Photo

Fan Mission: Rightful Property - by jysk (2012/04/13)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: Rightful Property (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (1 votes [1.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.89%

2. Tolerable (6 votes [11.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

3. Good (24 votes [45.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.28%

4. Excellent (18 votes [33.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.96%

5. Near Perfect (4 votes [7.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

1. Poor (2 votes [3.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.77%

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.89%] - View)

3. Good (25 votes [47.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.17%

4. Excellent (22 votes [41.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.51%

5. Near Perfect (3 votes [5.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.66%

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.89%] - View)

3. Good (20 votes [37.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.74%

4. Excellent (27 votes [50.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.94%

5. Near Perfect (5 votes [9.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#27 PranQster

PranQster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

if you don't mind I'll post your message in editing tip of the day, because no need to use spoiler if you don't want to share this useful info with community. :)

True. I didn't need a spoiler. I think I used spoiler because the original post did. Please share it.
  • SiyahParsomen likes this

pranqname.gif Linux pranqster 4.14.44-desktop-1.mga7 #1 SMP Fri May 25 18:06:35 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#28 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

My rating:

Spoiler

In conclusion, your first darkmod fm ends up with good score. :) You should know that I voted yours as a regular darkmod fan mission without considering it's a first try, same goes to serioustoni's and any other missions. Otherwise it can be misleading to newcomers who don't know reason of high scores, beginners contest etc. If you have future plans on darkmod mapping, then be sure to browse this and this tutorial about creating large areas with better optimization if you haven't already.

#29 Chiron

Chiron

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Finished it. Excellent mission. The storytelling was quite compelling, and this is why I hated

Spoiler

#30 jysk

jysk

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the comments. :)

@ Chiron

Spoiler

Edited by jysk, 13 April 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#31 Diego

Diego

Modeler

• PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#32 The Elusive One

The Elusive One

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

Hmm, apparently i'm the only one having problems even starting this mission.

I get to the static text "Mission Loading - Please Wait" part and then after a short while, i'm staring at the main menu of The Dark Mod with no sound. No error messages or anything, it just aborts the mission for some reason.
I have never seen this behavior before with DarkMod and i just played through "House of Theo" and "Sneak and Destroy" without any problems what so ever.

Any help will be appreciated.

#33 Lady Jo

Lady Jo

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

I get to the static text "Mission Loading - Please Wait" part and then after a short while,...

Same problem for me, back to the desktop

#34 caedes

caedes

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

i can't believe you were a virgin :)
great gameplay and appearance :)
it would be a perfect mission if the story wouldn't be average. but i would give it 9 out of 10 points :)

i don't know much about mapping, but i hope there will be a new version with a performance tweaked market place. i also tried the mission on a very new and expensive gaming computer of a friend of mine and still the frame rate dropped extremely.

Spoiler

Edited by caedes, 14 April 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#35 rustmite

rustmite

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

Same problem as The elusive one and Lady Jo, Iwent a bit further and tried to start it again after it went to the menu with no sound and it came back with failed to span player error. Shelving this one until fixed.
CycloManiac!

#36 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

@TEO, LadyJo and Rustmite.

Have all 3 of your updated you TDM to the latest version from 1.06..?

#37 The Elusive One

The Elusive One

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

@TEO, LadyJo and Rustmite.

Have all 3 of your updated you TDM to the latest version from 1.06..?

Yes, i'm running 1.07. Just ran tdm_update.exe to confirm and it reported "All files are up to date".

#38 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9101 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Several missions produce unexplained crash to desktop errors when you set your language localization to anything other than English. Try changing your language setting back to English.
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#39 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5645 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Played this just now. My view, just briefly to save time.

Spoiler

Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#40 The Elusive One

The Elusive One

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Several missions produce unexplained crash to desktop errors when you set your language localization to anything other than English. Try changing your language setting back to English.

Nope, it's already set to English as it has always been.

#41 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Played this just now. My view, just briefly to save time.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#42 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

I agree with Siyah, and appreciate the structure of the mission. Sometimes a mission needs a laser-precise focus. Sometimes it needs to be vague and incidental. This mission is closer to the second style, but I think it works well.
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#43 jysk

jysk

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

@ The problems loading up the mission: Well i have absolutly no clue?! The mission loads up properly with my PCs and on the PC of other people too. What does the console say when it stopped loading? (CTRL+ALT+ ~ / STRG + ALT+ ^ ) I guess briefing and shop were then fine?

@ Performance: I am trying to make somehow "improved version" to VP at least the area behind the houses properly which may grant a few FPS (but will create some awkward "views" behind the houses because of adding some skyportals there), but the very "heavy" scenes wont be much effected. Obv when the player stands at the bank and he looks down the whole market or the other turn around from the balcony there is nothing i can do i guess.

@ Focus:

Well the mission was intended to let the player explore some additional house/sceneries beside the main objective. Ofc it wasnt all planned this way and i had to change things during mapping. E.g. at first i wanted to make only 2 houses and a Inn in a L-shape at the docks but then I ironically thought that would kill of performance (*lol*) because this way the player would see everything from start on. So i made the castle area and then the town.

I still appreciate the feedback. :)

Edited by jysk, 14 April 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#44 The Elusive One

The Elusive One

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

@ The problems loading up the mission: Well i have absolutly no clue?! The mission loads up properly with my PCs and on the PC of other people too. What does the console say when it stopped loading? (CTRL+ALT+ ~ / STRG + ALT+ ^ ) I guess briefing and shop were then fine?

Yes briefing and shop are fine, it crashes just before entering the mission proper.

Anyway i did some testing and found that it's sound related. I'm using a Soundblaster X-FI card, so i use OpenAL/EAX in DarkMod/Doom3. If i change settings to not use OpenAL/EAX the mission starts normally.

So something sound related in this mission makes it crash and the console output confirms it:
ERROR: idSoundCache: error generating OpenAL hardware buffer

But this is the only DarkMod mission this has happened with, so something must be different in this mission to trigger it.

I have attached console dumps with OpenAL/EAX enabled (condump_OpenAl_crash.txt) and OpenAL/EAX disabled (condump_noOpenAL_ok.txt).
Maybe you can see something in them, that helps.

Attached Files

#45 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Spoiler

#46 jysk

jysk

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Yes briefing and shop are fine, it crashes just before entering the mission proper.

Anyway i did some testing and found that it's sound related. I'm using a Soundblaster X-FI card, so i use OpenAL/EAX in DarkMod/Doom3. If i change settings to not use OpenAL/EAX the mission starts normally.

So something sound related in this mission makes it crash and the console output confirms it:
ERROR: idSoundCache: error generating OpenAL hardware buffer

But this is the only DarkMod mission this has happened with, so something must be different in this mission to trigger it.

I have attached console dumps with OpenAL/EAX enabled (condump_OpenAl_crash.txt) and OpenAL/EAX disabled (condump_noOpenAL_ok.txt).
Maybe you can see something in them, that helps.

Well the map has nothing special regarding sounds, just a number of speakers + zone ambient sounds, nothing special which had not been used in other missions. I added your tip into the first post, but there is nothing i can do further as i cant reproduce it (and therefore cant test around) and i have the feeling this is more mod than map related. x:

@ Jaxa sounds strange, but seems to be mod related dunno. x:

Edited by jysk, 14 April 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#47 pwl

pwl

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

jysx: Great mission!! Loved the spider! almost wet myself! Hope to see some more from you. keep up the fine work :rolleyes: :D

I also experianced stuff falling through the shed floor like the bales of cotton and i bumped into the bucket by the door and it disappeared into the floor?? :blink:

#48 jysk

jysk

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

The moveables in the shed are sticking in the ground. I will fix that. Thanks for the comment though. Pwl can you put your first sentence into a spoiler (per "[ spoiler]" and "[/spoiler]"), so you wont take the surprise from others away? You surly want them to wet themselves too. ;)

Edited by jysk, 14 April 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#49 The Elusive One

The Elusive One

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

Well the map has nothing special regarding sounds, just a number of speakers + zone ambient sounds, nothing special which had not been used in other missions. I added your tip into the first post, but there is nothing i can do further as i cant reproduce it (and therefore cant test around) and i have the feeling this is more mod than map related. x:

Actually i found a thread on this forum about this problem http://forums.thedar...hile-eax-is-on/ but unfortunately it was never resolved. I have the same problem with Business as Usual V2 and St. Albans Cathedral V1.6. Oddly i don't have the problem with St. Albans Cathedral V1.3. So something was changed from v1.3 to v1.6 of that mission that causes this. Maybe Bikerdude has an idea about changes that could cause this?

Anyways i can now play the mission and have done so, and enjoyed it immensely!

#50 jysk

jysk

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

I uploaded a new version in the first post. Could the people responsible for the mainpage upload it? The DL Links for the mission dont work anyway btw. ;)

Apart from fixing some minor bugs/textures (nothing really notable except the sticking moveables in the shed) its only performance optimizing. I sealed the southern part of the city off from the rest (+ made some VPs working / added a few more), so some views, like when coming out of the castle area, have high fps now. With that + removing many lights /removed some overlapping lights the market itselfs seems to have also a few fps more, but its still heavy for older PCs i guess.

Ofc now you can get see castle wall from the market anymore, but it shouldnt be noticable as i made the market wall between the houses higher.

Edited by jysk, 15 April 2012 - 02:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users