text?

playr clip: red white text?

Is black.tga just black? And what is "flat.tga"? Do you know under which paths these are stored?

Also, deadite4, if you recreated these from scratch, maybe we could jus re-use yours?

PM sent. Also if you guys are interested in some other needed art, we don't mind sharing. We've recreated around 70 art assets so far that pull a resemblance of some Doom 3 art we were using. It's all made from scratch by Rocket. It's obviously different and new art, but made as a suitable replacement to the originals......some lights, some decals, some particle art, couple cubemaps.....not sure what you guys might be looking for.

• Like 3

Thanx, we mainly look for replacing any asset from D3 we are using. At the moment we don't want to replace assets we don't use, but finding out which ones we use is a bit tricky as missions don't load (due to the collision model problem).

Once that is cleared, I think we might have a list of things that are missing. Most of them are rather easy (and we already repalced quite a few, too), but if we can save ourselves a bit of work, we won't complain :) So thanx for the offer.

Edit: The most problematic ones are probably the zombies and their animations - sounds and textures are easily replaced, but not animations nor models.

I could definitely take a look through your models. It's always nice to have more stuff, but it really depends on what they are. Like Tels said most Doom3 stuff doesn't need replaced since it is so modern/spacey.

It's the 'Edge of Chaos ' mod right? Just looked at Moddb, You have some great looking textures we could use. Metals, tiles, stones, bricks, trims... We probably need those more than models.

Anything that replaces the Hell texture set as I know some FM's use them.

We've created our own alternatives to the following art assets. This is the majority of what we'll actually need to recreate. The rest of our project was created with our own work. We don't need to recreate any models, animations, or rigs as they were all created in house so can't really help with that. The player model is the only model that broke in our move over.

//LIGHTS

biground1
round
falloff_exp2
squarelight1a
squarelight1
cloudscroll2
lightgratelight
bspot01_cv
impflash
lightgratelight2
bspot01
blamplight
blamplight_cv
blamplight2
blamplighte3
blamplighttile
grate6
roundfire
plasmalight

//PARTICLE IMAGE ASSETS

billow3_glow
plasma
duffyboltver3_white
duffybolt2_white
hellholefire
boomboom
barrelpoof
blacksmokepuff
rocketbacklit
bioscansmoke
smokepuff
ember_mid
barrelexpbase1
dust2
boomboom2
dust
dust2bits -
smokepuffalpha
billow_glow
pfirebig2
boomboom4
dustcloud
round001
bug_goo3
fbeam
drop2
droppuddle
dim_disk
boomboom3
dustcloud_opaque
firesparks
vp1
vp1_alpha
vp1tilehoriz_alpha
candlefire

//ENV CUBE MAPS
gen2
sheen

//SFX
untitled001
fire_strip
armorvieweffect2
black_2

//DECALS
dsplat2
dsplat11
dsplat5
dsplat7
greystatica
bloodspray
genericdamage
shot_glass

The Wulfen texture pack has replacements for most of the Hell textures and Serpentine was gonna add those AFAIR... :)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hexen was the best game ever when I was a teenager, first pc game that I owned actually. I played it top to botton many times, a friend then gave me the Dark Citadel expansion and I was blown away, the maps were gorgeous, a pity they didnt do any new art assets, as that could have been a whole new game (and a pity they didnt add awesome RPG elements like the Korax Mod crowd did). Anyway, this mod is brilliant and its definetly on my list for when I get a bit of real free time, great work guys (and also the community spirit, pretty cool).

Edited by RPGista

Wow! Thanks Deadite4. Very generous of you and the EOC team. I hope there is some way we can return the favor.

If you guys want any of the TGA assets on my list above just let me know and I'll pack it all up for you all (Rocket is all for it in the name of our small community). The only thing we would ask in return is please credit Mr. Rocket, speak well of us, and if/when you guys get a working solution to the glprog issue with the open source code...........share it with us :). The glprog thing is, so far, the only issue we don't have a solution for. At the moment we are using the Doom 3 shaders while in development with the hope that when we are ready for our next release someone has come up with something they are willing to share.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is most welcome, just tried the web link on your profile and it dosent work btw.

Good call. updated. Thanks.

Offer to assist is still open, btw. We are down to just 22 warnings in our console as standalone and half of them are related to the missing player model.

Good call. updated. Thanks.

Offer to assist is still open, btw. We are down to just 22 warnings in our console as standalone and half of them are related to the missing player model.

Sorry, my bad, I haven't gotten around to revisit this topic - real life just had me occupied the last weeks. It's definitely on my "5 things to do before v1.08" list :) I am trying not get demotivated by remarks about our missing zombies too much...

Sorry, my bad, I haven't gotten around to revisit this topic - real life just had me occupied the last weeks. It's definitely on my "5 things to do before v1.08" list :) I am trying not get demotivated by remarks about our missing zombies too much...

You shouldn't get too demotivated as the zombie is progressing. I still need to sculpt him and make some adjustments to his overall form (like making the ribcage smaller at the top), but I wanted to see if I could import it properly into TDM before I worked too much on it. The animation isn't particularly good either as I had to redo it twice because I first made it in Blender 2.62, which apparently have shitty MD5 support (it has plug-ins for it but the model spazzed out when I used them), then I had to redo it all in Blender 2.49 (good support but non-compatible with 2.49+ animations) but I had forgotten to make it the right size so I had to remake it once again in the right scale. So yeah, the animations will get better.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I also fixed two-sided stencil shadowing by using the vendor neutral OpenGL 2.0 glStencilOpSeparate functionality and removed the unused nvidia and ati extensions. This gives a nice performance increase in heavily shadowed areas.

hells yeah. things to look forward to in the future.