The Dark Mod Forums

Lamp Glass

Springheel

Ok, went through the last lantern section.

(First Image) I made the transparent glass version of those lanterns for putting candles inside. It looks pretty silly giving off light when there's nothing inside the lantern. Does it even need to be an entity?

Also, the two lanterns on the right--are they supposed to be unlit? If so, shouldn't they be bluish or grey rather than yellow?

(Second Image)

1. When putting out the flames, the light stayed on for a good five seconds, even after the smoke had disappeared.

2. Both of these are lit but are casting shadows.

3. A lot of the streetlamps are using the flickering, humming electric light. Aren't they supposed to be gaslights? They don't have antennae and when you use transparent glass you can even see the flame. Or are there more than one version?

4. Shadow issue.

5. The colour seems shifted toward the yellow-green spectrum (which looks a bit unappealing to me) but the light it casts seems more reddish.

6. Looks great! Since it's an entity, is it possible to have a sound when turning it on/off? Right now it's silent, but I though I've heard lamps "click" in maps when you do that.

7. When you turn off the lamp, it switches to the rusty skin?

post-9-0-11617100-1334511443_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-28136200-1334511456_thumb.jpg

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First image:

I dunno, the lit uses the color_me skin. I didn't change that. I agree it looks odd transparent. It can be made opaque though for the entity.

Yes those are off, if you flip the switch it toggles those on and the other off (the the entire map is set up)

Second image:

1-that's the same issue as the torch/shadow thing I think. There is some kind of coding relay bug or something. Maybe it has to do with multiple attachments? Tels, any ideas?

2-Those hooks are not part of the lamp. So there is no way to toggle them as far as I know. Maybe in a map per map basis.

3-I'm not really sure what is supposed to be gas or not. I never thought of streetlamps as gas. But it can be changed.

4-The shadow issue was in need of having the wire frame duplicated in polys (I requested you do this awhile back). 1: it looks bad to not see the back side of the wires since they stand out from the glass. 2:if I use two sided material to do that, it won't cast shadows. The base (which is the missing shadow) uses the same texture that is on the wires. So if i use twosided those polys are duplicated and they don't need to be, another reason why the wires should just have a backface.

5-I'll have to look. I do beileve it uses the same texture as the rest, so why it appears a bit green? Unless it uses a color_me skin (but i don't think so).

6-Bikers(my) new lamp model has a switch that turns on the lamp (not in the test map). Very similiar design. That's got some coding from tels so that the spawned switch can activate the light. I haven't been able to test in 1.08 until now, so I'm thinking of just adding the switch to these also. Then instead of frobbing a light you frob the switch. A bit more realistic, that'll also give it the sound)

7-I'll double check, but those are just two skins of the same lamp. If you flick the switch each should toggle on/off but keep the same skin.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

3-I'm not really sure what is supposed to be gas or not. I never thought of streetlamps as gas. But it can be changed.

All streetlamps were gas in Victorian times...it wasn't until the end of the 1800's that electric streetlamps were invented (not that we can't have some, but most should be gas).

The shadow issue was in need of having the wire frame duplicated in polys (I requested you do this awhile back)

Yes, I did this some time ago.

Additionally, I fixed another gaslight that had bad shadow issues on the glass, and fixed a few of the unlit light shaders that were using an additive blend (and thus glowing in the dark). There's probably a few more of the latter.

Regarding a switching sound, flame lights play a "hiss" when they go off. I guess we could add a "click" sound to the electric lights (hopefully all the electric lights use a sep. light entity for the light) and some sort of "pffffft" for the gas lights. I am not sure if lights can play a different sound when they go on, if not, this should be added, as it sounds very useful.

1: Which entity is it?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Missed this question. I don't know the actual entity name and I'm at work...it's the desk lamps though.

I'll handle the updating of the flame entities, btw. If you're low on time I can look into some of the other issues I reported as well.

I'll probably start getting on it soon again. Just been working through the whole computer issue/upgrade thing lately and just wasn't in the mood last weekend.

This weekend I have to test a beta map...

But we're still looking at summer/fall release probably? (not trying to postpone... I still have some model work and stuff i gotta get on too)

• 2 weeks later...

There's an issue with the fireplace entities that I don't quite understand. When extinguished, the logs do not switch to the unburnt skin.

The fireplace log entity has the proper skin set, so I'm not sure why it isn't working.

entityDef atdm:fireplace_wood_piece

{

"inherit" "atdm:fireplace_piece_base"

"model" "models/darkmod/fireplace/burntwood.lwo"

"editor_usage" "Wood to be used inside a fireplace. Should not be used."

"noshadows_lit" "1" // turn off shadow when lit

"noshadows" "1" // lit, so has no shadows

"skin_lit" "burning_logs"

"skin_unlit" "tdm_burnt_logs"

"skin" "burning_logs"

}

I'll try and take a look. I suppose maybe I thought they were supposed to still be glowing, as putting out the fire wouldn't necessarily extinguish the embers too.

Though from that def it should swap. Is the unburnt skin name correct?

Yes, the skin name is correct, and it appears set up properly. I don't know how those combo entities inherit from each other though...do all def_attached entities switch skins automatically?

I can't think of any other def_attached entities that switch skins. It's probably Tels area, he knows how to target def_attached items (see lamps with switches).

All the lamps that switch their skins are the entity with lights attached. The fire place is an object with a skin swap log attached.

The script object "tdm_light_holder" is the one that does the actual skin swap (e.g. it is not automatic on each entity).

However, the wood piece is attached to the fireplace, which has such an object, so it switches skin. However, I think I made a mistake there - the script probably only switches the skin on the base entity itself (e.g. not on anything attached to it) and even if it does, it would not retrieve the correct skin (it would swap the skin from the base entity, not the one from the attached).

Please file a bug tracker entry, I'll debug it then. Should be relatively easy to fix with a loop through all attached entities.

(In all other case, the base entity itself is the one which has the skin swap).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Fixed with revision #12810. - the loop over the childs (which turns them on or off) now also queries the child's skin, and if it differs from the wanted skin, swaps it. Tested it with the logs. Should now work for arbitrary attachements to any object which has the "tdm_light_holder" script object.

Been fixing some of the above issues, but I've noticed something happening that I don't recall seeing before.

When any of the yellowish electric lights get turned on, there is a sudden bright flash of white light like a flashbomb going off. It's very jarring, and I don't remember seeing it before. I don't know if it's due to the recent changes to the light scripts, or if it's something I did. Oddly, it doesn't happen on the blue-white lights.

Hm, is it possible that you go back a few revisions and test when it first occured? That would help narrowing it down.

Tho I am completely unsure what this change should be, that sounds more something broke from the interpolating inside the renderer? Or something like instead of going from "0...1" it goes "1,0..1".

Hm, is it possible that you go back a few revisions and test when it first occured?

I don't really want to risk that, as it tends to mess up my entire svn tree. Is anyone else noticing the behaviour, first of all?

When any of the yellowish electric lights get turned on, there is a sudden bright flash of white light like a flashbomb going off.

If you can identify specifically which light is doing this, I can check.

Some examples of lights doing this for me are:

atdm:lamp_electric_square_1_lit

atdm:lamp_electric_outdoor_down_lit

atdm:lamp_electric_shaded_lit

For each of these lights, I'm seeing the bright white flash a moment before the light comes on. Tels should probably look at these.

I also noticed that the shadows are being turned on much too late after these lights go out, so the increased delay we made the other day for torches needs to go back to what it was if the light is electric. I'll see if I can determine the difference in the script, and make the change.

The shadows come on appropriately for both electric and flame lights now. Rev 12823.

I looked at the On code for lights and didn't see any obvious reason for the white flash. Tels will need to look at that.

Also a note : the 'sound' keyword on lights seems to be completely broken - I'm not sure if it's worked since the gpl release however. I'll try to check out a really old copy of TDM later for experimenting. It also seems to be related to some strange rendering - as the lights are in a strange state where the engine makes bad culling choices about them. In short, kinda broken at the moment. That said, the 'broken' lighting is really fun to play with, might be worth making a similar keyword for helping to place things like directional lights.

If you're getting a pure white flash, it might be something dividing by zero or a null.

post-2075-0-12103500-1336280022_thumb.jpg