The Dark Mod Forums

SOPA/ACTA Awareness Thread

STiFU

I guess most of you guys know about SOPA and ACTA, but seeing that there is no thread in these forums dealing with this topic, I was a little worried some of you might not be aware of this incoming threat and therefor don't fight it.

SOPA ("Stop Online Piracy Act") is a bill for the US only and as such, it is not as important here in the EU, but I thought I'd still mention it for you US-Taffers out there. I don't know too much about it for obvious reasons (it doesn't touch me after all), but I linked the wikipedia article.

ACTA ("Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement") is an approach to establish "international standards for intellectual property rights enforcement". The problem is, that ACTA goes way too far, as it will completely eliminate the online privacy of any individual. And that is by far not all. Here is a small "Everybody can understand it"-Type of video by Anonymous, explaining what ACTA is all about. You have to be critical of course when watching this video, given the source. But since there are no reports about this on TV at all (at least here in Germany), it is definitely worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Xg_C2YmG0

• Like 2

What was the movie with Harrison Ford called? Where he's in the future and everything is tracked by the state?

Guess if people become lazy this will become true in no matter what.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

What was the movie with Harrison Ford called? Where he's in the future and everything is tracked by the state?

Guess if people become lazy this will become true in no matter what.

Blade Runner?

And yeah, I agree with the idea behind what you said, SeriousToni.

History has a tendency to repeat itself regarding the "bad" ideas higher ups come up with. So even if this doesn't pass we're going to see it again at a later date, in a different shape.

... After watching I have no clue wether the claims made are actually true or not.

And what do people usually do when they are uncertain about something (and they care enough)? Research that crap, maaaan. :D

Edited by GameDevGoro

Ok, but what if they are lazy or have no time or energy? :)

Seriously, I already did but I find reading legalese, german or english, really, REALLY tiring.

Yes, I understand. :D

Same thing goes though, either trust someone else on it and trust that they've got it right, or put yourself through the ridiculous thickness of finding out, what will likely be, the same information.

My point is that people very rarely have any reason to lie about something like this, especially not when the truth is within reach (anyone can, technically, read it).

Also that video is made for- ... prepare for a blown mind.... Lazy people! :D

Besides, if(when?) this crap passes, we'll have front row tickets to the show. ;)

Blade Runner?

And yeah, I agree with the idea behind what you said, SeriousToni.

History has a tendency to repeat itself regarding the "bad" ideas higher ups come up with. So even if this doesn't pass we're going to see it again at a later date, in a different shape.

Thanks GameDevGoro, that was what I meant :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

A part of me was actually hoping this stuff would pass. Now before you shout at me, hear me out. It would have been funny to watch them try and enforce all of that stuff. It would have been funnier to see companies like Google move to avoid dealing with all the bullshit, and it would have been even funnier to watch the economy go even more down the toilet than it already has.

Since I end up getting screwed even if I play by the rules, it makes me laugh to see things continue to get worse. Its all I can do at this point.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Here in the EU there's demonstrations this (coming) saturday. Hopefully many people will be there :)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212120558776447282985.0004b7b33e16f13c710c7&msa=0

Edited by SeriousToni

Yeah, I'll be at the protest in Dortmund, Germany. :)

By the way, the polish parliament apparently already signed ACTA and some members of said parliament wore guy-fawkes-masks as a protest. There are also very many protests in proland.

dk7VI.jpg

emailed my MP

I am emailing with regard to ACTA, something that if not already aware of you should be!

In a nutshell its a one sided document that was lobbied for behind closed doors by privately funded none elected companies & individuals that directly tramples all over human & civil rights, privacy and freedom of speech. The public and bodies acting in the public interest were deliberately excluded from the formulation of this document, which is hypocritical at best and completely illegal at worst!

My vote for you or this government was not for secret acts to be passed that directly effect my way of life without having so much as a say so on the matter!. The american's already tried it with SOPA/PIPA, but due to public outcry & pressure the act was never passed. The RIAA/MPAA (a privately owned/funded non-elected entity) were directly behind the lobbying of that and they have the duplicitous cheek to try and enforce their will on the rest of the world through secret negotiations and laundering. As an example look at the notorious lobbying campaign by the BPi and David Geffen (who is not even a resident of this country!) got Peter Mandelson's ill conceived economy bill rushed through and look at what that accomplished!?

I want my MP and my government to vote against this insidious treaty document and refuse to ratify it.

A part of me was actually hoping this stuff would pass. Now before you shout at me, hear me out. It would have been funny to watch them try and enforce all of that stuff. It would have been funnier to see companies like Google move to avoid dealing with all the bullshit, and it would have been even funnier to watch the economy go even more down the toilet than it already has.

I tend to feel much the same way, especially about software patents. Let's not resist this stuff, let's accelerate it — to the point where Joe Bloggs on the street can't buy a smartphone or a computer game because of some stupid patent lawsuit. When the average person starts to be affected, that's when something might actually change.

The british government have been looking at what people access and download for years, they have machines at british ip's monitoring whats going on, they fill up with so much information that they stop recording what they're monitoring after the first 5 hours of use, and they get reset every month.

The british government have been looking at what people access and download for years, they have machines at british ip's monitoring whats going on, they fill up with so much information that they stop recording what they're monitoring after the first 5 hours of use, and they get reset every month.

Not surprising, but as its done in secret it can't be enforced it publicly or otherwise. I imagien that Mi5 and Mi6 are the gov. depts that are using this info.

I tend to feel much the same way, especially about software patents. Let's not resist this stuff, let's accelerate it — to the point where Joe Bloggs on the street can't buy a smartphone or a computer game because of some stupid patent lawsuit. When the average person starts to be affected, that's when something might actually change.

I guess it's not that 'funny' anymore, when YOU are the one on the street who cannot buy a smartphone or computer game anymore... -_-

If this is true, then excellent - they're missing so much information..

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• 2 weeks later...

The internet memes don't always help the cause, lol, but at least people are protesting in favor of speech & freedom...

I found it funny the idea that the harder they crack down on information, the more people are tempted to just develop open source stuff, and then what do they do? Try to smother it like Microsoft tried to do with Java I guess.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

By the way, as I recently learned, most of the information in the ACTA-Video I posted above is outdated or simply wrong (Apparently the pieces of information I found are all from german sources though). However, the internet-community cannot be accused of being misinformed, because ACTA has been created in secrecy. If no one tells us what they do, it is obvious misconceptions will rise...